C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much water does it take to hydrolock??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:51 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How much water does it take to hydrolock??

I'm fairly new to the C6 community so I am curious to how much ingested water does it take to hydro-lock an LS3??

The reason I am asking this is, I just went through a 15hr rain storm in where my car sat outside... The seals must have failed or leaked rain through them...

I went to start the car to just move from one parking space to the next...maybe 3 mins running time and I noticed that the engine was running really ruff... not overly bad but a defined miss feeling ... After shutting down the motor I went to inspect the CAI Air Raid Filter and noticed that the bottom of the filter was wet... I just pulled the filter and there was no noticeable water on the inside of the filter or puddles, it was wet though...

I'm guessing just the filter being wet would cause lack of airflow?

For public knowledge and from past unfortunate situations can anyone share their hydro-locked stories and if so how soaked their filters were??

Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Your car sitting during a rain storm is not going to hydro lock an engine.
It takes more than drops. Much depends upon engine rpm vs the amount of water coming in.
I would get the car out and up to temperature, if it is still running rough check all of your plug wires. Plug wires coming loose is not uncommon
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

It takes quite a bit of water to hydrolock an engine. What happens is the bottom feeder intakes must be almost completely submerged while the engine is running to suck up enough water to lock. As we know, you cannot compress a liquid so as the piston comes up on the compression stroke the water will not allow the piston to complete its travel to top dead center. Something has to give, it usually ends with a bent rod or worse depending on the RPM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
I'm fairly new to the C6 community so I am curious to how much ingested water does it take to hydro-lock an LS3??

The reason I am asking this is, I just went through a 15hr rain storm in where my car sat outside... The seals must have failed or leaked rain through them...

I went to start the car to just move from one parking space to the next...maybe 3 mins running time and I noticed that the engine was running really ruff... not overly bad but a defined miss feeling ... After shutting down the motor I went to inspect the CAI Air Raid Filter and noticed that the bottom of the filter was wet... I just pulled the filter and there was no noticeable water on the inside of the filter or puddles, it was wet though...

I'm guessing just the filter being wet would cause lack of airflow?

For public knowledge and from past unfortunate situations can anyone share their hydro-locked stories and if so how soaked their filters were??

When you pulled the air filter you should of tried starting the car and see if idled smoothed out any. If it ran smooth you know what caused it.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Unless the engine was submerged, your not having a problem due to hydrolock. Most of the time hydrolocking is due to an internal leak such as a head gasket failing..Also, if the engine hydrolocked it would happen on the first cycle of the crankshaft and the motor would come to a stop in that cycle , after that the water would be expelled from the engine.. I agree with the others that your probably having a running problem due to excessive moisture.. Like mentioned , letting the car get to temperture and driving it around awhile should take care of the problem.. If that doesn't work after a few heat/cool cycles then it's time to hook it up to a Tech II to find out where the problem is..WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-25-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

If the CAI has an oil soaked filter you may have washed some oil into the TB and fouled the sensor.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Trust me, there will be no doubt in your mind if/when you have hydro-locked a motor as it is not a subtle experience.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:13 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 youll definitely know thats not your issue
ck to see if your battery is weak most problems are usually something very simple
Old 07-25-2017, 11:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Unless the engine was submerged, your not having a problem due to hydrolock. Most of the time hydrolocking is due to an internal leak such as a head gasket failing..Also, if the engine hydrolocked it would happen on the first cycle of the crankshaft and the motor would come to a stop in that cycle , after that the water would be expelled from the engine.. I agree with the others that your probably having a running problem due to excessive moisture.. Like mentioned , letting the car get to temperture and driving it around awhile should take care of the problem.. If that doesn't work after a few heat/cool cycles then it's time to hook it up to a Tech II to find out where the problem is..WW
You've never heard of hydrolock due to driving through high water? It definitely happens.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Aliquantus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
You've never heard of hydrolock due to driving through high water? It definitely happens.
I've done that and remarkably, it didn't hurt the engine. Realizing right away what happened, I pulled out all the spark plugs and turned the motor over on the starter, the water streams almost knocked the hood off (this was on built 4-cylinder). Poured some oil in the cylinders and she ran flawlessly for another ten years. I guarantee stock rods on most any engine would not stand for that abuse.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Read my post again.. The first line says "unless the motor is submerged".. I think driving through high water would qualify as submerging the engine , don't you?...WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
Read my post again.. The first line says "unless the motor is submerged".. I think driving through high water would qualify as submerging the engine , don't you?...WW
I read your post just fine the first time. I'm not talking about sinking the car in 4 ft of water. All it takes is for the air intake, which is only several inches off the ground, to be submerged and the engine is toast. Especially with aftermarket CAI.

Last edited by EVRose; 07-25-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

It was probably in warm-up-mode and had a little moisture on the MAF or something. Parking in the rain is not going to hurt the car. As others have said, hydrolock is just that, locked, 0 RPM. NOT running rough.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

I read your post just fine the first time. I'm not talking about sinking the car in 4 ft of water. All it takes is for the air intake, which is only several inches off the ground, to be submerged and the engine is toast. Especially with aftermarket CAI.
What kind of car do you have.. My air intake is 16-18 inches off the ground...Stop trying to start arguments and nit picking over stupid stuff..I'm here to enjoy myself, not argue... ..WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-25-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
What kind of car do you have.. My air intake is 16-18 inches off the ground...Stop trying to start arguments and nit picking over stupid stuff..I'm here to enjoy myself, not argue... ..WW
Fine! No more arguments. I'll just leave this here and be quiet. From my 05 owners manual...

Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Only problems I recall reading about have had a vararam intake. They are open to the elements much lower than most other intakes.

Not saying it has never happened with a stock filter but I don't recall reading about one.

But I never drive thru high water if I can avoid it.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

The OP states that his car sat in a 15 hr rain storm ....i take that as the car was parked ...

As others have stated , if the motor was hydrolocked you would know it as it would not start .....a little bit of water is not going to hurt anything ....alot of water when the car is running is real bad ...

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-25-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much water does it take to hydrolock??

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Straight answer. Slightly over 2 oz in any cylinder on the compression stroke will lock the engine.

It's really tough to get enough water splashed high enough to cover the stock air filter and suck in any water. Possible? Yes, but very unlikely.

Vararam is the most susceptible. A paper filter reduces the chance. Assuming you don't go deep, or at a speed to push water up, you'll survive. The biggest concern is a bow wave from an oncoming vehicle. If you see that coming, simply shut off the engine before it hits and wait to restart until the water is calm again.
I made a simple panel to block waves from 1/8" foam board and attach it with bungies, if I get in a flood situation. I've only needed it once, but it takes no room to store it. I'd much rather have it than not.

The following users liked this post:
W52 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I think I'd just rock the stock intake before I bungied styrofoam to my grill.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

doesn't take much water to take out a hot wire type MAF. Check for codes

Quick Reply: How much water does it take to hydrolock??