C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No change to the looks of Corvettes from year to year anymore

Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

A lot of it has to do with economies of scale. It is less expensive to continue building a certain model without any major changes. And if a particular model car is very popular and posts good sales, there is no reason to change, and re-tool the assembly line.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Red08

A lot of it has to do with economies of scale. It is less expensive to continue building a certain model without any major changes.

And if a particular model car is very popular and posts good sales, there is no reason to change, and re-tool the assembly line.
Well, they certainly looked at it differently back in the 50s and 60s when they would pretty much change the whole body style every year (or almost every year).
Old 08-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Another thing ... Is there a reason most all new cars look pretty much all the same from a distance?

I can't tell the difference between a Hyundai Sonata and a Toyota Camry until I get right up next to them. Other than Rustang vs Camaro, the regular Ford and Chevy sedans look pretty much the same too.

But, it's really easy to tell the difference between a 57 Chevy and a 57 Ford ... even from far away.

Yup ... not all, but the majority of sedans and SUVs nowdays are pretty much "Cookie Cutter" examples of each other.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

It probably has a lot to do with the most efficient design. The best showing in a wind tunnel combined with best ergonomics for a sedan like a Malibu or taurus or Camry is going to be the same across manufacturers. Plus ease of production of certain shapes for fenders, etc. will make cars look the same in the run-of-the-mill sedan . They save the flash for more expensive top end cars. They cost more so production costs are less relevant. IMHO.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Another thing ... Is there a reason most all new cars look pretty much all the same from a distance?

Government regulations and CAFE standards.................

I can't tell the difference between a Hyundai Sonata and a Toyota Camry until I get right up next to them. Other than Mustang vs Camaro, the regular Ford and Chevy sedans look pretty much the same too.

But, it's really easy to tell the difference between a 57 Chevy and a 57 Ford ... even from far away.

Yup ... not all, but the majority of sedans and SUVs nowdays are pretty much "Cookie Cutter" examples of each other.
answer to most of your questions above.............. add in the fact that the OEM's are looking for lowest manufacturing costs due to shrinking profit margins on smaller vehicles................. in the "old days" OEM's would utilize the same frames, and powertrains / drivetrains for numerous years while making less expensive sheet metal changes................ once the government increased it's presence in the automotive industry for safety, fuel economy, etc. regulations and OEM's went to more cost effective, lighter weight "unibody platforms" with sub frames or modules in place of full frames, major yearly changes are too costly and difficult to accomplish......................... unless the end user consumer is willing to accept these higher costs and pay for them during vehicle purchases
Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 AM
lodilobo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Those were some great days. When you control a market more or less you can do that. Everything is relative too, a lot happens in 60 years. Those two had to be some of the best. Loved them both. This one still looks great too. 1960.........

1960 Cascade Green 1of 140

1960 Cascade Green
I would prefer this over anything made in Germany. Beautiful.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree. Late model C1's and C2's are, in many ways, the peak of Vette development. Clearly not in a technical sense but in an aesthetic and desirability one.
The following users liked this post:
sly1 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:26 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I agree. Late model C1's and C2's are, in many ways, the peak of Vette development. Clearly not in a technical sense but in an aesthetic and desirability one.
The C1 and C2 still turns heads 60 years after they were first introduced. My first sports car was a C2 split window which I wished I never sold. I went to a local cars and coffee meet last Saturday, and there were many exotics such as Porsche GT2RS, GT3, and GT4, and a few Ferraris, but no car got more attention than a 1965 Corvette, split window. The C2 was impeccably restored, and it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. I asked the owner if he was willing to sell, and he told me that he rejected an unsolicited $130K from a collector. There was a 1970 Porsche 911E parked next to the C2, and if I were the 911 owner, I would have chosen another spot. Just a couple people checking out the 911, but around 20 were gathered around the C2.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 PM
C5forGreg
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C6 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by sly1
T I went to a local cars and coffee meet last Saturday, and there were many exotics such as Porsche GT2RS, GT3, and GT4, and a few Ferraris, but no car got more attention than a 1965 Corvette, split window.
If you saw a '65 split window, you were truly looking at 1 of a kind, considering the only year it was made (by Chevy) was '63.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

The VW Beetle changed the game. But it wasn't until foreign competition and loss of market share when there really wasn't enough volume to change a car every year. Those amortized costs had to carry on for several years. Slight changes to trim and grills are largely an unnecessary cost and usually harm the original styling more than help. Hopefully, quality and defects are worked out.

The C6 had an update in '08 with LS-3 and minor interior trim. And then additional trim levels with Z06, GS and ZR1.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 AM
lodilobo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5forGreg
If you saw a '65 split window, you were truly looking at 1 of a kind, considering the only year it was made (by Chevy) was '63.
You beat me to it....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No change to the looks of Corvettes from year to year anymore