C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's be honest about the C6 seats

Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Nice95gle
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot helpful information guys. Thank you for all the input so far.
The idea of a rebuild is peaking my interest. I think i will look further into that option.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by windyC6
-I've taken trips in mine also. And while I won't say that the seats are terribly uncomfortable, i'm not about to say that they were comfortable by any stretch. They are average at best. The seats break down way to fast, but like you, trying to find a reasonable alternative can be difficult.....good luck and let us know what you come up with.

I like my seat almost all the way back and as low as it will go. If I put it down to far you end up sitting on the seat motor, I would guess, and it is hard so have to raise it up a bit. It also feels like it has less support and sags where the seat meets the back. Many other vehicles I have and have had have much more comfortable seat cushions. Why should you have to rebuild the seats? Never have on anything else I have ever had with a lot more miles on them. I just throw the pillow in there for the long drives.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-24-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 13 GS and they're ok.. getting new skins since mine just won't clean well (titainium..) My 99 with dual lumbar were the best IMHO...
Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

IMO the seats are ok, not great. I wish they had power recline though.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

having owned several corvettes, I have to say the C6 seats are the best of the stock seats but I still find them quite lacking, I have been looking at rebuild kits and new leather but I think I will go the aftermarket route if I can find a seat I really like.

I have recaros in my C5 but they were a bit pricey, great seat though, very comfortable and hold you in place, just not sure I want to spend that kind of money on seats for the C6
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The seats in my C5 were more comfortable than the seats in my 2012GS for sure.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

All C6 seats are the same. The slight change in '12 was in the padding, not the seat itself. Gov't requirements to make actual seat changes are extremely expensive, since lots of crash testing is required. Changing materials or padding is much cheaper.
Seats are made to fit the average driver who is 5'10" and 175#. If your body is not near that ideal size, you may not be comfortable. Your choices are to have the stock seats modified or purchase other seats. Complaining what you have is not a solution.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
All C6 seats are the same. The slight change in '12 was in the padding, not the seat itself. Gov't requirements to make actual seat changes are extremely expensive, since lots of crash testing is required. Changing materials or padding is much cheaper. Seats are made to fit the average driver who is 5'10" and 175#. .
^^^^^
Packed with information I could only guess at.

On the other hand?
If your body is not near that ideal size, you may not be comfortable, Your choices are to have the stock seats modified or purchase other seats and Complaining what you have is not a solution, Sounds more like a conversation one might have with his wife or girlfriend. Sometimes a little empathy doesn't hurt.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-25-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I looked at aftermarket seats and tried to fit a few in the car. I'm 6' and have the stock seats all the way back. The aftermarket seats wouldn't go as far back as the stock seats as the stock seats are contoured to fit around the transmission tunnel and no aftermarket seat is.
My problem was the bottom seemed to sag. I weigh around 200 lbs and I seemed to just sink lower and lower and get more uncomfortable. I took seats apart and had a fabricator make an aluminum base that just covered the bottom springs so now my seat has a solid bottom like a C7 seat. It is nice and firm and doesn't sag and is as comfortable as any seat. It feels just like a C7 seat.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Seat comfort is always an individual thing. My 05' seats are very comfortable to me at 6'2", 230 and my wife at 5'4" ???, even with Z51 and bilstein shocks, although I live in rural Florida and the roads are without potholes and few bumps. I have had Recaro seats in the past and they were great on spirited driving, but not comfortable in everyday driving. Make sure you test any seat before you buy, because it doesn't matter that someone else likes them.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont know about fit or electronics but the most comfortable and supportive vette seats Ive had were the 89 std (non sport) and the 96 std seats. They still have the factory look and can be had for peanuts.
Having an upholstery guy do yours up so they fit you is probably the best option. They can do amazing things with changing foam density, shape noone will know except you. 5k for a set of seats is insane

