C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash, - helpful tip

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
As for those who don't use water that might work for show cars but for the segment of Corvettes that live/work in the real world where cars actually get driven in the rain keeping them clean using only "water-less" methods is just not a viable option.
I daily drove my C5 for three years, rain or shine, and used waterless wash only. It works just fine as long as you do it right.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Leaf blower for anywhere water gets trapped.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jost6453
If you get annoyed by the dibble of water coming out from behind your tail lights after washing your car, consider drilling a small drain hole at the base of the light opening in the rear fascia. I did this on my C6 years ago .... but just recently replaced the tail lights so thought I'd snap a pic and share. I know that seals are available, but this is 'free' and very effect.
I use my stihl gas powered blower over the whole car, then drymanymspots with my soft towels. Never had water come out of my tail lights.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:29 AM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Gas-powered leaf blowers are against the law around here.
You should move
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I don't have a "leaf blower," I let the wind blow them around.

Leaf blowers have to be one of the most worthless ideas layed on the American public since bottled water.
Ridiculous statements. Guess brooms, vacuum cleaners and mops are worthless ideas too? NOBODY WANTS PORTABLE LIQUIDS OR CLEAN FLOORS!!

What grinds my gears, is when people blow their sand/yard trash into the street. Oh! Great! It's clean two feet from your curb and nowhere else. That'll do I suppose. Then they wonder why their yard gets lower and lower over the years.. Blow those clippings back into the yard, imbecile!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I daily drove my C5 for three years, rain or shine, and used waterless wash only. It works just fine as long as you do it right.
So you use waterless wash inside the wheel wells, underbody, wheel barrels, engine compartment etc. ?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

I have a small yard and plenty of trees on my 8 acres, and I sit on the porch drinking wine while the wind blows the leaves around. Does a pretty good job.

and how exactly how much of that "small yard" do you have to mow, weed-eat and edge on a regular basis?

Having a nice little house in the woods is great but not really applicable when it comes to needing certain types of lawn equipment. If I lived in a boathouse on a lake somewhere I could say I have no use for a leaf-blower either. For many of us though, that is not the case.

I own 4.25 acres in a deed restricted community (permits 1 horse per acre but no livestock). Of that 4.25 acres app. 2.5 is managed front and back yard leaving the remaining acreage unimproved including a good size pond that has bass, perch and some ridiculously sized bull-frogs.. The 60+ trees spread out in the 2.5 acres drop a volume of leaves that if left unattended would kill large sections of grass in the yard and wreak havoc with my pool (both from a water quality and equipment filtration standpoint).

So yes, for those of us that it is not feasible for nature to do our lawn maintenance a leaf blower is an invaluable tool in our shop.

Last edited by RC4G; 09-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Can someone please explain this "Water-less Cleaning?

Spray fluid and just wipe down?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

So you use waterless wash inside the wheel wells, underbody, wheel barrels, engine compartment etc. ?
Yes, except for the wheels. Those I pull off the car and wash with soap and water once every couple of months, but for spot cleaning between the deep cleaning, yes, I use waterless wash on them too.
The following users liked this post:
Joe1968ny (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
Can someone please explain this "Water-less Cleaning?

Spray fluid and just wipe down?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

That video shows using waterless cleaner on basically a clean car. Might be an option for a lightly diusted car where the contaminents are only attached due to static.

Wiping a really dirty car down (puddle dirt or dried bugs) after lightly misting with a waterless cleaner is just going to push dried debris around on your finish.

Detail sprays (waterless cleaners) are great for quick touch-ups but to offer them up as a sole solution for keeping your car clean just isn't viable for cars driven in the real world.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

That video shows using waterless cleaner on basically a clean car. Might be an option for a lightly diusted car where the contaminents are only attached due to static.

Wiping a really dirty car down (puddle dirt or dried bugs) after lightly misting with a waterless cleaner is just going to push dried debris around on your finish.

Detail sprays (waterless cleaners) are great for quick touch-ups but to offer them up as a sole solution for keeping your car clean just isn't viable for cars driven in the real world.
That was just an example I grabbed quickly from YouTube to answer his question. To use on a dirty car just use a greater amount of spray, and a lot more towels. There is also a difference between a detail spray and a waterless wash. Waterless wash has more lubricity, so the dirt floats and doesn't scratch the paint. That's why I like Gary Deane's Infinite Use Detail Juice. It can be mixed as either a detail spray or a waterless wash.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I like the hole idea. I also use rinse-less wash in my garage, however I pre-spray the car down with a large pump garden sprayer filled with the Optimum No Rinse before washing the car down. I still get water pooled in the lights.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Detail sprays and waterless wash are two different products. Waterless wash have more lubricity. Imho, people who don't like them aren't using enough product. Dead bugs slide right off.

RE real world, my C6 is a daily driver.

You should move
If Bruze would like to give me his house, maybe.

Last edited by the kid C6; 09-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

Waterless wash might be OK, but I like to take my GS to the self-spray car wash primarily clean out the inner fenders and wheel barrels. I painted my barrrels black so a good spray down and they look clean enough....
Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 PM
JustDennis
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a "leaf blower," I let the wind blow them around.

Leaf blowers have to be one of the most worthless ideas layed on the American public since bottled water.
I use my leaf blower to dry my vette and bikes. Thought that was what it was for
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

You don't have 340' of two lane concrete driveway lined by oak trees you have to maintain or you would feel very, very different.

I own both electric and gas lawn blowers and they get used extensively managing my 4.25 acres surrounding my house.
Only 1000' more and you got your own drag strip!

Get notified of new replies

To Car wash, - helpful tip

Old 09-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Or just don't use water....
also

Ok so my 2013 GS has never been washed since the day I bought it 5 years ago. Or driven in the rain. Use dry wash and California duster , clay bar once a year cleaner wax and finish wax .
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

and how exactly how much of that "small yard" do you have to mow, weed-eat and edge on a regular basis?
Less and less. Since I bought it in 1981 I've let nature take back a lot of the yard. I hate lawn mowing so it all works out. But I do have to beat back the brush and trees now and then, or they would take over my whole yard.

I have a walk-behind mower (I like the exercise) and if I do my whole yard it takes about 45 minutes. But there is so much shade here the grass doesn't grow that well (yay!) so I only have to do the whole yard every week in the first couple of months in the spring.

Having a nice little house in the woods is great but not really applicable when it comes to needing certain types of lawn equipment. If I lived in a boathouse on a lake somewhere I could say I have no use for a leaf-blower either. For many of us though, that is not the case.

I own 4.25 acres in a deed restricted community (permits 1 horse per acre but no livestock). Of that 4.25 acres app. 2.5 is managed front and back yard leaving the remaining acreage unimproved including a good size pond that has bass, perch and some ridiculously sized bull-frogs.. The 60+ trees spread out in the 2.5 acres drop a volume of leaves that if left unattended would kill large sections of grass in the yard and wreak havoc with my pool (both from a water quality and equipment filtration standpoint).

So yes, for those of us that it is not feasible for nature to do our lawn maintenance a leaf blower is an invaluable tool in our shop.
FWIW: The leaves that fall here (and there are a lot) stay right where they are all winter, and in the spring after I mow the lawn a couple of times they are gone. Doesn't hurt the grass at all. It is a natural process, after all.

This is a serious question: Where do you blow the leaves to? Doesn't the wind -- fickle as it is -- likely blow them back in a day or two?

Originally Posted by the kid C6
If Bruze would like to give me his house, maybe.
Who said "You should move" . . . ?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Hands down, buy a master blaster, you wont be sorry. Love mine

Quick Reply: Car wash, - helpful tip