C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Synacks
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives?

Had some issues recently with the fob not being detected so I bought some replacement batteries and put a new one in hoping it would go back to normal.

The key itself is acting erratically. Sometimes the buttons will work, sometimes they won't.

When turning the car off, it will say "No fob detected, keep running or turn off?" But it allows me to easily start.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Aliquantus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Having similar problems, subscribed.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Have you tried the spare fob to rule out a fob problem or car problem?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Synacks
Racer

Originally Posted by EVRose
Have you tried the spare fob to rule out a fob problem or car problem?
I will later today for sure.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Aliquantus
Having similar problems, subscribed.

Similar here also. New batteries in all the fobs (2 primary and a spare) which were recently recoded using the long proceedure. They all worked fine but my wife likes to store her purse in the compartment under the waterfall when she drives and she gets the message no fob detected. Mine is always in my pocket so no issues and even my wifes fob works fine if on her person or on the console but as soon as it's behind the seat "no fob detected".
Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Icecap

Similar here also. New batteries in all the fobs (2 primary and a spare) which were recently recoded using the long proceedure. They all worked fine but my wife likes to store her purse in the compartment under the waterfall when she drives and she gets the message no fob detected. Mine is always in my pocket so no issues and even my wifes fob works fine if on her person or on the console but as soon as it's behind the seat "no fob detected".
That's normal. The fob is out of receiver range behind the seat.
The following users liked this post:
Icecap (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Synacks
Had some issues recently with the fob not being detected so I bought some replacement batteries and put a new one in hoping it would go back to normal.

The key itself is acting erratically. Sometimes the buttons will work, sometimes they won't.

When turning the car off, it will say "No fob detected, keep running or turn off?" But it allows me to easily start.
There is a thread in the sticky ones under the mega DIY one, here it is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html

There have been many threads on this and some causes are I-phone interference, some brand of batteries have a cross hatched back which does not make good contact and other interference from outside sources like power lines. Also make sure your fob case is fully snapped shut.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR
There is a thread in the sticky ones under the mega DIY one, here it is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html

There have been many threads on this and some causes are I-phone interference, some brand of batteries have a cross hatched back which does not make good contact and other interference from outside sources like power lines. Also make sure your fob case is fully snapped shut.
the antennas for the fob are located in the mirror/door area and the back in the coupe. And,
not to be flippant, make sure cover on battery was removed before you installed it (don't ask me how I know this ).
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by dpigguy
the antennas for the fob are located in the mirror/door area and the back in the coupe. And,
not to be flippant, make sure cover on battery was removed before you installed it (don't ask me how I know this ).
The fob receivers for the doors are not in the mirror/door area. They are in the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR
All good suggestions to which I'll add one.
Use a VOM to test a 'new' cell before loading it.
Several instances a 'new FOB battery was weak out of the package due to sitting for long periods before being sold has been reported over the years.

After replacing a FOB cell unknowingly w/ 'bad/weak/dead one is the very last thing one thinks of -- after first going through hell & high water trying to figure out what the problem is because the battery's 'ne'. Right?

Check integrity of new cell, if only to rule a bad one out.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Landru
All good suggestions to which I'll add one.
Use a VOM to test a 'new' cell before loading it.
Several instances a 'new FOB battery was weak out of the package due to sitting for long periods before being sold has been reported over the years.

After replacing a FOB cell unknowingly w/ 'bad/weak/dead one is the very last thing one thinks of -- after first going through hell & high water trying to figure out what the problem is because the battery's 'ne'. Right?

Check integrity of new cell, if only to rule a bad one out.
And this goes for the car battery as well. I always put a charger on it for a few hours before installing it.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

And this goes for the car battery as well. I always put a charger on it for a few hours before installing it.
+1, can't be emphasized enough.

Seems first time Corvette owners compare battery life/performance w/ whatever they drove, before.
Big mistake.
C6 gobbles-up batteries like I do M&Ms, neither lasts very long.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:22 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Something not yet mentioned is the slot in the glove box. You can slide your fob in there and that should rule out the fob itself, even if the battery in the fob is completely dead. Once in the slot, you should be able to start the car and when you shut it off, you shouldn't get the "fob not detected" message. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The fob battery doesn't even need to be installed to test the glove box slot.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

The fob receivers for the doors are not in the mirror/door area. They are in the B pillar at the base of the frame about window height.
Thanks. Knew it was in that area. Appreciate the details.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There is only one receiver and it's part of the RCDLR in the dash above the radio.

The antennas in the B-pillars and trunk 'talk' to a nearby fob.

The antenna in the glove box slot is the one that 'talks' to the fob when starting/stopping.

This has been a source of confusion when trying to troubleshoot fob/door/start/stop issues.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 08-05-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: better description
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Synacks
Racer

I just tried both fobs and they act identical. It's basically a 20% chance that clicking a button will do anything. Fob itself seems ruled out because they both work the same.

Putting the fob on top of the dash has much better results of button clicking and start/stopping the car.

The fob batteries are new but they do have a weird non smooth pattern on the back.

The car battery is from November 2015 and I had a checkup recently which passed the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Synacks
Racer

I think this
Amazon Amazon
might be my issue. Going to the store to buy the real deal instead of whatever possible scam Energizer/Amazon is pulling. Look at all of the recent negative reviews.

Last edited by Synacks; 07-26-2017 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (07-27-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Synacks
Racer

Update: fob works perfectly outside the car now. Let's me open the driver door every time. I still get an issue sometimes with it not allowing me to turn on the car or it shuts off and let's me know that the fob isn't detected.

So I started fooling around with the fob and setting it down in different areas in the car. It doesn't like sitting right on top of the fob receiver area, basically right above the fob insert on the dash. It does like the fob sitting on top of the gauge cluster on the dash. This sounds to me like the receiver or antenna on the inside of the car isn't doing a great job of picking up the fob. The antennas for the doors seem to work fine though.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Synacks
Racer

VIDEO

Quick Reply: Fob Not Detected - New battery, what gives?