C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe v Vert for exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rc4g
at or mt6?
at.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:23 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by BadAV
Why not do a retro? I swapped to NPP from the Billy Boat PRT that was on my car when I bought it. I added the NPP-in-a-box kit and now have loud exhaust when I want it and stock quiet for long highway trips. Best of both worlds. Kit install was simple; I hung the remote from the rear view mirror from a caribiner so it's readily accessible, and I can remove it and toss it in the console when I want. It cost me a couple hundred out of pocket because I sold the PRT to defray some of the costs.
I guess I should look into it, but I'm guessing the cost would be about the same as the high end aftermarket ones. I don't know if there is much of a market for stock exhausts ( to defray the cost). I would need the kit and the exhaust.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:23 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by mfj427
Stock 427 Vert exhaust. Pulled the fuse to leave the flaps wide open.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006corvetteman
I guess I should look into it, but I'm guessing the cost would be about the same as the high end aftermarket ones. I don't know if there is much of a market for stock exhausts ( to defray the cost). I would need the kit and the exhaust.
You can buy the NPP mufflers for $400-$500 used on the forum and the NPP-in-a-box kit is $200-$225 depending on where you buy it.

Last edited by BadAV; 08-14-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Anybody have an opinion or actual experience as far as a comparison of aftermarket exhaust drone in a coupe v vert? I have an 06 vert and am considering an exhaust, but I don't want to limit my options if I don't have too. Thanks for any insight.
I've had both a loud coupe (Borla S Type II) and a loud vert (NPP). As others have said, all in all the vert is a much quieter ride, all things being equal. I owned both with new tires. The vert with new GY OEM supercar tires and the coupe with new Hancook evo2's.

The vert is a way quieter ride. There is no echo chamber in back in a vert like there is in a coupe.

As for drone, the NPP system with flaps open has a lot of drone. At interstate speeds it drove me crazy so I ran with flaps closed.

The Borla S Type II axelback system advertises no drone. I found that to be not quiet true. I took the car on a civil war battlefield tour last year through Virginia, Maryland and PA. With a fully loaded car, 2 people, and running a up slight incline, I got enough drone to make me change speeds or shift to 5th gear.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by BadAV
You can buy the NPP mufflers for $400-$500 used on the forum and the NPP-in-a-box kit is $200-$225 depending on where you buy it.
That's enough info to make me take a serious look at that option. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkB3
I've had both a loud coupe (Borla S Type II) and a loud vert (NPP). As others have said, all in all the vert is a much quieter ride, all things being equal. I owned both with new tires. The vert with new GY OEM supercar tires and the coupe with new Hancook evo2's.

The vert is a way quieter ride. There is no echo chamber in back in a vert like there is in a coupe.

As for drone, the NPP system with flaps open has a lot of drone. At interstate speeds it drove me crazy so I ran with flaps closed.

The Borla S Type II axelback system advertises no drone. I found that to be not quiet true. I took the car on a civil war battlefield tour last year through Virginia, Maryland and PA. With a fully loaded car, 2 people, and running a up slight incline, I got enough drone to make me change speeds or shift to 5th gear.
Thank you for the info. Very helpful.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Going to a full OEM Z06 3" NPP system will improve performance over stock 2.5" system and still cost less than aftermarket dual mode mufflers (Akropvic/ BB Fusions).
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks. NPP was not an option for my year, and I'm not too interested in doing a retrofit.
2008 NPP is a direct fit, 2009 thru 2013 is not. I installed a set from a 2008 (used) on my 2006 and installed a toggle switch to control the flaps. I ran a vacuum line from the intake to a solenoid and then to a "T" fitting above the mufflers and then to the valves on the flaps.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC4G
Going to a full OEM Z06 3" NPP system will improve performance over stock 2.5" system and still cost less than aftermarket dual mode mufflers (Akropvic/ BB Fusions).
Thanks. When you say full, do you mean cat back or headers too?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:22 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
2008 NPP is a direct fit, 2009 thru 2013 is not. I installed a set from a 2008 (used) on my 2006 and installed a toggle switch to control the flaps. I ran a vacuum line from the intake to a solenoid and then to a "T" fitting above the mufflers and then to the valves on the flaps.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the vid and may get back to you with some questions.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure if this helps but my convertible is actually more quiet with the top down than with it up, I do not get it but it is. The factory exhaust sounds great if you put long tube headers and X-Pipe on it. I was amazed how mean it sounds with the stock system after I added the headers, which I did myself with only car stands. Surprisingly it is not that hard at all so just a side note, if you get headers or like me or a kit from headers to the axle-back area, you can do it yourself pretty easy as long as its a good built system. Mine from LG bolted right up great.

If this matters, I watched a show where they did a dyno test using a baseline pull, an H-Pipe pull with 2.5 inch pipe, then 3 inch pipe, and a pull with x-pipe with 2.5 and one with 3 inch.

