C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell oil burning but no leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Mine always did it for about 1000 miles after an oil change (and no, there was no spilt oil) then it went mostly away till the next oil change.

Catch can would have done nothing for that.
The PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) evacuates crank case vapor by SUCKING it into the INTAKE and has done so since it's inception on GM cars anyway since the early sixties. Once in the intake it gets burned with the fuel and goes out the tail pipe. As I said earlier there are many theories and some of them derived from people who don't understand how it (the PCV system) works. Think what you want. If you want to get rid of the oil stink put a catch can on it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html
Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim
The PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) evacuates crank case vapor by SUCKING it into the INTAKE and has done so since it's inception on GM cars anyway since the early sixties. Once in the intake it gets burned with the fuel and goes out the tail pipe. As I said earlier there are many theories and some of them derived from people who don't understand how it (the PCV system) works. Think what you want. If you want to get rid of the oil stink put a catch can on it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html
But why immediately after an oil change and only for about 1000 miles.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:58 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
But why immediately after an oil change and only for about 1000 miles.
I can't answer that but mine did it on and off all year. It could be that you notice it just after the change because you're looking for it?? When I lived in California full time I changed my oil twice a year but the smell was there long after the oil change. After the catch can installation the smell was gone and an inspection of the blower revealed no oil accumulation. Apparently this issue has carried over to the newer LT engines in the C7 section.

Last edited by GMJim; 04-22-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

what we need is 1 person. Just one person that reports still having the 1000miles after oil changes issue, that also is using the upgraded barbell in their rear cover.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:03 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
what we need is 1 person. Just one person that reports still having the 1000miles after oil changes issue, that also is using the upgraded barbell in their rear cover.
I don't think anybody will go to the trouble and expense to change the barbell to fix this issue but yes it would be interesting to see the results. Changing this part won't stop oil from accumulating in the intake though.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 PM
GibAholic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim
I don't think anybody will go to the trouble and expense to change the barbell to fix this issue but yes it would be interesting to see the results. Changing this part won't stop oil from accumulating in the intake though.
I was getting the oil smell 1000 miles after an oil change with M1 5w30. This time I tried castrol 0w40 european, no smell after the oil change. I am interested in seeing if there is more circumstantial evidence with the exhaust.

I tried this because in my mini cooper s, M1 would always drop a quart in the change interval where Castrol would only drop 1/4 of a quart.

I have heard castrol has a higher flash point, and certainly noticed a difference with a turbo car.

Last edited by GibAholic; 05-23-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just to review this subject that comes up often, take a look at this thread and it's follow-up.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1585654062

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-part-iii.html
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 AM
GibAholic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GibAholic
I was getting the oil smell 1000 miles after an oil change with M1 5w30. This time I tried castrol 0w40 european, no smell after the oil change. I am interested in seeing if there is more circumstantial evidence with the exhaust.

I tried this because in my mini cooper s, M1 would always drop a quart in the change interval where Castrol would only drop 1/4 of a quart.

I have heard castrol has a higher flash point, and certainly noticed a difference with a turbo car.
Noticeable difference in soot build up on exhaust compared to M1, 4 weeks and very little carbon build up on exhaust tips.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

• Back to the oil change. When I first got my C6 the dealer did my first three oil changes. After EVERY oil change I got the smell. I don't know, maybe they were sloppy filling the car and leaked some oil on the exhaust. I could not see evidence of a mess but the smell was strong for about 500 miles. Once I started doing my own oil changes I was careful not to leak anything. I wrapped rags on the exhaust to make sure no oil came in contact with the exhaust. I have NEVER had the smell since. This worked for me. Your results may vary!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-22-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Smell oil burning but no leak