C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car is burningg oil!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM
manzar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
manzar ... Just a couple of questions

Is this basically the first car you have owned?

Do you consider yourself 'mechanically inclined' (even slightly). I just ask this because I get the feeling you don't have much previous experience with cars.

Have you ever changed your own oil, or done any basic car maintenence before?

no I have a mazda 3 for the winter. and I have no idea about cars I just buy to enjoy. but sad about my corvette, such low mileage and I believe GM dealer fucked me over when I went for oil change. they charged me $250 for the oil change they said its the highest and best for performance so I said ok.

Last edited by manzar; 08-16-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:45 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by manzar
Edmonton alberta . all I know is a gm dealer which I went for my oil change and is the nearest thing here. its pretty deserted where I live . theres also a whining noise coming from the car. I just turned it off
It looks like you may be taking this thing back to the local dealer. Its not like you can really blame for any oiling issues after 5 mos. and you not checking things.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM
manzar
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by User Omega
It looks like you may be taking this thing back to the local dealer. Its not like you can really blame for any oiling issues after 5 mos. and you not checking things.

I wonder what those GM ******* did to my car
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by manzar
I wonder what those GM ******* did to my car
Probably just changed the oil. It was 5 mos ago. I would say run it and top it off to see how low it really is but with the black smoke (likely unburnt fuel) I wouldn't.

It could just be a bad O2 sensor or bad gas. I wouldn't be too concerned until you get a diagnosis. Unless you lost oil pressure I doubt the issues are related.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM
manzar
Heel & Toe

Probably just changed the oil. It was 5 mos ago. I would say run it and top it off to see how low it really is but with the black smoke (likely unburnt fuel) I wouldn't.

It could just be a bad O2 sensor or bad gas. I wouldn't be too concerned until you get a diagnosis. Unless you lost oil pressure I doubt the issues are related.

I just turned it on 5 minutes ago . again I get the message check oil level and the check engine light starts flashing. car is running pretty rough with mild black smoke idle. turned it off after 1 minute. I had the car for 1 year and no problems so 5 months after oil change my car is fked up? really this is just bs
Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

You've posted like ten times, repeatedly re starting the car but have you ADDED any oil to it yet ! The last thing I would do I'd start it knowing its low on oil ! It's not going to magically add itself and be all better, ADD some oil !
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I knew a guy that had his tire pressure checked one time. Poof! One year later he spun a main bearing. No one else had touched it since then! Can you believe it. These shops these days.. Incompetent bastards.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM
manzar
Heel & Toe

Yeah, I knew a guy that had his tire pressure checked one time. Poof! One year later he spun a main bearing. No one else had touched it since then! Can you believe it. These shops these days.. Incompetent bastards.

they are money hungry bastards , I thought I trusted GM but they ruined my car. trust me the car had only 1 previous owner and I had all the records
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

If the car ran fine for five months after they changed your oil, it is quite a stretch to think the dealer had anything to do with what is going on now. Do you think they installed a time bomb that would go off five months later?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Man up and accept some responsibility here.This is YOUR car. YOU the one that should check the dipstick at least once a month to make sure it is full of oil. The dealer is NOT suppose to come to your house each month and check your oil. Wise up!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:13 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Among the other things going on in this thread is the $250 elephant. That is way too much for an oil change!
The following users liked this post:
tennblkc6 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Vet Interested

Man up and accept some responsibility here.This is YOUR car.

YOU the one that should check the dipstick at least once a month to make sure it is full of oil.
I am getting the feeling the OP is not confident as to how to add oil to his Corvette.

He may never have even put oil in an engine in his life.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

If you add oil and still get "check oil" I would suspect the combined oil temp/oil level sensor. Easy swap, 20 buck part.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

If it's not leaking oil and if it's smoking and running a bit rough and the oil level has gone down mysteriously, all of these things are probably caused by your car ingesting oil through the PVC into the intake manifold.
In fact, I am certain that every C6 sucks oil into the intake manifold through the factory PVC system. My car only had a few hundred miles on it when I added an Elite catch can, which was the first mod I did. I remember pulling my throttle body off back then to check, and finding inside the plenum covered with oil. When I installed the catch can, it would catch about a half pint of oil per every 1,000 miles. This is because on the stock setup, the PVC system is a simple short hose connected from the valley cover to the intake plenum, and this sucks the oil misted air that your engine generates straight into the intake tract, which is not good for a number of reasons. But it was a cheap easy way for GM to deal with PVC emissions.
So, if you don't change or top up your oil often enough, your oil level will drop over time, because some of your oil is being sucked into the intake, some of which is burned and some of which just pools in the intake plenum.
Adding a catch can is, in my view, something that every C6 owner should do, because its an easy, economical way to deal with this problem.
To the OP: I can't opine on whether you got screwed by the dealer or not. But I'll offer this advice: If you didn't (or, worse yet, can't) check your own oil, it's probably best to not pick a fight with them, because no one should go on the offensive, unless they can defend themselves.

Last edited by CI GS; 08-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

manzar, calm down. Getting pissed at the dealer is not your way forward. Your motor is VERY unlikely damaged because the low oil light came on. If the 'low oil pressure' came on. There MAY be damage.

The check engine light is likely unrelated (unless you had a low oil pressure). Was it a yellow light or red? Yellow it should be safe to drive it to the dealer, after you add oil. Red... STOP AND HAVE IT TOWED IN.

These corvettes are fairly reliable cars, for a performance car. There are a few common issues outside the motor. The LS series engine is, IMO, the best mass produced engine design ever.

Again, calm down. Right now we don't really know if it is burning oil.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:45 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Boys and girls...posters manzar and soodabeh are either one and the same or twin idiot trolls. Either way
I am outta here.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I am getting the feeling the OP is not confident as to how to add oil to his Corvette.

He may never have even put oil in an engine in his life.
As stated above, this fool is a troll. We been had.

Quick Reply: my car is burningg oil!!