C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Base or 2012 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
For me personally its the Auto trans. ZR1 would be the one but I'm not interested in a manual anymore.
Totally understandable. I'm not sure how long ago you got your GS so that's why this was mainly for the OP. The GS was substantially cheaper than the Z06 when they were both new.

Originally Posted by jaybee924
The downside I see to the ZO6 is if the heads/valve issue has been addressed because if not you will need to fix that. I'm glad I got the Grand Sport and I knew nothing about that problem with those until reading it over and over on here. It has more power though. LoL
Yeah, but it can be fixed if it has the problem. You do have to spend roughly another $2,000 though. You could always have them inspected for around $300 to see if you even have any cause for concern.

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
GS looks a little better. Not A lot IMO. Not a big fan of the double gills on the side. Or the way the rear wheel air damn is soo small. I do like the wide body and front splitter. Just nit picking... but I wouldnt pay 4-5k more for a GS. I dont track my car soo.. For the same price Id def go Z06.
I really am not a fan of the gills on the side either. The Z06 front fender looks far better. Even base style (outside of it being narrow) fender looks better, but that's just my opinion. I also prefer the red Z06 calipers over the silver on the GS. I'm glad someone else sees what I'm saying though. Just seems like a Z06 for roughly the same price is a no brainier if you have no issues with what I mentioned in my original post.

I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match over the Z06 vs GS. Just curious why the OP wasn't checking out Z06s.

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-01-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I'm glad someone else sees what I'm saying though.
I was in the market for a GS as well when I was looking. All were 32k range. I ended up with my base LS3 with 40k miles for 26.5k. I couldnt turn that down.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

I was in the market for a GS as well when I was looking. All were 32k range. I ended up with my base LS3 with 40k miles for 26.5k. I couldnt turn that down.
Definitely a great deal.

There are no arguments from me regarding the GS looking better than the base. I think most of us can agree wide body > narrow body. I just feel like if I spent 32-34k on a GS, I would later regret not spending just a couple grand more for a Z06. The price gap between the base and the GS is pretty significant. The price gap between a Z06 and ZR1 is even more significant. The GS and a Z06 are so close in price that I just don't get why some wouldn't consider a Z06 if they were okay with what I mentioned above.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:17 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Definitely a great deal.

There are no arguments from me regarding the GS looking better than the base. I think most of us can agree wide body > narrow body. I just feel like if I spent 32-34k on a GS, I would later regret not spending just a couple grand more for a Z06.
Agreed wide body looks better.

I was in a similar position looking at LS2 C6s. If i got the LS2, Id always regret not spending a few more thousand on a LS3. But my budget was 28k. So I couldnt reelly go for GS or Z06. My plan is to enjoy this C6 LS3 for 6-8 years then upgrade to a C8.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Agreed wide body looks better.

I was in a similar position looking at LS2 C6s. If i got the LS2, Id always regret not spending a few more thousand on a LS3. But my budget was 28k. So I couldnt reelly go for GS or Z06. My plan is to enjoy this C6 LS3 for 6-8 years then upgrade to a C8.
Oh, I totally get you. I know I would have regretted not getting the LS3 as well over the LS2. That was the only real option I had with my budget at the time (along with wanting the 3LT and Z51 package). Not everyone can afford the GS or Z06 so it makes sense to get the base as it's the only real option. It's when you can afford a GS that I don't understand why someone wouldn't spend another couple grand for a Z06. The ZR1 is way more expensive than the GS and Z06 so it makes sense for people to pass on the ZR1. Otherwise, we would all get the ZR1

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-01-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:37 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Oh, I totally get you. I know I would have regretted not getting the LS3 as well over the LS2. That was the only real option I had with my budget at the time (along with wanting the 3LT and Z51 package). Not everyone can afford the GS or Z06 so it makes sense to get the base as it's the only real option. It's when you can afford a GS that I don't understand why someone wouldn't spend another couple grand for a Z06. The ZR1 is way more expensive than the GS and Z06 so it makes sense for people to pass on the ZR1. Otherwise, we would all get the ZR1
Yeah I wish I have a bigger budget. I was at the Chevy Dealership today drooling over a C7 Z06 they had in all black. Was soooo sinister looking. But Im just an average guy and Im glad I got my LS3. I love it. And as far as Corvette owners go Im kinda young for them (37). Now when Im 50+ and have a bigger bank roll Id def getting the most bad *** Vette Available at the time.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:31 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
If I had the money for a GS, I would get a GS.
I love my narrow body but the wide body looks even better.
Couldn't have said it better, but I'll say it again! LOL

I love my 2008 base, but I LOVE the wide body GS. When I upgrade, I'm either going 2013 GS or Z06, or 2014+ Stingray.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:20 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
they are not that hard to find, but you have to look outside your local area. Some with higher miles in the $29K range....

I would not be so sure they will not come down more. You have not presented an offer, so to them, you are not yet even a buyer. Why would you not offer less????? Man, all they can say is "no".

Even if they only come down to $35, you have saved $500.
Oh, if I like the car and go for it I will definitely try to get them down some. I'm friendly with this dealer so I know I'm getting a decent deal.
As far as cheaper GSs I've looked pretty much all over the country and maybe a super high mileage one can be found for under 30 but they all seem to be consistently in the 35-40k range. I would love to be proven wrong though. I'm also picky in that it has to be a manual transmission so that limits my options substantially as well.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the GS if it's in good shape. It will be a lot cheaper than buying the base, realizing later you wished you had the GS, and trading in the base for the GS.

Resale will be much better on the GS too.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 AM
usr5000
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
OK,
Looking for some opinions. I'm scheduled to go look at a 2011 base tomorrow in cyber gray. It has 17k miles and is going for 32k.

