C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 PM
SeeMeGo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?

I am in Texas and found a C6 that was originally from California. It will have their emissions on it. I'm concerned about possible expenses later down the road due to the extra emissions on the car. Anyone have any feedback on whether I should be concerned about this?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

You shouldn't have any issues; most cars built (for US sales) in the last decade or so are built to meet California emissions off the factor line.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

If it has CA emissions acceptable on it, it will be good for anywhere...even on the moon....
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

There should be no issues whatsoever with CA emissions. We live in CA and have experienced no driveability problems with our '07.

Steve
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

It sounds like the car is already out of CA? You don't have to go there to pick it up? If you do, you should hurry if you really want the car.

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

You should have no problems. Are you aware of the exhaust recall on CA emission vehicles? Has this car had the recall done?
The following users liked this post:
bobeyoung (02-23-2018)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 PM
groran
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a real bad time getting a texas vette to conform here. I know it's a Cali car, but did they modify it, like with headers or removal of cats? Just be cautious.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeMeGo
I am in Texas and found a C6 that was originally from California. It will have their emissions on it. I'm concerned about possible expenses later down the road due to the extra emissions on the car. Anyone have any feedback on whether I should be concerned about this?

Mechanically, there will be no problems, but if the car has not had the recall done, and your location requires the recall, you will have to see that it is done.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 08-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
It sounds like the car is already out of CA? You don't have to go there to pick it up? If you do, you should hurry if you really want the car.

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
Hilarious. I know you say this in jest, though just 30 minutes ago I watched Tucker interview one of the guys who is backing that movement...it is a movement all right, but more of one involving bodily fluids.

Another case of people who are so stupid they should be neutered.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Hilarious. I know you say this in jest, though just 30 minutes ago I watched Tucker interview one of the guys who is backing that movement...it is a movement all right, but more of one involving bodily fluids.

Yeah, that's what I saw too. He sounded serious. Think about it, your passport with a California stamp in it....
Old 08-02-2017, 03:01 AM
starfuel1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Joke

I saw the same thing on Tucker Carlson. Are these people for real? That means we have to add about 1500 more miles to the border wall? I live here and it's just these wacked out weirdo's we have out here.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

That guy took stupid to an all-new level. You could tell this cessation thing has been well-thought out.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM
starfuel1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a smog shop in Sacramento, Ca. There are two emission standards. California and federal. When inputting the information into the OIS (2000 and newer) a screen appears which asks, what is the vehicles certification? You enter Ca. or Fed. and everything else is identical as far as the test and certifying the vehicle. 2000 and newer vehicles are not required to submit to a tailpipe test. The smog machine plugs into your OBD II port and a visual inspection is done. That's it.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by starfuel1
I own a smog shop in Sacramento, Ca. There are two emission standards. California and federal. When inputting the information into the OIS (2000 and newer) a screen appears which asks, what is the vehicles certification? You enter Ca. or Fed. and everything else is identical as far as the test and certifying the vehicle. 2000 and newer vehicles are not required to submit to a tailpipe test. The smog machine plugs into your OBD II port and a visual inspection is done. That's it.
Very thorough and correct answer. Lots of folks buying cars in/from CA get crazy concerned about emissions.

I imagine he has solved his problem long ago, but you had a good answer.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018.

If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
That's what I have heard to.

If "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia" does in fact split from the US ... My suggestion is that they either align themselves with either Somalia or maybe South Yemen

Good riddance to that super Left-Wing Dianne Feinstein / Jerry Brown Government !

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 02-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Talk is cheap, but it will never happen. How could a state that is virtually bankrupt, survives only by taxing wage earners ever more and more, and is absorbing 300,000 illegals, with no skills nor earning power, survive without the Feds?

Answer: It can't, and it won't try. It will NEVER get onto a ballot. The leaders, and I use the word in jest, would never allow it to go to a popular vote.

Can you imagine, just imagine, the flood of refugees that would be leaving that state before it completely sank into insolvency?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Talk is cheap, but it will never happen. How could a state that is virtually bankrupt, survives only by taxing wage earners ever more and more, and is absorbing 300,000 illegals, with no skills nor earning power, survive without the Feds?

Answer: It can't, and it won't try. It will NEVER get onto a ballot. The leaders, and I use the word in jest, would never allow it to go to a popular vote.

Can you imagine, just imagine, the flood of refugees that would be leaving that state before it completely sank into insolvency?
If that dumb *** Jerry Brown has any say in it this crazy idea could happen. He is such a jerk elected by bigger jerks. However I digress. The OP has nothing to worry about as far as emissions and his new Vette going to Texas.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 02-22-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,333 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
No vote. Trump gave California to Mexico in exchange for Mexico paying for the wall...

Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
If that dumb *** Jerry Brown has any say in it this crazy idea could happen. He is such a jerk elected by bigger jerks. However I digress. The OP has nothing to worry about as far as emissions and his new Vette going to Texas.
I lived in Southern Ca. when his father, Edmund "Pat" Brown was Governor, and when Moonbeam was first elected. They both are big gov, high taxes, the-state-will-take-care-of-you Governors. California has the most uninformed, pie-in-the-sky suckers for an electorate. They have destroyed what was once the most beautiful state in the nation, by a long margin. I don't know how sensible people like you remain in the state.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

My California motorcycle has extra emission junk on it that isn't needed in any other State. The 49-State model has a 5-1/2 gallon tank, while the Cali mode is just 5 gallons.

I'm cheated out of 1/2 gallon of fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?