C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why not C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 PM
megatron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
Here's my list: 1) The ugliest rear end in Corvette history. Dont tell me the round lights are dated bs since Ferrrai does it and it looks great. 2) Cramped interior. Not a fan of the C4 swooped dash or the lack of room. 3) Cylinder deactivation. I do not want this garbage along with direct injection. 4) 8spd auto has been a disaster for GM in the Vette and all other product lines. 5) The car is too busy with so many angles and lines, nothing flows smoothly. 6) Quality issues still with 17 & 18s. This far in the model year there shouldnt be paint or mechanical issues(topics in C7 gen).

To all of you who don't care about any of these issues good luck with your purchase. I for one am happy with my trouble free 13GS and have bought my last new Vette.
^^^^^this precisely. Well stated.
The following users liked this post:
jballard (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

This is been discussed over and over, but I have never liked the C7 design, still don't like it, and I am now at the point where I barely even look at C7s on the road. On the other hand, I still can't stop staring at my 13 GS coupe, which I am keeping.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
This is been discussed over and over, but I have never liked the C7 design, still don't like it, and I am now at the point where I barely even look at C7s on the road. On the other hand, I still can't stop staring at my 13 GS coupe, which I am keeping.
Do you still wave?

I will still wave at you, regardless.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have overcome my dislike of the rear styling of the C7 and would consider buying one except for the fact that I just don't fit in the C7, I am not a huge man, little over 6'3" and a slim 275. However, I can't get the seat back far enough or low enough for me. My head is literally jammed into the top in the coupe or convertible! I can't tlit the seat enough to help. What is Chevrolet thinking? The new sports seats with more lateral support are not comfortable either. So I stay with my C6 until I find something better. When I was younger I lover my E-Type jaguar even though I had to tilt my head to the side with the top up. I am to old for that crap now.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I had reservations at first when the C7 came out. My interest was in the Z06 a year after the C7's debut. What held me back was the cheap looking plastic fender spats and the black valence panel in the bumper. I went back and forth on my decision for two more years before I finally pulled the trigger on a 2017 Z06. I did not give up my C6 convertible, though. Bought it new in 2006 and still enjoy it every time I take it out for a drive. The C7 Z06 is a beast and to me, a nice upgrade.
Well hell, I'm jealous Nice Zcar
NSF
Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Midiwiz
gee thanks dad..... had I wanted to know what I already knew I would have asked that question.....

BUT I DIDN'T
You didn't? The title of your post was...why not a C7
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just can't get into the looks of the c7. I mod my cars and the LT1 has shown to be less reliable than the LS3.

I have been trying to force myself to like the zo6, but I can get over the style. Call me crazy, but if a new Gt500 comes out, I'm going to that before the Z06.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Interior is designed for petite men to fit.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
Interior is designed for petite men to fit.
With man-buns and hootchy pants?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I decided to keep my 2011 GS vert over any C7 for the following reasons.
As other have said interior is much more cramped and uncomfortable for most taller or stocky guys compared to the C6. Cant buy a car that you don't fit in. The unproven drivetrain as of 2014 , cylinder deactivation, direct injection, electronic differential. all of the firmware updates just to get a radio to work correctly. Now in 2017 the C7 still has many issues that should have been fixed. The LS3 is a great engine with a proven track record, it can be easily modded and can support over 500hp reliably and relatively cheaply. I have owned many luxury cars Mercedes, Audi etc. Cars built with all the electronics integrated into every system are all wonderful when working ,but are the biggest nightmare when they fail and if aren't under warranty $$$$$. Your digital display fails, the car can't be driven.Last but not least they produced more C7's in the first 2 years of production than ALL of the wide body C6 made from 2009 to 2013.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

There's just no way in hell I'm opening up the garage door and looking at this ***-end every day.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm sure some of you have had this in your head debate...... What held you back from the C7?
They don't make them in my size.

