C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering house mis routed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 PM
berlyn0963
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering hose mis routed

A new owner of a an 11 GS. I had it 120 pt inspected at the dealer today and so the dealer wants like 900 to re route a pwr steering hose. they say its rubbing against the crank pulley in front of it. ( they say its 6 hr job) We did not have it done and left.

Is this really a terrible fix??

Last edited by berlyn0963; 07-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the dealer is trying to hose you, if we may enjoy a pun. I would take it to another mechanic that you trust and see if a tie-wrap might just get the job done. Another option is to simply loosen where the hose connects to the steering rack, twist it and then re-tighten so the hose naturally away from the rotating balancer.

Please keep us posted and good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by berlyn0963
A new owner of a an 11 GS. I had it 120 pt inspected at the dealer today and so the dealer wants like 900 to re route a pwr steering hose. they say its rubbing against the crank pulley in front of it. ( they say its 6 hr job) We did not have it done and left.

Is this really a terrible fix??

$900 to reroute a hose I would try a reputable repair shop
NSF
Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Im in the wrong line of work. Did the cost include a new hose too or just the labor? Like the first post said, take it to a Corvette shop that you trust and see if this can be done without having to remove\replace all the accessories that the dealer wants to. You can also try to do it yourself, but after going through this when replacing the crank pulley, I would pay someone if it was just to re-route.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering house mis routed

Quick Reply: power steering house mis routed