C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top went one way car went another

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:22 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You can find a nice used one in "new" condition but it takes time. It took me a few months of looking before I got one in the right color but I had pretty much given up and was ready to buy a pristine crystal red one and have it repainted. Unfortunately for me, the torch red one I purchased got damaged in shipping and we ended up filing a FedEx claim and then getting the top fixed and repainted. Craigslist is probably someones best bet at finding one at a reasonable price from a fellow or former Corvette owner who was keeping it nicely stored.

The problem with buying a new solid color top is that they don't sell one fully assembled. You have to buy all the parts and have it assembled and painted. I called Cultrag and they told me the same thing. Best bet for the OP is to repair the damaged one.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 08-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Just curious as to why not use your insurance. Not just for this incident but I seem to see that as a recurring theme here.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
Just curious as to why not use your insurance. Not just for this incident but I seem to see that as a recurring theme here.
In my case I was shopping for a color top to go along with the Lexon top that came with my car. But in cases similar to the OP's I would say that most people avoid filing claims with their insurance company unless absolutely necessary to avoid raised rates and also depending on the size of their deductible.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:25 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Bummer! Sorry to hear that

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
In my case I was shopping for a color top to go along with the Lexon top that came with my car. But in cases similar to the OP's I would say that most people avoid filing claims with their insurance company unless absolutely necessary to avoid raised rates and also depending on the size of their deductible.
Deductible I can see. If you have a $1k deductible for comprehensive sure. But avoiding a single claim to keep your rates from going up? If you have insurance that raises your rates after 1 or 2 minor instances like this then you need better/different insurance. How much of a hassle will they be when you have a serious claim and how much will you pay then.

To me not filing a legitimate claim is like not driving your car to keep it like new for trade in value. Although I must thank the previous two owners of mine for doing so.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
Deductible I can see. If you have a $1k deductible for comprehensive sure. But avoiding a single claim to keep your rates from going up? If you have insurance that raises your rates after 1 or 2 minor instances like this then you need better/different insurance. How much of a hassle will they be when you have a serious claim and how much will you pay then.

To me not filing a legitimate claim is like not driving your car to keep it like new for trade in value. Although I must thank the previous two owners of mine for doing so.
Well when it comes to insurance companies, sometimes it doesn't matter if its a minor claim. To them, it could be that a claim is a claim. And you are assuming that people don't already have a few recent claims on record already. I know a few years ago my wife backed up into my truck in the driveway. When I called my insurance they told me I had to put in 2 separate claims, one for each car, even though it was one incident. Each car carried a $500 deductible. Rather than put in 2 claims and risk getting a 3rd or 4th if something more serious did happen down the road, I ended up repairing the cars out of pocket. So I see your point, but I also understand why people avoid putting in claims for small dollar amounts.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Four roofs went flying for me...

The last time it happened, I read on this Forum that is an insurance covered event...

Your insurance covers the flying roof...it's paid through your comprehensive. When I reported it, I said my glass roof detached and broke. It was covered under my Glass Protection. Not a problem...

It's a non-chargeable comprehensive claim.

Lucky for you!

Last edited by joliett; 08-15-2017 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jmeirhofer (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

^^^Dam, wish i would known that 10 years ago. Lol and how did you make it to 4?? Ever since i joined the club i've been paranoid about my tops. Whenever i sit in my car i can't help but look at my latches now
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
Four roofs went flying for me...

The last time it happened, I read on this Forum that is an insurance covered event...

Your insurance covers the flying roof...it's paid through your comprehensive. When I reported it, I said my glass roof detached and broke. It was covered under my Glass Protection. Not a problem...

It's a non-chargeable comprehensive claim.

Lucky for you!
So joliett, it's easier to replace them then wash and wax them?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

thats the exact reason why in 3 years i have only taken off the painted top and put on the clear top 1 time. The clear top hangs on the wall in its case and hasn't seen daylight since the first month i got the car. That and i don't care for the sun beating down on me after 30 years working outside on the highways.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:59 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
As the famous Top Gun quote states, "The list is long but distinguished."

My top did an amazing dismount, 2 1/2 flips with a twist.

You don't need to waste money on ridiculous gimmicks to remind you the top isn't latched. If you only want to place the roof on for a short time and don't want to hassle with reaching in to latch the passenger side and rear latch then just engage the driver's front latch only. The roof cannot come loose with one latch engaged and if you forget to latch the other two latches before driving off once you get to speed you will hear enough wind noise to catch your attention and remind you to lock the other two latches.
Can you name a plausible scenario where you would place the roof on for a short time, where it is a hassle to engage the latches?

I'm in the group where it will never happen to me, but perhaps there is some scenario I can't think of where I would put the top on, but don't feel like reaching in 12 inches through the window or open door to lock down the top.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

DANG! Just sold my V Yellow top last month!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Can you name a plausible scenario where you would place the roof on for a short time, where it is a hassle to engage the latches?

I'm in the group where it will never happen to me, but perhaps there is some scenario I can't think of where I would put the top on, but don't feel like reaching in 12 inches through the window or open door to lock down the top.
I believe it involved cleaning the car and unlatching the top because I wanted to ride with the top off. Running in the house for something. Then deciding not to take it off but forgetting I unlatched it. Doh!!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

My DIC tells me when my convertible top is not latched. Is there not something similar on the removable tops?

On a separate note, any here drive off with out latching their convertible top?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:26 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pjazz
I believe it involved cleaning the car and unlatching the top because I wanted to ride with the top off. Running in the house for something. Then deciding not to take it off but forgetting I unlatched it. Doh!!

Taking off the top is a 40 second process. Once you pop the third latch, you lift the top off the car. In the five seconds it would take to grab the top, you would need to run into the house?

The same with putting the top back on. You carefully put the top in place, ensuring you are lined up with the hole in the rear. You then push down on the front edge. So instead of reaching inside to flip the first latch, you run inside to pee?

Do you put the top on then step back to admire how good it looks with the intention to latch it later after you shine the wheels?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Taking off the top is a 40 second process. Once you pop the third latch, you lift the top off the car. In the five seconds it would take to grab the top, you would need to run into the house?

The same with putting the top back on. You carefully put the top in place, ensuring you are lined up with the hole in the rear. You then push down on the front edge. So instead of reaching inside to flip the first latch, you run inside to pee?

Do you put the top on then step back to admire how good it looks with the intention to latch it later after you shine the wheels?
I didn't asked to be criticized. I'm just sharing a situation. If it upsets you let someone else know cause I'm not interested.

Last edited by pjazz; 08-17-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pjazz
I didn't asked to be criticized. I'm just sharing a situation. If it upsets you let someone else know cause I'm not interested.
I'm sorry if it came off that way. I wasn't criticizing you. I asked a question, you replied. I guess I should have put my comments in a separate post.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 AM
rmiller86
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
i actually like it more than i thought i would (not my car, i have silver with black roof and halo)

That is the exact look I was talking about!!

Quick Reply: Top went one way car went another