C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotta-Qik-C6
Yup. It'll blow the horn 3 times! But still no AUDIBLE warning if you drive off without the Fob.
I guess GM figured it was unnecessary to include that since if you are able to start the car the fob has to be in the car and how can you drive off without it, which I agree with. Besides, once you start the car I don't think the fob sensors are still active.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I guess GM figured it was unnecessary to include that since if you are able to start the car the fob has to be in the car and how can you drive off without it, which I agree with. Besides, once you start the car I don't think the fob sensors are still active.
I'm pretty sure they are active because it gives you a warning on the dash if the Fon is not in the car!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm pretty sure they are active because it gives you a warning on the dash if the Fon is not in the car!
Only when you turn the ignition off. If you are driving down the road and throw the fob out the window, the car won't know it at that moment.

The car doesn't continually quest for the fob.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Only when you turn the ignition off. If you are driving down the road and throw the fob out the window, the car won't know it at that moment.

The car doesn't continually quest for the fob.
gotcha!!!!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 PM
89talon
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I left my fob in my gym bag when I closed the trunk on afternoon. I used the button by the license plate to open trunk. Then there are the pulls for the doors ,fuel door and trunk in the trunk. lol. I wish the car didn't have the FOB. I talked to my neighbour a psychologist and he says its perfectly normal to start to forget things in your 50s'. Damn. When did I turn 50.........?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 89talon
I left my fob in my gym bag when I closed the trunk on afternoon. I used the button by the license plate to open trunk. Then there are the pulls for the doors ,fuel door and trunk in the trunk. lol. I wish the car didn't have the FOB. I talked to my neighbour a psychologist and he says its perfectly normal to start to forget things in your 50s'. Damn. When did I turn 50.........?
The FOB is just an electronic key. Had you left your normal key in your gym bag, you would be calling a locksmith to get the car door opened. So physical key, or electronic key, you need to keep it in your pocket, and not in your gym bag.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When you turn off the car with no fob nearby you get this DIC message/option.

NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?
:

When this message
displays, it means that the keyless access transmitter is
not detected inside the vehicle while you are trying to
turn the ignition off. Your vehicle may be near a
strong radio antenna signal causing the keyless access
system to be jammed. The vehicle will remain in
ACCESSORY until OFF or START has been pressed or
five minutes has expired. If you turn the ignition off
and you cannot find the keyless access transmitter, you
will not be able to restart the vehicle. The keyless
access transmitter needs to be inside of the vehicle in
order for the vehicle to start.

From the Owners Manual.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 07-25-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM
89talon
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
The FOB is just an electronic key. Had you left your normal key in your gym bag, you would be calling a locksmith to get the car door opened. So physical key, or electronic key, you need to keep it in your pocket, and not in your gym bag.
The physical key is/was attached to the FOB. I didn't secure the car with the FOB so the button that opens the trunk worked fine. I will put a copy of the key in a holder where I can retrieve it. Good point River!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The FOB is a receiver all the time to hear a challenge from the car but it NEVER transmits anything unless it is challenged by the car or you push a button on the FOB. That is why you get many years out of a FOB battery rather than just a few weeks. The car also has a continuous receiver listening for a FOB that transmits because a button is pushed but the car NEVER transmits a challenge until you either push a button on the car or a timer times out after you close a door. If the car continuously issued challenges while running to make sure a FOB was still in the car and notified you every time it didn't hear a FOB respond, you would be driven crazy by the continuous beeping driving down the road whenever there was a little interference or the FOB moved just out of range of the glove compartment transmit antenna or the FOB battery got a little weak from all the transmitting it was doing and missed a challenge or...
The following 2 users liked this post by FortMorganAl:
89talon (07-26-2017), Gotta-Qik-C7 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 89talon
The physical key is/was attached to the FOB. I didn't secure the car with the FOB so the button that opens the trunk worked fine. I will put a copy of the key in a holder where I can retrieve it. Good point River!
HUH? The hatch button couldn't care less whether or not the car is locked or unlocked. The challenge/response when you press the hatch button is a totally independent sequence from the rest of the car status. The reason the hatch opened was because the FOB was still in range and heard the transmit antenna in the rear bumper. Toss the bag a little farther in and both car doors could have been unlocked and the hatch will not open pressing the button in the back. Try it.
The following users liked this post:
89talon (07-26-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=slowstang305;1595208958]I keep my fob on a keychain with my house keys. I don't leave home without them so I know the fob is always on me. I feel like keeping a fob separated from your other keys is an easy way to get it lost
Me too, I thought,
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds familar

Originally Posted by Icecap
About 5 miles home after getting a tire repair. I had my TPMS signal low air in my RR tire so went to get get it fixed since I found a screw embedded in the tread.

I drove the car to my tire shop and handed the fob to the tire man. When the car was finished he drove it out of the shop, hopped out, I jumped in a drove it home getting the "No Fob Detected" message which seemed odd since it had never happened before and I still wasn't completely familiar with the car.

When I got home I had a message on my answering machine from the tire store suggesting that I come and pick up my fob which I had to do using my daily driver since the Corvette wouldn't start.
only difference in my case was no errors message
Old 07-28-2017, 01:14 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

0 miles. Always keep the fob in front pants pocket, only time I take it out is to change pants.

Quick Reply: How far have you driven your Corvette without your key fob?