C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainting a C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Repainting a C6

My buddy who owns a hot rod shop will be painting my new widebody front fenders, bumper and new hood. I am going to have him repaint the rear fenders because the first person I chose did a low quality job. At this point i'm considering having him just do the doors and rear bumper for a full color change.. My only worry is taking off the rockers for him to paint, iv heard they are glued on. Do I have to have them painted on the car? Besides the rockers mirrors and deck lid am I over looking anything? Headlights roof and pillar will stay black regardless of what color I choose.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

rockers are indeed glued and should remain on............. he can paint inside the door jambs with the rockers intact as well....................... good luck on color choice decision.................
Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by g23crawler
My buddy who owns a hot rod shop will be painting my new widebody front fenders, bumper and new hood. I am going to have him repaint the rear fenders because the first person I chose did a low quality job. At this point i'm considering having him just do the doors and rear bumper for a full color change.. My only worry is taking off the rockers for him to paint, iv heard they are glued on. Do I have to have them painted on the car? Besides the rockers mirrors and deck lid am I over looking anything? Headlights roof and pillar will stay black regardless of what color I choose.

I'm not a fan of panel shooting parts, especially metallic. I have with great success but like painting panels bolted on and lined up.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:02 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

This would look great...

Or, if you just can't decide...

Old 08-21-2017, 01:16 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

I really would like to have everything pulled off the actual car before painting, you guys are funny...
I have always been a huge fan of the crystal red tintcoat, would like to do something similar..
Old 08-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Nice95gle
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette

Or, if you just can't decide...

Although meant as a joke. This paint job is very difficult and time consuming to accomplish. That's providing this is not photoshopped.

But with that said. To the OP...don't do this
Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just a word of warning.......any tintcoat colors will show ALL stone chips. All they need is to scratch the tinted clearcoat and the color change makes them visible. My 06 was Monterey Red and looked worse at the end of 1 year than my 07 looks now.

Solid colors hide shallow clear coat chips much better.

But good luck with the repaint whatever the color.

My body shop had difficulty removing the side mirrors so the ended up painting them on the car. I swiveled the mirror in and checked, yep they even painted the underside.
The following users liked this post:
HammerheadTed (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Thanks way, something to consider. The main reason im thinking about doing a full color change is because of my ocd with black... I spend more time cleaning it then driving it..
Old 08-21-2017, 02:23 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Thanks way, something to consider. The main reason im thinking about doing a full color change is because of my ocd with black... I spend more time cleaning it then driving it..
been there, done that with my baser coupe................. now my daily driver is a black Charger.....................

one thing to consider G is the investment of money.................

may be cheaper to find another, even a (slap me for sayin' it) GS for less than the total you will have spent to change yours to a widebody and color change...................... something to consider........
Old 08-21-2017, 02:34 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rkj427
been there, done that with my baser coupe................. now my daily driver is a black Charger.....................

one thing to consider G is the investment of money.................

may be cheaper to find another, even a (slap me for sayin' it) GS for less than the total you will have spent to change yours to a widebody and color change...................... something to consider........
Yup, debated that too.... Less work and time invested if I bought one already done. But where I live sales tax to license a vehicle is 7.5% that on a 30k car gets pricey. I will basically only pay material cost... (only reason im considering doing it in the first place)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I really would like to have everything pulled off the actual car before painting, you guys are funny...
I have always been a huge fan of the crystal red tintcoat, would like to do something similar..
Leaving panels on is the best way to paint....provided someone is willing to do what it takes to mask and cover everything that doesn't need painting. Thats a chore to do it right. But when panels are painted while off then you have to wear gloves that won't allow you to bite off all your finger nails while hoping something doesn't get damaged while re-assembling.....
Old 08-21-2017, 03:36 PM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Leaving panels on is the best way to paint....provided someone is willing to do what it takes to mask and cover everything that doesn't need painting. Thats a chore to do it right. But when panels are painted while off then you have to wear gloves that won't allow you to bite off all your finger nails while hoping something doesn't get damaged while re-assembling.....
Exactly! I removed front, rear and hood. Messed up the hood getting it home and had to be done again. Used a lot of tape putting things together to prevent scratching.

Last edited by HammerheadTed; 08-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HammerheadTed
Exactly! I removed front, rear and hood. Messed up the hood getting it home and had to be done again. Used a lot of tape putting things together to prevent scratching.
Valid points, I just figured it would be easier for him to have me bring him the panels. Besides the doors the rest of the car unbolts in about an hour if that? I can have a fender off in 5-10 minuets. versus him spending a day to properly mask off the car?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:03 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

If you like CRM check out 2017 Mazda Soul Red Metallic. Just saw one on the street and, in the sun, it is stunning.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:09 PM
g23crawler
Burning Brakes

This is my goal...

Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM
lightbulb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Originally Posted by HammerheadTed
I know two owners of two high end body shops where I live and both have told me they would never paint a panel on a car if it could come off. Too much time time taping and there is always a chance of overspray no matter how much you tape. I have seen their work in panel painting off the car and it is nothing short of spectacular. Dead on matches to oem shade, tint, orange peel, color etc..to the panel next to it.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Taking off, or painting panels on the car reminds me of the long debates about blending paint vs. matching paint colors.

Whatever way you go, good luck with it. Painting is really a skill and an art. Like the Rye NY poster, I happen to know one shop that gave up doing whole cars because it was less profitable than doing "repair-painting" for high end cars. That's even WITH California's high-price charges for high-end, whole-car, custom paint jobs.

Get notified of new replies

To Repainting a C6

Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

The corvette is panel painted at the factory so I see no issue with doing it that way.
When you get into trouble with panel painting is when you don't mix enough paint to spray all the panels at once.
The goal should be to spray all of the panels at once, if you use tintcoat that should include your base and top coats as the base now plays an imporatant roll in how the tint lays and reflects
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
rockers are indeed glued and should remain on............. he can paint inside the door jambs with the rockers intact as well.

here is a picture of the only part of my car that wasn't removed when I did a color change

I really would like to have everything pulled off the actual car before painting
The factory painted these cars in pieces.

So ..... Here is my car in pieces

Besides the doors the rest of the car unbolts in about an hour if that? I can have a fender off in 5-10 minuets. versus him spending a day to properly mask off the car?
These cars come apart fairly easy ...... but the reassembly takes time ..... Since you are taking everything off the car ....it takes time to re-adjust the panels to get the panel gaps right .... and the door are a little tricky to rehang and get the gaps right ..... not to mention you are doing all this with fresh paint

here are doors fresh out of the paint booth:

Here's a picture of the car reassembled:

Last edited by v8rx7com; 08-21-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by lightbulb
I know two owners of two high end body shops where I live and both have told me they would never paint a panel on a car if it could come off. Too much time time taping and there is always a chance of overspray no matter how much you tape. I have seen their work in panel painting off the car and it is nothing short of spectacular. Dead on matches to oem shade, tint, orange peel, color etc..to the panel next to it.
The most expensive super cars are painted with all panels ON,except the glass.I'm gonna get my 08 repainted oem black at a top end shop and they remove all lights and emblems.The problem when you remove all panels then, reinstalling them you will have to check all gaps and take the change of paint damage.Good Luck...BTW..Experts will take all the time needed to tape a car that is having a $$$$$$ paint job.

Quick Reply: Repainting a C6