The winner was the 3 inch x-pipe, it was almost the same power as just dyno headers with an 18 inch extension. It only gave up about 5hp where as the 2.5 pipe gave up almost 20hp, so regardless what muffler or headers you may go with, do 3 inch pipe all the way to the tips and it will make a difference.

Hope that helps, I love the Borla Attak and the one below it, not the touring, but that is me and I refuse to pay $1500 for just an axle-back system.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GhostC6
Not sure if this helps but my convertible is actually more quiet with the top down than with it up, I do not get it but it is. The factory exhaust sounds great if you put long tube headers and X-Pipe on it. I was amazed how mean it sounds with the stock system after I added the headers, which I did myself with only car stands. Surprisingly it is not that hard at all so just a side note, if you get headers or like me or a kit from headers to the axle-back area, you can do it yourself pretty easy as long as its a good built system. Mine from LG bolted right up great.

If this matters, I watched a show where they did a dyno test using a baseline pull, an H-Pipe pull with 2.5 inch pipe, then 3 inch pipe, and a pull with x-pipe with 2.5 and one with 3 inch.

The winner was the 3 inch x-pipe, it was almost the same power as just dyno headers with an 18 inch extension. It only gave up about 5hp where as the 2.5 pipe gave up almost 20hp, so regardless what muffler or headers you may go with, do 3 inch pipe all the way to the tips and it will make a difference.

Hope that helps, I love the Borla Attak and the one below it, not the touring, but that is me and I refuse to pay $1500 for just an axle-back system.
Thank you for the info. I'll look into the header option a bit more.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My '07 vert M6 had Borla axle back (don't remember what model of Borla) when I bought it. It had an awesome sound, except the drone was unbearable at highway cruising speed with the engine around 1700-1800 rpm. Once, coming home from a day trip I had to run in 5th gear to avoid the drone range. My wife is/was more sensitive to it than I. I believe the Borla system was made prior to the current version that advertises no drone. I don't know for sure if they have eliminated the drone, but another previous poster indicated it may not.

I installed Corsa Sport in a near even trade for my Borla system after much research here on CF and elsewhere. There is virtually no drone, except in rare instances like going up a hill in 6th under a load. But is is very minor compared to the Borla. I am not knocking the current Borla system; I have no experience with it. I have no experience in a coupe, but in my case the drone seemed worse with the top up.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony 327
My '07 vert M6 had Borla axle back (don't remember what model of Borla) when I bought it. It had an awesome sound, except the drone was unbearable at highway cruising speed with the engine around 1700-1800 rpm. Once, coming home from a day trip I had to run in 5th gear to avoid the drone range. My wife is/was more sensitive to it than I. I believe the Borla system was made prior to the current version that advertises no drone. I don't know for sure if they have eliminated the drone, but another previous poster indicated it may not.

I installed Corsa Sport in a near even trade for my Borla system after much research here on CF and elsewhere. There is virtually no drone, except in rare instances like going up a hill in 6th under a load. But is is very minor compared to the Borla. I am not knocking the current Borla system; I have no experience with it. I have no experience in a coupe, but in my case the drone seemed worse with the top up.
Thank you.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the info. I'll look into the header option a bit more.

I was lucky enough to pick up a set of LG Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe and both off-road pipes and Hi-Flow Cats for only $500 and they only had like 1500 miles on them, the guy sold his 2005 and got a newer one so he did not need them. I was amazed at how mean and louder my car is with the LG Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe and Off-Road pipes, when it idles it just sounds a little louder, when driving around town, just a little louder but when I nail it or rev it up it sounds mean as hell. And this is with my stock axle-back system. I am leaving it that way but I am thinking about putting some electric cut-outs where the off-road pipe is in front of the x-pipe right after the collector on the headers so when I want loud or performance I will have it, then push a switch and back to normal.

You may want to consider something like that if your wanting sound and more power just some of the time or certain situations. I am still not sure why my convertible is more quiet with the top down than up but it is for some reason, I think the top allows the sound to bounce off the top and resonate in the cabin. But with the top down the sound can simply exit and not bounce back into the cabin, not sure but it is more quiet with the top down. Check out the items for sale here on the forum, you may find the parts you seek here, it is where I found my headers. They were normally around $1500 and I got them for $500 but had to drive 5 hours each way to get them, 10 hour drive but saved a $1000 bucks, I would do it again in a heartbeat...lol

So keep checking the for sale section, you can also set up alerts so that anytime a new post is made it will notify you so that way you do not miss out. Trust me, stuff moves fast on here. Hope something I have said helps you.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Thank you, you have been quite helpful. I grew about the sound not bouncing around with the top down
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

*Agree

Quick Reply: Coupe v Vert for exhaust drone