C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Release Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Default Rear Hatch Release Switch

The rubber cover on the hatchback release switch has worn off. I'm referring to the switch located on the back of the car above the license plate that releases the hatch. I assume the rubber cover is a part of the switch, and that the whole thing needs to be replaced. After looking at it, I'm not sure how to access it. Has anyone had to replace the switch in their car? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Last edited by unclecookie; 08-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Update:

I just ordered a new switch from Gene at Cultrag.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:00 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Update:

I just ordered a new switch from Gene at Cultrag.
I think you may have to drill out the 2 rivets, pull the complete assembly out, replace the switch and then re-rivet it back into place
Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE 06
I think you may have to drill out the 2 rivets, pull the complete assembly out, replace the switch and then re-rivet it back into place
I've had the switch out twice on my '05 coupe - both times because it jammed up and wouldn't open the hatch.

There's no rivets to drill. Getting it out couldn't be easier. Take out the inside right tail light (1 Phillips screw at the top). Wrap it in a rag and carefully let it dangle on the taillight harness.

Reach into the taillight hole and feel for the switch. On top of the switch is the harness plug. It's a locking type plug. Pull up a little on the lock then pull up on the plug. Now feel the bottom of the switch where it passes through the body. You'll feel a tab on either side of the switch. Press those in while pushing down on the switch body. After a minute of fiddeling around getting the feel of it, the switch will drop out of it's hole into your hand.

At this point you will probably need to install a new switch if parts were missing on the original.

There's lots of old threads on this forum, with pictures, of removing and overhauling the switch. Do a search if my description is lacking and you want pics.

Good luck with it. In the 10,000 miles I put on my '05, this switch is the only repair I had to make (twice). It gets a lot of dirt in it and jams up.

-Mark

Last edited by MarkB3; 08-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

There's a great FAQ by Talon90 with lots of pictures that shows you exactly how to remove, clean, and replace that switch. It's a piece of cake. The only special tool you need is a #15 Torx screwdriver to remove one screw holding the inboard passenger-side tail light.. A Torx looks like a six-pointed star (not an Allen wrench).

Unfortunately someone messed up Corvette Forum's ability to display pics, so those won't be visible until that capability gets fixed. The link is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570084813

If your button top is really worn off, you can buy a whole new switch for about $15.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:05 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Super easy to replace. No drilling needed. $20 at the dealer.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
There's a great FAQ by Talon90 with lots of pictures that shows you exactly how to remove, clean, and replace that switch. It's a piece of cake. The only special tool you need is a #15 Torx screwdriver to remove one screw holding the inboard passenger-side tail light.. A Torx looks like a six-pointed star (not an Allen wrench).

Unfortunately someone messed up Corvette Forum's ability to display pics, so those won't be visible until that capability gets fixed. The link is:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570084813

If your button top is really worn off, you can buy a whole new switch for about $15.
Yeah, I found out about the problem with photos after doing a search for the switch problem. My understanding is that the problem is with photos posted using Photo Bucket.
Thanks to all of you for the helpful info. I ordered a new switch from Cultrag and will replace it when it arrives.

Last edited by unclecookie; 08-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Release Switch

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Release Switch