C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert top not going up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Vert top not going up!

Need you help for a friend that is up here for the summer. He has a 13 Vert. He called me this morning telling me he could not get the top up and as I have had 2 C6s wondered if I could help. He tried & checked everything. Even got out the OM and reviewed the procedure to move tops and what to do if you have to to raise the top manually. Car is garaged and its raining quite heavy and this Vette is the only car he has to drive.

I came over to his house and I tried everything I knew and the top would not go up. I double checked the manual and was at a loss. I then told him raise your windows and see if they go down when you press the top up button. Well he tried that! Both windows came down and then the tonnau opened and the top went up. He did a top up top down a couple more times and all was well.

Anyone on here have any ideas or thought about what happened. Post them here and I will give them to my non computer owning friend.

Thanks--- Dave, a long time former contributor on the C6s forum!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

If the windows are not indexed, the top won't work. Wondering if he 'indexed' the windows when he closed them.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z28lt1
If the windows are not indexed, the top won't work. Wondering if he 'indexed' the windows when he closed them.
Thanks--

Nope, I was standing right there he just put the windows up normally.

Best bet this was just some sort of a electronic glitch. My next move was to tell him to disconnect the battery for a couple minuets and "sort of do a reprogram" That little procedure seems to help in a lot of situations!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Shutting down for the night so I will make this a TTT post in hopes of possibly getting more info from the “night shift”
Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

My vote is that he re-indexed the windows. I don't have to do the up and double hold to re-index mine, just up and hold slightly, even though that's not what the OM says. If mine re-index this easily, I'm sure there are others out there that do this as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
My vote is that he re-indexed the windows. I don't have to do the up and double hold to re-index mine, just up and hold slightly, even though that's not what the OM says. If mine re-index this easily, I'm sure there are others out there that do this as well.
I would suggest that the OP have his friend follow the indexing procedure anyway, just to be on the safe side, but I do agree that his probably work like yours do.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:48 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Thanks to all that posted, with 3 of your agreeing its quite possible.

He did a normal up window, I was watching but if it can re index that easily that could explain it. My previous C6s and now my 15 you got to hold like it says in the manual!

Bottom line my buddy is now a happy camper again ---

Get notified of new replies

To Vert top not going up!

Quick Reply: Vert top not going up!