Just a few minutes ago, a local dealer who has been looking out for me let me know of a 2012 GS in Supersonic Blue that just came in that has 25k miles going for about 35,500.

Both cars look great and have the same options (1lt, dual mode exhaust and that's pretty much it.)

Since the 2011 is at carmax I can get a warranty whereas the 2012 is "as is" and has more miles (not sure the difference between 17k and 25k miles is significant.)

I was all set with my decision until just now. Part of me thinks just save the 3-4k since I rarely even drive (maybe about 20 miles a week tops). The other part of me says to go ahead and spend the extra and get the GS since I do like the wide body look.

Any thoughts?
I like the GS and I have a Base.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
I appreciate this opinion and it actually is something I've been wondering. How much exactly does it cost to replace brakes and tires on a GS vs the base? I've actually never owned a car long enough (atleast since high school) where I've had to have the brakes or tires changed. I'm curious to know what a routine brake job and tire change cost becuase, since this is used, I will most likely need to have that done.

As far as tracking or not tracking, I don't see the GS as a track car. I see the Z06 as a track car and even then, I doubt more than 50% of owners track them if that. The GS to me is a base with an appearance package. Sure it handles better but that's not why most people are (were) buying them.

Thanks again.
You can get pads for around $100 that will not dust like the stock ones, but they will give up some stopping power. Not a big deal on the street, but they are not suitable for track use. I never understood the idea of paying for a big brake package then putting on inferior pads just because the OE one "cause too much dust".
As far as tires go, someone else mentioned that there are no all season options for the widebodies, and finding a matched set is getting harder as well. When my OE Goodyears were shot @ 12.5k I went with non RF's, but it still cost me almost $1,500.
The GS is a lot more than an appearance package, think more along the lines of a Z06 suspension/brake/cooling/trans/rear on a base frame with a LS3.
If you really want the widebody look then by all means, get a GS, but do not sell the base model short, especially if the right one comes up.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 AM
cmmeadows
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Grand Sport! try to get the price down a bit of course.

I'll be honest. When i bought my 2011 GS last year I didn't even know the differences between a base and a GS. I just knew that it looked different than a base model and awesome.

I get comps all the time with people saying "now THAT looks good"! Most say it looks better than a c7.

Its the wide body, slightly lower ride height and the gills that really make a GS stand out. Not to mention the fat tires and the wide mean look coming at you from the front.
^ THIS! Non-corvette people have thought my car was brand new. The difference between base and wide body in person is big. I was in the same situation and for $900 more I got the GS. Best decision ever!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I'll let you guess what my opinion is
NSF

Gosh, what happened to your lawn? Nice vette though.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 AM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cmmeadows
...The difference between base and wide body in person is big. I was in the same situation and for $900 more I got the GS. Best decision ever!
2 months ago I went shopping for a newer C6 (I had an '05 coupe with M6) with a drop top and an A6. I had no particular interest in a wide body. I've read stories on this forum for years about how much owners love them. I'd seen hundreds of pictures and seen a few in person from a distance, but I had never really looked at them and I was not much impressed.

Maine's only Corvette dealer had an add on their web site for exactly what I was looking for in color, options and mileage but it was in a Grand Sport. I was totally sold on the car within minutes of seeing it. After driving it I was completely hooked. What a difference in handling!

Pictures do not do the Grand Sport justice. In person they are far more aggressive looking than in pictures. Maybe it's because they are 3 dimensional and pictures are 2 dimensional, IDK. But for most Corvette people, to see GS's close up and in person is to love them.

-Mark

Last edited by MarkB3; 07-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sober30 (03-18-2023)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
Gosh, what happened to your lawn? Nice vette though.
I live in Arizona, a state that's not so stupid as to try and turn a desert into lush green foliage as Mexifornia has done, and in the meantime sucking all the water out of the Colorado River and surrounding water table, that's what happened. We landscape like it should be, and use very little water, plus I don't have to MOW THE LAWN or should I say "rocks"
NSF
carl3989 (03-15-2023)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:45 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I wouldn't let the garbage Carmax warranty factor in the decision at all.

Although I personally don't prefer them, I'd recommend the GS only for future resale purposes. Narrow bodies from the GS era are much less desirable IMO.

Edited because I almost caused someone to stroke out.

Last edited by 919cw313; 07-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:48 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I live in Arizona, a state that's not so stupid as to try and turn a desert into lush green foliage as Mexifornia has done, and in the meantime sucking all the water out of the Colorado River and surrounding water table, that's what happened. We landscape like it should be, and use very little water, plus I don't have to MOW THE LAWN or should I say "rocks"
NSF

Yard looks great! I'm jealous. My landscaping and yard (in NJ) desire a lot of attention and time that I just don't have the time and energy for. It costs me a good penny to pay someone else for upkeep. My next yard will be like my Vette, low maintenance.

To the OP, GS all the way!!! A Corvette should only come in widebody, and then we wouldn't need to have this discussion.
Not So Fast (07-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Base or 2012 GS?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:11 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

"Narrow bodies from the GS era are undesirable"

That is one of the strangest things I have ever read on here. Maybe "not as desirable", but "undesirable"?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

To the OP, is this the GS you are looking at? At Criswell Chrysler? If so, it looks pretty good in the pictures.

http://www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge...c00a1741d4.htm
Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
"Narrow bodies from the GS era are undesirable"

That is one of the strangest things I have ever read on here. Maybe "not as desirable", but "undesirable"?
Seriously one of the strangest things you've read here? C'mon.

But if it makes you feel better, they are much less desirable, coveted,
sought after, in demand, etc
. Whatever you want to call it.

Last edited by 919cw313; 07-01-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Base or 2012 GS?