Last edited by cv67; 07-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I redid my driver's seat bottom with the foam-block/nylon/jute-pad kit. The outer (bottom) bolster is still kind of disappointingly flat, although it does make getting in and out easier for me. But even with the jute pad it still feels like my tailbone is on the springs. In retrospect I should probably have replaced the entire bottom cushion foam, and maybe will end up doing that. I just feel lazy to take the seat out and apart all over again having just done it. If I ever took her on a long drive I would probably swipe one of the cusions off our kitchen chairs. It's kind of disconcerting after having owned multiple German cars over the years and I'm used to seats that are firm but extremely comfortable.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:07 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
IMO they should have been cloth with no power anything.

It's a sports car, not a Cadillac.

I've never understood the logic of using fiberglass springs, lightweight materials throughout the frame and chassis of the car, yet weighing it down again with a leather interior and heavy motors to move the seat and steering wheel.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
IMO they should have been cloth with no power anything.

It's a sports car, not a Cadillac.

I've never understood the logic of using fiberglass springs, lightweight materials throughout the frame and chassis of the car, yet weighing it down again with a leather interior and heavy motors to move the seat and steering wheel.
Well, you might as well throw the radio out then too. And the AC compressor, and probably a few more things I can't think of right now. But if they were going to make power seats, I don't know why they stopped at the reclining option.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, you might as well throw the radio out then too. And the AC compressor, and probably a few more things I can't think of right now.
Actually. I have a convertible. I never use either of those. So yea. I'd be OK with that.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:33 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Yes, slide your seat back, tighten up the seatbelt, then slide it forward to your driving position.
Not quit correct,

When sitting in the car, pull the shoulder belt all the way out and then feed it back in. You will hear it ratchet as it runs back in. The belt will lock any where it stops.

So, move the seat back a bit, pull the belt all the way out, let it ratchet back in, pull it as tight as you want, then move the seat forward against the belt to where you want it.

I've done this for many hpde days and it works well to locking you into your seat.

I've also found the seats on my 2012 to be very comfortable, I don't slide around on the Alcontra inserts, and the belt will lock me in solidly in 1.15g turns.
The following users liked this post:
89talon (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are talking about the seat backs, mine have power recline. Power lumbar support and power bolsters. And of course up/down, front/back. It believe that it was part of 3LT pkg with the heated seats and memory return.

Although I wish I could figure out how to make the memory adjustment work without having to take it out of gear and apply the e-brake. I use position 2 for tilting my mirrors down and it is kind of a PITA.

Thank you to those that have posted links to the seat rebuild/upgrade kits. I was trying to figure out how to make my own. This simplifies that greatly.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's be honest about the C6 seats

Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There is no power recline for the seat back, only the seat bottom can be lowered/ raised front or rear. The seat back recline is by the lever on the outbound side of the seat.

OP there is another option for the seat bottom: there is a heavy duty foam replacement. I replaced my stock foam 3 years ago and used the rebuild kit mentioned above. Seat is still firm with no sagging yet comfy.

Really all you need is a piece of jute cloth cut to the seat bottom size and the heavy duty foam. Jute keeps the wire from cutting the foam.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an 07', bought new and i took two trips from New York to North Carolina and had no problems with the seats. I thought they were comfortable and I (we) had no aches or pains after our trips.
However, if I road raced my Vette, I'd want a more secure seat with more lateral support. The stock seats do lack some support in that area. Of course, I suppose a 5 point harness would help too. But, I'm happy with the seats even though they're 10 years old now.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
89talon
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that the seats and interior are awful considering they are in a "Flagship Vehicle". I have an 05 and have put 7k on my car in 7 months I have owned it. It's a blast a doing what it was designed to do but I wouldn't call it comfortable. I am 6'2" 215 lbs. for reference. Seats aren't that expensive. I plan on changing the drivers seat and steering wheel and it will be perfect for "me". Thank you gentlemen for the seatbelt guidance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's be honest about the C6 seats