C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Red12
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I should probably replace the Goodyears this year. I`m definately in on the Michelins but I`m not sure whether to go with the new SS 4s or just go with the cup series like what comes on the ZO6. My buddy got 15,000 miles on his tires on a ZO6. I put 12,000 miles on my 2012 GS in 6 years so its the same thing. Can someone talk me out of the cup series? I don`t drive the car in the rain or the snow.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM
FloridaC6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
I keep a 12 volt air pump in all my cars.. but aside from that -- My X5 has 105,000 never had a flat in its 12 years of service, my 280 SL, 220,000 miles I have had for 33 years and never a flat, my 1998 C5 never had a flat in its 57,000 mile I had her. My 2013 GS is now 3+ years old and no flats.. --- that is why I was ok for putting non runflats on the 2012 GS.
I usually don’t get flats but Saturday went to take the Vette out of the garage and dash read low tire pressure left rear. Yep screw in tire on 3 month old, 3000 mile Mitchelins. No big deal. Got a pump and tire repair kit (plugs). Will fix it this weekend. Didn’t have time last Saturday but did jack the car on that side and put a jack stand to keep it going all the way flat and weight of car sitting on it for a week.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:03 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Really depends on where and how you drive. Most run flats are only good for about 50 miles at 50 mph. That's usually not enough to get me home and you're never going to find a replacement tire out in the sticks so it's a flat bed tow with either tire. Why put up with run flats?
You can go 100 miles easy
Old 04-04-2018, 04:01 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
worth mentioning here on the 4S Michelins non run flats... I have had them for just a short time on my GS -- but the fronts are quite a bit noisier than the Bridgestones or the GY runcraps.. Quite noticeable - tire noise was previously in the rear portion but now I hear the tire noise up front.
Did you get the alignment checked?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Really depends on where and how you drive. Most run flats are only good for about 50 miles at 50 mph. That's usually not enough to get me home and you're never going to find a replacement tire out in the sticks so it's a flat bed tow with either tire. Why put up with run flats?
The 50 mile 50 mph restriction does not mean that when one reaches the limit they must cease driving. What it means that if necessary to exceed the limits the likelihood of the tire being repairable is reduced or eliminated.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Did you get the alignment checked?
No I have not. Mainly because do not see a reason... the Original GYs I just took off - 14K miles had a lot of tread left. and it was very even across the width. so I wont mess with alignment that I know is working.

The front noise is just something I noticed a bit different in driving it over the past couple of days. Ride is better, rear noise a little less, front noise is a bit noticeable. I really dont see much difference in road noise change between the Original GY, the Bridgestones I have on my other GS. and these Michelins... That wide of tire on the front and the rear is going to have a lot of energy produced as it meets the road.. the energy is converted to noise. - I do not think there is much any tire manufacturer can do about it...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by goldendog
Discount tire doesn't show the 4S on the website for my store. I may call them. Why would you say that I most likely don't need an alignment? I have never in my life bought tires without an alignment.

I will call Costco. They don't list the 4S on their site.

I am also now looking at the Pilot A/S 3+. It looks like I can get a set of those installed for about $300 less than the 4S (Costco has them for $961 OTD and I'm guessing to add $100 for the alignment elsewhere). I don't need A/S tires, but do drive later in the fall and early in the spring (without snow) when the roads are cold.
Hmm, I have never had an alignment ever, even after buying tires on any of my cars.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:10 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'd rather deal with a very rare occurrence than the harsh ride of a run flat. Personal choice.
Harsh ride, and harsh price!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

$1257.05 with everything out the door price. I have the written up quote and waiting for the weather to warm up. That is for CT where prices on everything seem to be higher than most states but a few. This is from a small local shop that beat out the big 3 tire places. The same shop got me one white wall for my station wagon while the others said they either couldnt find one in that size OR I had to buy 4 tires. If you have a local shop, go down there with the quotes you can get online form the big boys and have them beat the price, plus you wont have to wait for ever to have them installed. The shop owner called me when my whitewall came in and told me when to come down so I wouldnt have to wait one minute, NICE. I was in and out under 10 minutes. I have spent hours waiting at town fair tire and not doing that ever again.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Prices