C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A visit to Starbucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 04:02 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Default A visit to Starbucks

I was out this morning and, on the way home, rolled by one of the local Starbucks for a cup of black java. I was in the drive thru in my Vette and, when I got to the window, the kid told me "She paid for your coffee". I had to ask him to repeat it, because that has never happened to me before. I mean the Victory Red Corvette doesn't exactly make me look like I need charity. I guess she was "paying it forward". Is this a pretty common event that I'm unaware of, or is it because I'm just so darn good lookin in my pretty little red Corvette?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Has happened to me twice... once by a nice "older" couple in a nice SUV and once from a young lady who I let "snake" into the long line heading towards the drive-thru. As with all "Random Acts of Kindness" like this... I continue the RAoK by paying it fwd to the person(s) behind me...

Life is good... it's good to be nice!

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I was out this morning and, on the way home, rolled by one of the local Starbucks for a cup of black java. I was in the drive thru in my Vette and, when I got to the window, the kid told me "She paid for your coffee". I had to ask him to repeat it, because that has never happened to me before. I mean the Victory Red Corvette doesn't exactly make me look like I need charity. I guess she was "paying it forward". Is this a pretty common event that I'm unaware of, or is it because I'm just so darn good lookin in my pretty little red Corvette?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:10 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

it happens.....there are stories of dozens of people doing that at some locations...
Old 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

It's because the Vette is so good looking - not you

I have not heard of this. Very cool however

Last edited by Carvin; 07-15-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2017, 05:29 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I haven't done that, but if I am at a breakfast restaurant and see a person(s) in a military uniform I'll ask the waitperson for their check. Did that numerous times the last 10 years in airports when I travel business.
The following users liked this post:
joliett (07-20-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've heard of this but don't understand how it works at a drive thru. How did "she" know what you would order and how much to pay?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Typically, if one is going to start (or participate) in a RAoK, one simply tells the cashier that they want to pay for the person behind them.... the cashier informs them how much the order is.. and the person can agree or decline (e.g., maybe the bill is $23.00 with drinks, sandwiches, etc.). Assuming the amount is doable, then the person who initiates pays for the next person's order and then that person is told... "The person before you paid for your order...". The cashier doesn't ask you if you want to reciprocate and continue the RAoK, but if you say, "I'd like to do the same for the person behind me..." then the cashier will inform you what their total is and ask if you want to cover it (so one always has the option to not participate...).

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've heard of this but don't understand how it works at a drive thru. How did "she" know what you would order and how much to pay?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I haven't done that, but if I am at a breakfast restaurant and see a person(s) in a military uniform I'll ask the waitperson for their check. Did that numerous times the last 10 years in airports when I travel business.
yep. i don't do that kind of stuff randomly (paying for the customer behind me) but i do grab the check for military, firefighters, and cops when i have the chance. i try to be anonymous but sometimes the wait staff give me away.....and then i do enjoy the 45 second chat as they head out the door.
Not So Fast (07-15-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EVRose
Since we all order at a mic back by the menu board, I would suppose the clerk at the window, who told me "she paid for it", probably was aware of what the next car in line had ordered when she volunteered to pay for me. Just a guess.

Last edited by RagTop69; 07-17-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

At a Starbucks, you could just give a $5 bill and say - put that towards the customer's drink behind me and keep any extra as a tip. If you're going to do it, you'll be close with $5. Hopefully, the coffee barista didn't just make a $5 tip.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 PM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a cop at dunkin donuts do that for me one morning....talk about the irony....
carl3989 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Went to the airport yesterday to pick my daughter up and a Cadillac backed out and further back just to let us out ahead of him. There are nice folks out there.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Amen! In case most people don't realize it (and I know it's hard to believe...), but there are far more "nice folks" out there than the 1%'ers that seem to get all the press...

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Went to the airport yesterday to pick my daughter up and a Cadillac backed out and further back just to let us out ahead of him. There are nice folks out there.
Raffman55 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Amen! In case most people don't realize it (and I know it's hard to believe...), but there are far more "nice folks" out there than the 1%'ers that seem to get all the press...
So it's your studied opinion that the "1%ers who get all the press" aren't nice folks by definition? How does being "nice" bear on the amount of your income???
Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 PM
OlyC6
Pro

So it's your studied opinion that the "1%ers who get all the press" aren't nice folks by definition? How does being "nice" bear on the amount of your income???
Whoa! What's up man? Just say'n that the majority of the folks out in the world are nice people... and that the 1% er's that do things like steal or cheat seniors, steal in general, or outright go out of their way to physically harm people for no reason, etc. (which is what makes the evening news...) are representative of the world.

Not sure why you bring income into this at all... income has nothing to do with someone being "nice" and not sure where you're reading that into my comment.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Whoa! What's up man? Just say'n that the majority of the folks out in the world are nice people... and that the 1% er's that do things like steal or cheat seniors, steal in general, or outright go out of their way to physically harm people for no reason, etc. (which is what makes the evening news...) are representative of the world.

Not sure why you bring income into this at all... income has nothing to do with someone being "nice" and not sure where you're reading that into my comment.
1% er is common terminology for those in the top 1% of income so that's why your post was read that way.

Your post phrased differently would be that 99% of the people in the world are nice while the 1% that are bad get all the press

Last edited by 96GS#007; 07-18-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
1% er is common terminology for those in the top 1% of income so that's why your post was read that way.

Your post phrased differently would be that 99% of the people in the world are nice while the 1% that are bad get all the press
Well, lynch me on the forum for coming from a background where 1% er's is reserved for those who exhibit anti-social behavior. Next time you have the opportunity to talk to a law enforcement officer, ask him or her what their definition of a 1%er is and they won't say something like, "Oh, you mean Warren Buffet??" Peace out!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

This will never happen to me......I will NEVER go through a drive through anywhere !!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've paid for the person behind me at the drive through a few times.

One time it was a police officer. I just wanted the officer to feel appreciated. He had ordered the Double Baby Back Rib Burger from Carl's Jr. He must have a very strong stomach.

Get notified of new replies

To A visit to Starbucks

Quick Reply: A visit to Starbucks