C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Borla worth every penny!

I finally got my Borla Type II S (#11815) axle back system. It's been a long wait because there is another Borla Type II Classic (#11744) that was shipped to me first.

Fortunately I became suspicious when the first one I received did not look like the picture on the order form. A quick call to Borla confirmed my suspicions. The tech at Borla was quick to tell me that the Type II Classic is loud all the time, while the Type II S is quiet while cruising but sounds off when you put your foot in it.

So I sent the Classic back and just received the #11815 on Monday. I had them installed today and I am very happy with the result.

No drone anywhere at any RPM or load. Sounds nice and deep while idling and when driving down the road it is basically almost silent until you put your foot in it. Then it sounds off very nicely. For the most part it can be described as all of the noise being behind the car, not resonating up through the coupe luggage area.

I know that descriptions of sound, drone, etc. are very subjective and change from one individual to another, but maybe the very best way to put this is I don't have to persuade myself or others that I'm OK with the sound. There is NO DRONE.

I've had four other Borla systems in the past and always been very pleased.

Compared to the previous system which droned horribly between 1200 RPM to 1600 RPM this is a win /win all around.

Before anyone accuses me of trying to sell anything I could care less if you buy Borla or not. But, for those interested in a quality exhaust system that won't wear you out, sounds great and that your wife will like; for me it's Borla, #11815.

I'm sure that there are other brands out there that perform well, but for me the exhaust is one issue that's behind me (pun intended).
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
dmk0210 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Here's a pic of the system I took off. I still do not know the brand. The muffler shop guy did not know either.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM
mfj427
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you for the ride up I have been debating about doing this myself. Below is me at the track with the stock exhaust currently.

View this post on Instagram

QUOTE=Gbrad;1595473517]I finally got my Borla Type II S (#11815) axle back system. It's been a long wait because there is another Borla Type II Classic (#11744) that was shipped to me first.

Fortunately I became suspicious when the first one I received did not look like the picture on the order form. A quick call to Borla confirmed my suspicions. The tech at Borla was quick to tell me that the Type II Classic is loud all the time, while the Type II S is quiet while cruising but sounds off when you put your foot in it.

So I sent the Classic back and just received the #11815 on Monday. I had them installed today and I am very happy with the result.

No drone anywhere at any RPM or load. Sounds nice and deep while idling and when driving down the road it is basically almost silent until you put your foot in it. Then it sounds off very nicely. For the most part it can be described as all of the noise being behind the car, not resonating up through the coupe luggage area.

I know that descriptions of sound, drone, etc. are very subjective and change from one individual to another, but maybe the very best way to put this is I don't have to persuade myself or others that I'm OK with the sound. There is NO DRONE.

I've had four other Borla systems in the past and always been very pleased.

Compared to the previous system which droned horribly between 1200 RPM to 1600 RPM this is a win /win all around.

Before anyone accuses me of trying to sell anything I could care less if you buy Borla or not. But, for those interested in a quality exhaust system that won't wear you out, sounds great and that your wife will like; for me it's Borla, #11815.

I'm sure that there are other brands out there that perform well, but for me the exhaust is one issue that's behind me (pun intended).[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Very nice track footage! Your Vette sounds nice too.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I wanted to replace the Dynomax AKA Dronomax mufflers that came on mine, with Borlas, either the SII or Touring. I just couldn't get off my wallet for the sake of exhaust sound. The stock exhaust growls some when I put the happy pedal down, but I can see why Borlas are popular. Glad someone makes an axle back that doesn't drone.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Originally Posted by ben z
I wanted to replace the Dynomax AKA Dronomax mufflers that came on mine, with Borlas, either the SII or Touring. I just couldn't get off my wallet for the sake of exhaust sound. The stock exhaust growls some when I put the happy pedal down, but I can see why Borlas are popular. Glad someone makes an axle back that doesn't drone.
I purchased from Auto Anything and I think I paid 1371.00. I trusted my previous experiences with Borla that it would be money well spent, and it was.

That is a chunk of change to put down for two mufflers and two pre-formed pipes. However, these guys have done their homework so I don't mind paying for engineering expertise.

Nice stainless steel too.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 PM
bklynfirst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2006 with Borla's already on it. I too am impressed with the low rev sound but when you open it up, it says look out! The sound scared the crap out of me at throttle, and I am sure it woke up the a$$wipe I passed.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Originally Posted by bklynfirst
I bought my 2006 with Borla's already on it. I too am impressed with the low rev sound but when you open it up, it says look out! The sound scared the crap out of me at throttle, and I am sure it woke up the a$$wipe I passed.
Yeah. The first time I really pushed down on the pedal on mine with the other exhaust -the sound when it really hit the power band was incredible. It startled me too. I laughed at myself for being scared. That's when I knew the Vette was a keeper.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

My 2005 came with a Borla system. Nice rumble at low rom but when you press the pedal and top 3500 rpm, it sounds like Gabriel's trumpets! An incredible sound.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 AM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I put the S Type II's on my '05 coupe a few years ago. I LOVED THEM!! No drone (mostly), outstanding sound when you put your foot in the gas.

I've traded up to an '11 GS with NPP with a mild-to-wild switch. To be completely honest... I miss my Borla's. NPP with the flaps open sounds mostly like a leaking muffler.

The Borla S Type II's made my '05 sound like a supercar.

Anyone considering Borla's should know that they are a snap to install yourself. I had the car up 21" and that was plenty to remove the factory pipes and install the Borla's.

Mark
Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 AM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the classic version and it is definitely a quality system and very easy to install, I had originally ordered another brand but had a horrible experience. I was able to get my axle back for just over $1000 shipped.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbrad
...That is a chunk of change to put down for two mufflers and two pre-formed pipes. However, these guys have done their homework so I don't mind paying for engineering expertise...

I don't think a lot of folks realize what goes into designing a properly performing exhaust system. They see some guy at Meineke mufflers slap some pipes together and think that's all there is to it. For a proper performance car, that won't suffice at all.

Here's an interesting /Drive video of a Magnaflow engineer describing the theory behind designing these things. (It's geeky but not boring)

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-31-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice choice!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:20 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I purchased my 2006 in Maryland and it already had an S-Type II on it. Drove it back to Massachusetts and can confirm that there is NO DRONE. NONE. I've had the C6 now for a year and a half and love it and the sound more and more each day.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I removed my NPP mufflers after installing a set of headers.

I now have a Borla 'Touring Type I' system (this is the older style) on my GS. Since the Type I has been discontinue, I was able to purchase it directly from Borla on a closeout price ($759 to the door).

Very happy with this set of 304 stainless mufflers and the headers combo. Since they are the 'Touring' style .... no highway drone at all, even with headers.

Attachment 48332457

Attachment 48336146

Get notified of new replies

To Borla worth every penny!

Quick Reply: Borla worth every penny!