Also, I think I'm allergic to "new car smell."
Old 07-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
I have overcome my dislike of the rear styling of the C7 and would consider buying one except for the fact that I just don't fit in the C7, I am not a huge man, little over 6'3" and a slim 275. However, I can't get the seat back far enough or low enough for me. My head is literally jammed into the top in the coupe or convertible! I can't tlit the seat enough to help. What is Chevrolet thinking? The new sports seats with more lateral support are not comfortable either. So I stay with my C6 until I find something better. When I was younger I lover my E-Type jaguar even though I had to tilt my head to the side with the top up. I am to old for that crap now.
I sat in a C7 a few weeks ago when I stopped at the dealer to make an appt. to have the clutch master cylinder replaced. My head hit the top and the seats felt like trying to put on a pair of skinny jeans.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
Here's my list: 1) The ugliest rear end in Corvette history. Dont tell me the round lights are dated bs since Ferrrai does it and it looks great. 2) Cramped interior. Not a fan of the C4 swooped dash or the lack of room. 3) Cylinder deactivation. I do not want this garbage along with direct injection. 4) 8spd auto has been a disaster for GM in the Vette and all other product lines. 5) The car is too busy with so many angles and lines, nothing flows smoothly. 6) Quality issues still with 17 & 18s. This far in the model year there shouldnt be paint or mechanical issues(topics in C7 gen).

To all of you who don't care about any of these issues good luck with your purchase. I for one am happy with my trouble free 13GS and have bought my last new Vette.
I couldn't have said it better!! MHO is the butt end is is is well,, ugly. And everything he said. Love my 13 vert 427
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by slowstang305
The only thing that was holding me back was interior room. I just could not get 100% comfortable. I felt like I was sitting too high even though I had the seat positioned as low/back as it would go. I had a little bit of claustrophobia.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:01 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove a new Z06 vert and a new stingray vert last summer. I had the itch so I was looking around. First, both cars drivers doors had to be slammer with all my strength to get them to latch. Both were A8 trannies and both shifted very strange - surging, hitting the rev limiter... I made the mistake of changing the mode switch while moving and the whole dash changes. Talk about confusing. And the body sucks IMHO. Somebody in this thread said they look like transformer cars and that's a fact. Nothing elegant, graceful or smooth about them. All ugly angles and sharp edges.

I had an '05 coupe at the time. I was looking at a trade difference of $73K on the Z and $43K on the stingray. Thats waaaaaaay too much money for a marginal looking body and a convertible top. And as long as the nannies are all on, my seat of the pants dyno could not tell the difference in the two C7's and my C6. They all pulled the same.

But I did like the convertible, so this year I got an '11 GS vert A6, and that will probably be my last vette. It's perfect and it's gorgeous, why would I get rid of it? The C7's just don't do it for me. With the C6, and especially the GS, it was love at first sight. Not so the C7.

-Mark

Last edited by MarkB3; 07-24-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:55 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

gee thanks dad..... had I wanted to know what I already knew I would have asked that question.....

BUT I DIDN'T

Get notified of new replies

To why not C7?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM
bullship
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't resist buying a C7, but also couldn't part with my 07 C6, so I enjoy owning both along with an 82 CE and an 86 C4.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 PM
dhpeck
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

sage advice. I still strive to be content. I wish I learned this 20 years ago! Think of the blessing it is for any of us be able to drive a Corvette for "fun" regardless of the generation, HP and mods.

Originally Posted by Red08
Honestly...I have no need or desire for a different car at this time. I am not one of those people that feel they have to run out and get the latest and greatest every time something new comes along. Learn to be content and have joy with what you have, otherwise you will be chasing happiness in "things" all your life and you will never find it except maybe temporarily, then its off to the next new thing. Now, if you are having frequent problems with you current car, and the costs of fixing and repairing are starting to add up...that's a different story.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Don't like the new tires. Every bit of sand and gravel sticks to them.

Don't like the idea of having to put "running boards" on to protect

the body. Poor design. Side skirts should be a "free" option.

Only body style I like is the GS, but don't want or need the dry-sump

lubrication system.

Quick Reply: why not C7?