Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 PM
  #1  
SeeMeGo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Waco Texas
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?

I am in Texas and found a C6 that was originally from California. It will have their emissions on it. I'm concerned about possible expenses later down the road due to the extra emissions on the car. Anyone have any feedback on whether I should be concerned about this?
SeeMeGo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
  #2  
Welker1
CF Senior Member
 
Welker1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Mesquite NV
Posts: 2,368
Thanked 368 Times in 337 Posts
Default

You shouldn't have any issues; most cars built (for US sales) in the last decade or so are built to meet California emissions off the factor line.
Welker1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM
  #3  
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member
 
BlindSpot's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Thanked 376 Times in 329 Posts
Default

If it has CA emissions acceptable on it, it will be good for anywhere...even on the moon....
BlindSpot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 PM
  #4  
bassman50
CF Senior Member
 
bassman50's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Twain Harte CA
Posts: 306
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default

There should be no issues whatsoever with CA emissions. We live in CA and have experienced no driveability problems with our '07.

Steve
bassman50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM
  #5  
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member
 
BlindSpot's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Thanked 376 Times in 329 Posts
Default

It sounds like the car is already out of CA? You don't have to go there to pick it up? If you do, you should hurry if you really want the car.

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
BlindSpot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM
  #6  
SouthBaySurfer
CF Senior Member
 
SouthBaySurfer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Great River NY
Posts: 1,148
Thanked 58 Times in 55 Posts
Default

You should have no problems. Are you aware of the exhaust recall on CA emission vehicles? Has this car had the recall done?
SouthBaySurfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthBaySurfer For This Useful Post:
bobeyoung (02-23-2018)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 PM
  #7  
groran
CF Senior Member
 
groran's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: California City California
Posts: 160
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I had a real bad time getting a texas vette to conform here. I know it's a Cali car, but did they modify it, like with headers or removal of cats? Just be cautious.
groran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 PM
  #8  
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member
 
buckmeister2's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 3,149
Thanked 376 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SeeMeGo View Post
I am in Texas and found a C6 that was originally from California. It will have their emissions on it. I'm concerned about possible expenses later down the road due to the extra emissions on the car. Anyone have any feedback on whether I should be concerned about this?


Mechanically, there will be no problems, but if the car has not had the recall done, and your location requires the recall, you will have to see that it is done.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 08-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
buckmeister2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM
  #9  
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member
 
buckmeister2's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 3,149
Thanked 376 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlindSpot View Post
It sounds like the car is already out of CA? You don't have to go there to pick it up? If you do, you should hurry if you really want the car.

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
Hilarious. I know you say this in jest, though just 30 minutes ago I watched Tucker interview one of the guys who is backing that movement...it is a movement all right, but more of one involving bodily fluids.

Another case of people who are so stupid they should be neutered.
buckmeister2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 PM
  #10  
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member
 
BlindSpot's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,652
Thanked 376 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
Hilarious. I know you say this in jest, though just 30 minutes ago I watched Tucker interview one of the guys who is backing that movement...it is a movement all right, but more of one involving bodily fluids.

Another case of people who are so stupid they should be neutered.
Yeah, that's what I saw too. He sounded serious. Think about it, your passport with a California stamp in it....
BlindSpot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:01 AM
  #11  
starfuel1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Fair Oaks California
Posts: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default A Joke

I saw the same thing on Tucker Carlson. Are these people for real? That means we have to add about 1500 more miles to the border wall? I live here and it's just these wacked out weirdo's we have out here.
starfuel1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 AM
  #12  
09Z06pj
CF Senior Member
 
09Z06pj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 7,226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 357 Times in 332 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
Hilarious. I know you say this in jest, though just 30 minutes ago I watched Tucker interview one of the guys who is backing that movement...it is a movement all right, but more of one involving bodily fluids.

