C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette lighter now working

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I had to go out in my car and look. The 12V receptacle in the dash is for a cigarette lighter!! And there is an ashtray in there too!! I never opened it up to look. It doesn't actually have a lighter though. The one one in the console is just a 12V power outlet. Learn something new everyday about my Corvette.

I need to correct you and me...

I double checked, my GM shop manual calls it a CIGAR lighter, per Bob I'm sure!

I do think that both 12V sockets are non-switched. I had said I thought the console one was switched.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 80atez
I need to correct you and me...

I double checked, my GM shop manual calls it a CIGAR lighter, per Bob I'm sure!

I do think that both 12V sockets are non-switched. I had said I thought the console one was switched.
I guess the demographics show a Corvette owner smokes stogies more than cigarettes or blunts.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

My CIGAR lighter works but it's never been used. I smoke the occasional cigar but never in my vehicles. Once when the interstate was at a complete standstill because of an accident on a bridge I did get out and smoked a cigar while waiting.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 PM
80atez
Pro

FWIW I replaced my cigar lighter socket because it was popping the fuse. Seems to work perfect now. I lost the cigar lighter element, but I bought a double 2.1A USB plug for it to update the C6 into the 2010's! Looks kinda cool...

The particular USB plug doesn't work in the accessory socket because that is too deep for the plug so its sprung contact can't reach the socket end, fyi.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 PM
CrazyKZ-777
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The last time I had my car at the dealer I mentioned about the lighter not working. They replaced the fuse and said I was good to go. I plugged something in it and it blew the fuse. So, I also might need to completely replace the socket. Can you send a picture of what you installed? But are you saying that it doesn't work?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I Part of the problem is created when you use the lighter socket as a continuous power source. Good thread on this a few years ago, but basically it has to do with the socket design. The lighter socket has additional tabs that get bent when a power plug is inserted over a period of time. Can cause the socket to not work at all. I replaced one just for that reason. Forgot to add on mine that after a while I blew a fuse every time I plugged in my accessory. That led me to change the receptacle.

Last edited by dpigguy; 10-23-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
80atez (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 PM
80atez
Pro

^^ This makes sense. I will remove the usb plug when not using it (which is basically always!)...

And to CrazyKZ-777, no, once I replaced the socket, it works fine. They fail apparently...

I went online, got the socket by itself for like 7$, used a circlip pliers to remove the old socket (has two little plastic indents that need to be pushed out with the tool they sell, but you don't need that). Save the plastic bits that attach to the socket and use on the new one. It's not hard. What's hard is posting a picture on this forum, so I can't do that for you, sorry...
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyKZ-777
The last time I had my car at the dealer I mentioned about the lighter not working. They replaced the fuse and said I was good to go. I plugged something in it and it blew the fuse. So, I also might need to completely replace the socket. Can you send a picture of what you installed? But are you saying that it doesn't work?
This tool will help greatly in replacing the socket.

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter now working