C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 Runs Rough then Dies when hot

Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2005 C6 Runs Rough then Dies when hot

Tadge,
Have you ever heard of a C6 that when it gets to operating temp then driven or sits idling just quits. Sometimes no codes, sometimes a P0203, sometimes (mostly) the DIC displays "Service Traction System"?

Took the fuse box apart and inspected it with a magnifying glass and a high quality meter. Nothing evident. Swapped all the relays around as well as fuses.
Looking for a common denominator, I replaced the Crank Position Sensor. No Joy.
Has fuel pressure.
Not quite ready to take it to the dealer, they are pretty incompetent, and I may just buy a clone Tech2.
I was a factory trained motorcycle mechanic in my younger years, and was the Chief R+D Engineer for what was the biggest Slot machine mfg. for 18 years. So I am not completely inexperienced.
Any thoughts??
Ted
Update:
Today I let the car idle for almost 2 hours, in 85 degree heat with a good breeze and it did not die. Usually it takes 50 min to an hour to quit. So this is looking heat related.

Last edited by TedG; 08-13-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 AM
pfic06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a guess from my part, but the Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF contains an Intake Air Temperature IAT sensor. Might look at that as it appears that it is temp related.
From my 06 base service manual. The connector looking with the tab up, shows Pin A low reference TN, B IAT TN, C Ground BK/WH, D PK ignition, E MAP sensor YE.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:12 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pfic06
Just a guess from my part, but the Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF contains an Intake Air Temperature IAT sensor. Might look at that as it appears that it is temp related.
From my 06 base service manual. The connector looking with the tab up, shows Pin A low reference TN, B IAT TN, C Ground BK/WH, D PK ignition, E MAP sensor YE.
That has possibilities.
One time it died and I pulled, cooled and cleaned the MAF. It ran for another hour, but was that it? I have tried cooling it with compressed air, but that didn't do anything. But maybe cooling it externally isn't enough. What bothers me is it just quits and throws a random code, one time it it P0203, another was U2100, another time it was p0300. There were others I just don't remember them all.
And almost every time it happens it does the Service Traction System message.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Write down the codes. You should be able to find the codes here or somewhere and it might give you an idea what the problem is. Check the plug wires on both ends. GL. Could be bad air/gas mixture and that could trip a code, could be injectors are very dirty too and need cleaning or replacement. Hard to tell, but codes might help.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 08-14-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Write down the codes. You should be able to find the codes here or somewhere and it might give you an idea what the problem is. Check the plug wires on both ends. GL. Could be bad air/gas mixture and that could trip a code, could be injectors are very dirty too and need cleaning or replacement. Hard to tell, but codes might help.
The latest batch of codes are P0203, P0300,P0205.
Even those all together would only make it run rough. Once it dies, if you just let it sit for 10 minutes it cranks but won't even try to start. If you try to restart it right after it dies it runs perfectly for a few seconds and then dies. And as the heat soaks in it makes it worse till it won't even try to run (but cranks effortlessly).
I just did it again to test and the fuse box is so hot that you can't hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds without it beginning to burn your hand.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Okay!!
I ran the car for an hour and a half, and all is good.
This is the same ambient temp it would only run for 40 minutes before.
So I am going to say replacing the ECM fixed it.
So thanks to Chuck CoW for his help.
Now to actually drive the car more than around the block and see what this tune has done for it.
I will post this fix in the other threads I started so they don't dead end without a solution.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (09-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 Runs Rough then Dies when hot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 C6 Runs Rough then Dies when hot