Another case of people who are so stupid they should be neutered.
That guy took stupid to an all-new level. You could tell this cessation thing has been well-thought out.
09Z06pj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM
  #13  
starfuel1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Fair Oaks California
Posts: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I own a smog shop in Sacramento, Ca. There are two emission standards. California and federal. When inputting the information into the OIS (2000 and newer) a screen appears which asks, what is the vehicles certification? You enter Ca. or Fed. and everything else is identical as far as the test and certifying the vehicle. 2000 and newer vehicles are not required to submit to a tailpipe test. The smog machine plugs into your OBD II port and a visual inspection is done. That's it.
starfuel1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 PM
  #14  
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member
 
buckmeister2's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 3,149
Thanked 376 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starfuel1 View Post
I own a smog shop in Sacramento, Ca. There are two emission standards. California and federal. When inputting the information into the OIS (2000 and newer) a screen appears which asks, what is the vehicles certification? You enter Ca. or Fed. and everything else is identical as far as the test and certifying the vehicle. 2000 and newer vehicles are not required to submit to a tailpipe test. The smog machine plugs into your OBD II port and a visual inspection is done. That's it.
Very thorough and correct answer. Lots of folks buying cars in/from CA get crazy concerned about emissions.

I imagine he has solved his problem long ago, but you had a good answer.
buckmeister2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM
  #15  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,686
Thanked 440 Times in 342 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlindSpot View Post

Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018.

If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
That's what I have heard to.

If "The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia" does in fact split from the US ... My suggestion is that they either align themselves with either Somalia or maybe South Yemen

Good riddance to that super Left-Wing Dianne Feinstein / Jerry Brown Government !

.



Last edited by Turbo6TA; 02-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 PM
  #16  
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member
 
buckmeister2's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 3,149
Thanked 376 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Talk is cheap, but it will never happen. How could a state that is virtually bankrupt, survives only by taxing wage earners ever more and more, and is absorbing 300,000 illegals, with no skills nor earning power, survive without the Feds?

Answer: It can't, and it won't try. It will NEVER get onto a ballot. The leaders, and I use the word in jest, would never allow it to go to a popular vote.

Can you imagine, just imagine, the flood of refugees that would be leaving that state before it completely sank into insolvency?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.
buckmeister2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM
  #17  
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member
 
Vet Interested's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: (R. Bernardo) San Diego, California
Posts: 3,264
Thanked 339 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
Talk is cheap, but it will never happen. How could a state that is virtually bankrupt, survives only by taxing wage earners ever more and more, and is absorbing 300,000 illegals, with no skills nor earning power, survive without the Feds?

Answer: It can't, and it won't try. It will NEVER get onto a ballot. The leaders, and I use the word in jest, would never allow it to go to a popular vote.

Can you imagine, just imagine, the flood of refugees that would be leaving that state before it completely sank into insolvency?
If that dumb *** Jerry Brown has any say in it this crazy idea could happen. He is such a jerk elected by bigger jerks. However I digress. The OP has nothing to worry about as far as emissions and his new Vette going to Texas.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 02-22-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Vet Interested is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM
  #18  
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ruxvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: T-Town WA
Posts: 9,133
Thanked 665 Times in 563 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by BlindSpot View Post
...Reports are Californians will possibly get to vote on cessation from the Union in 2018. If that's the case, then you'll have to pay export/import taxes on the car along with every other tax.
No vote. Trump gave California to Mexico in exchange for Mexico paying for the wall...



ruxvette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM
  #19  
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member
 
buckmeister2's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 3,149
Thanked 376 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vet Interested View Post
If that dumb *** Jerry Brown has any say in it this crazy idea could happen. He is such a jerk elected by bigger jerks. However I digress. The OP has nothing to worry about as far as emissions and his new Vette going to Texas.
I lived in Southern Ca. when his father, Edmund "Pat" Brown was Governor, and when Moonbeam was first elected. They both are big gov, high taxes, the-state-will-take-care-of-you Governors. California has the most uninformed, pie-in-the-sky suckers for an electorate. They have destroyed what was once the most beautiful state in the nation, by a long margin. I don't know how sensible people like you remain in the state.
buckmeister2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM
  #20  
ByRiver
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: St Louis Area IL
Posts: 1,569
Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts
Default

My California motorcycle has extra emission junk on it that isn't needed in any other State. The 49-State model has a 5-1/2 gallon tank, while the Cali mode is just 5 gallons.

I'm cheated out of 1/2 gallon of fun.
ByRiver is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a California corvette - any issues on emissions?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: