C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I didn't read any of the previous comment because they were long winded, and I have a short attention span.

I looked at a Boxster S before I bought my first C6. It was a nice car, and my family has a thing for Porsches. Loved the boxer engine sound, and the car was supremely capable. That said, it was frankly not that interesting to drive. It has the same sort of crazy high performance limits you get in a Corvette, without the drama from the powertrain. It turns and behaves and there's no fuss or drama to any of it. That wasn't for me. I like that if I give the Corvette a bit of extra gas the rear end slides and the tires spin.

I would buy a 911 over a Cayman for sure. The rear engine at least gives you the weight transfer to play with and entertain yourself. The mid-engine is great for bragging and winning races, but it's not that great for anything other than that.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:57 AM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
This is really the key point. My 13 GS will out handle, out brake, and WAY out accelerate (700RW) many Porsches and most BMWs. However it does not have that magical "feel". This really comes down to how the steering and the chassis react and communicate with the driver. This has always been true of Corvettes I've had (C4s, C5s, C6), while the Porsches and BMWs have always had it (although BMW lost some of it when it went to electric steering). I used to run my Vettes at road courses, and my current one I do a LOT of backroad twisty driving (Tail of the Dragon, Three Sisters in TX, Arkansas back roads, etc), and I guarantee you my GS would walk away from even a Cayman GT4 (have driven a coworker's), but the big difference is that I feel uncomfortable pushing my GS past 8-9/10ths because it just doesn't promote driver confidence at the limit. In contrast the sweetest car I've ever driven was a little Porsche 944 Turbo, I could place that car exactly where I wanted it and drive it to 10/10ths and never worry that it was going to get away from me. Same thing with the Cayman GT4, BMW Z4M that I owned (last of the hydraulic steering, NA straight six BMW M cars), and even my wife's 2010 335i Sport.

The question is what's more important to you? Living in Dallas, big HP is the thing here where my measly 700RW wouldn't even make the cut for some events. It would take WAY more money to get a car with that "feel" to the HP level I want for doing 1/2 mile & 1 mile events, and honestly I don't need that "feel" to drive around expressway/tollway. If I lived in North GA, TN or the Carolinas, I'd drop the Vette like a hot potato and go for a BMW or Porsche and spend all my weekends on Tail of the Dragon or other mountain roads. As a matter of fact, I'm actually starting to look for a gen 1 Boxster S to keep at my parents place in North GA for just that reason.
Boom. This is something that a lot of Vette fans don't seem to understand. A base model BMW from like 2010 has better steering feel than every Corvette ever made.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 AM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncstingray
You know this only applies to engines from around 2007 and older? All these issues because Porsche didn't design left and right heads so the cams would be driven from the same side of the engine. UGHH
Yes I do. I read up on the boxster/Cayman extensively. Where I live there aren't alot of porsches or corvettes for that matter. So selection isn't what it would be in a US city per say.

Last edited by JCamaro; 09-22-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

I always felt the cayman was just a luxury S2000 with a little more power. I basically traded my S for the vette.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by d.medic
This is probably the most well informed respectful thread about another model car I've seen on this forum. No bashing and full of real world facts. Thanks guys!

I...............Refreshing.

This is rare, civil. Somehow, the tribal instincts didn't kick in and it's informative to hear real first-hand discussion from those who have experience with both.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an '08 C6 and an '05 Carrera, both base 6MT, both bone stock, both DDs on alternate days or weeks. They are apples ans oranges. Their respective advantages and disadvantages seem to cancel out, I can't pick a fave. That's why I have both.

One thing if considering an older Boxster or Cayman is that the cost of a major repair (engine or transmission) often exceeds the car's value and leaves the owner in a bind.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
I have an '08 C6 and an '05 Carrera, both base 6MT, both bone stock, both DDs on alternate days or weeks. They are apples ans oranges. Their respective advantages and disadvantages seem to cancel out, I can't pick a fave. That's why I have both.

One thing if considering an older Boxster or Cayman is that the cost of a major repair (engine or transmission) often exceeds the car's value and leaves the owner in a bind.
Very true!

Being on both sides of the equation as well, and having done repairs and purchased parts for both Euro cars (not Porsche per se) and American cars (C6), yes, it can get crazy and beyond economical sense to fix/repair a Euro Marque at some point.

I've paid ridiculous money for stupid little broken parts on a Jaguar XK, for example, over a similar part on the C6. It makes a difference in two places - source of the part and volume.

Think of the C6 common HB failure and forgetting the aftermarket for a moment, imagine how many replacement GM HBs are manufactured. Compare that to the cost of replacing a HB on any model Porsche. The GM unit goes for something like less than $60. I bet you'll pay somewhere in the ATI range if you had to replace the Porsche HB, but not likely you ever will in this example.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 AM
leemann2@yahoo.com
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't reccomend one of those generation Caymans. My friend had a 2006 Cayman S with 65ish thousand miles and the engine ate itself. It started running rough on a road trip. He checked the oil and there was what looked like gold dust in the oil (presumably bearing material). Engine was shot. Apparently there are a number of design flaws in this engine and if they show up it's toast.

The worst part is the cost to repair. Engine rebuilds start at 10 grand and that was just a rebuild, we pulled and reinstalled the engine ourselves. Add another 2 grand at least to have a shop do that.

You can get a used engine for a little less but it will have all the same potential issues as the original engine. The rebuild does solve a lot of issues.

When it runs it is a great driving car but the cost of repairs is just too much in my opinion. It really hurts having to put 10+Gs into a car that's only worth about 20-25G. If you must have one I would make sure I could pay cash and be aware that the they can be very expensive to fix if engine issues pop up.

My opinion on these cars is that they are built to survive the warranty period and after that it's a crap shoot. This may be the case with a lot of cars but major out of warranty repairs are a killer and most cars aren't known to eat very expensive engines like these do either. If you are planning on buying one do some research and spend some time reading the Cayman/Boxter forums and make sure you know what you are getting into.

Last edited by leemann2@yahoo.com; 09-22-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 AM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't understand why an engine for a 20k Cayman cost more than half the original value of the vehicle. Somebody is capitalizing off the bad Porsche design flaw.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM
grboggs
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

All you Porsche Boxster owners, how is the leg room and the over all comfort for a 6ft 2in person. I had a BMW Z4 and absolutely love the car but over time I became very uncomfortable. I felt like if the seat would go back 4-5 more inches and maybe lean back a little more I would still be driving it. I bought the C6 because it had so much more leg room and all my other corvettes had fit me like a glove. I guess I need to test drive one of the 2013 and newer Boxster's to find out.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Boxster and Cayman were redesigned and given more interior room in (I think) 2013 for the Boxster and 2014 for the Cayman.

I agree - this has been a good thread.

I test drove an 09 Cayman a few years ago. I'm 6'1", 195#. I felt a bit cramped.

I'd like to test drive a newer one to see how I fit.

Last edited by A Marsh; 09-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM
leemann2@yahoo.com
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by grboggs
All you Porsche Boxster owners, how is the leg room and the over all comfort for a 6ft 2in person. I had a BMW Z4 and absolutely love the car but over time I became very uncomfortable. I felt like if the seat would go back 4-5 more inches and maybe lean back a little more I would still be driving it. I bought the C6 because it had so much more leg room and all my other corvettes had fit me like a glove. I guess I need to test drive one of the 2013 and newer Boxster's to find out.
I fit comfortably in my friend's 06 and I'm 6'2" with longinsh legs.

Last edited by leemann2@yahoo.com; 09-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I don't understand why an engine for a 20k Cayman cost more than half the original value of the vehicle. Somebody is capitalizing off the bad Porsche design flaw.
Multiple reasons:
  • It is a more complex engine than an LS.
  • Fewer people that know how to do the work (both building the engine and install).
  • Supply & demand, there are way fewer Boxster/Caymans sold then Vettes. Heck, until this decade Porsche sold fewer cars TOTAL in North America most years than Corvette.

Don't compare it to doing an LS1/LS3 rebuild, but rather think along the lines of a good LS7 rebuild/replace. I've seen multiple of those done by friends, and most of them were closer to $20K when it was all done. Sure you can go cheap on the rebuild or find a junkyard motor, but if you like your car why would you do that?

It was the same thing back in the late 90s when I went through a couple of 944 Turbos, the cost of repairs easily was more than the cost of the car. One car I bought for $5K, and promptly put $15K into in 12 months (and that was without blowing the engine). Another one I sold to my mechanic when the engine let go because it would have cost significantly more than what I paid for the car to replace it.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
I always felt the cayman was just a luxury S2000 with a little more power. I basically traded my S for the vette.

Just my 2 cents.
I had an S2000 as well, it was a great handling well balanced car with a lot of aftermarket potential.

The Boxster was just like the S2000 but with more power and torque, upgraded brakes, 19" wheels, adjustable suspension, aftermarket radio, heated and ventilated seats dynamic cornering xeon headlights, hill assist (no roll back), roomier interior and an a second large trunk (frunk).

The s2000's smooth shifter can't be beat though.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by leemann2@yahoo.com

I wouldn't reccomend one of those generation Caymans. My friend had a 2006 Cayman S with 65ish thousand miles and the engine ate itself. It started running rough on a road trip. He checked the oil and there was what looked like gold dust in the oil (presumably bearing material). Engine was shot. Apparently there are a number of design flaws in this engine and if they show up it's toast.

The worst part is the cost to repair. Engine rebuilds start at 10 grand and that was just a rebuild, we pulled and reinstalled the engine ourselves. Add another 2 grand at least to have a shop do that.

You can get a used engine for a little less but it will have all the same potential issues as the original engine. The rebuild does solve a lot of issues.

When it runs it is a great driving car but the cost of repairs is just too much in my opinion. It really hurts having to put 10+Gs into a car that's only worth about 20-25G. If you must have one I would make sure I could pay cash and be aware that the they can be very expensive to fix if engine issues pop up.

My opinion on these cars is that they are built to survive the warranty period and after that it's a crap shoot. This may be the case with a lot of cars but major out of warranty repairs are a killer and most cars aren't known to eat very expensive engines like these do either. If you are planning on buying one do some research and spend some time reading the Cayman/Boxter forums and make sure you know what you are getting into.
MY GOSH !!! I hope theres something keeping this thing from sliding forward !!! The angle its at is challenging the laws of physics.....esp. when one starts moving heavy parts around inside the motor compartment.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

You know this only applies to engines from around 2007 and older? All these issues because Porsche didn't design left and right heads so the cams would be driven from the same side of the engine. UGHH
Originally Posted by JCamaro
Yes I do. I read up on the boxster/Cayman extensively. Where I live there aren't alot of porsches or corvettes for that matter. So selection isn't what it would be in a US city per say.
Porsche reportedly strengthened the IMS bearing a few times between 06-08, but they didn't completely redesign it out of the engines of Boxster Caymans and 911s until the 9A1 engine with DFI and VarioCam plus came out in 2009. This engine is basically bullet proof and the reason 09 and up models hold their value so well. If you can swing an 09-16 I'd highly recommend it. If you can only afford an earlier model, I'd buy through Carmax and get their extended warranty for peace of mind. Actually, if there isn't much selection in your city, might be a good idea to go through Carmax regardless of what year you can buy as these cars are more plentiful and cheap out on the west coast and they ship anywhere in the country.

9A1Engine oil sump test: (A cool video where you can hear this engine sing).

Last edited by CloudLS9; 09-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM
leemann2@yahoo.com
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by windyC6
MY GOSH !!! I hope theres something keeping this thing from sliding forward !!! The angle its at is challenging the laws of physics.....esp. when one starts moving heavy parts around inside the motor compartment.
It was actually very stable and solid despite how it looks in the pic. Also the way the engine/trans goes in there was no jerking the body around or anything like that. It was definitely challenging to do without a lift though. Took about 2 days to remove and 2 days to replace(about 2 months apart). There was a lot of time spent figuring out how to do things so we could probably do it again in about half the time. He did sell it not too long after the rebuild. He was pretty much done with the car after that ordeal.

Get notified of new replies

To Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
Thanks for the reply, this car will not be tracked, neither is my current car. I am thinking of registering on a porsche forum, thanks for the idea

It is not a daily, but it is still a pain in the ***. I remember the good ole days when she was just bolt ons with a stock clutch. I was actually thinking of selling it and getting a low miles c6 z51. Basically starting over lol

Thank you for this response. I have indeed read up on the IMS issue but learned that it is actually rare. The car i guess felt smoother than my car. Less road noise and bumps, it had a tighter steering wheel than my vette too, so does my beamer. The vette can take a turn though i will tell you that, it just "feels" better in the porsche and bmw. Part of the reason i started to consider the porsche cayman s too is that what i was led to believe about porsche maintenance and parts are false. In fact a lot of the parts, for the cayman s at least, are alot cheaper than my vette parts. Mind you i only looked at clutch costs, brakes, etc compared to my vette. I will say though after driving that car i almost want to consolidate my vehicles into just owning the porsche. I could drive it every day and beat it up on the weekends. My heads cam mint conditioned vette gets a lot of attention and its beautiful, but at the end of the day do i enjoy the actually driving it, so so.
I've owned several Porsche cars, (capital P) BC (before Corvette) and they are wonderful cars that compared to the C5 are a different driving experience... Not better not worse, just different.... each has its place in racing competition, cruising, long dista nce cruising, fun factor, and dollar value. Like Corvette, Porsche has its favored model years, favored performance goodies.... All good, just different.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
Thanks for the input. I plan to add a sound insulation kit, I'll look in to the partition as well.

I usually drive with the exhaust valves open and radio up as the exhaust drone masks the other noises that bug me. Today, on the ride home I shut if off for a bit to listen to some of the other sounds. There is a lot of wind noise over the roof that I wonder if a new headliner could help with. Also, the run flat tires make a bit of noise but I'm not comfortable without a spare so hopefully the insulation kit and partition helps with that.
It is amazing how much more you will like the car with right set of non-runflats. I've taken the runflats off the vette and my Cadillac ATS. A spare is only needed in the event of a big blow-out.

I drove a boxster before buying the vette. Car handled like it was on rails; just wished it had more power.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
I had an S2000 as well, it was a great handling well balanced car with a lot of aftermarket potential.

The Boxster was just like the S2000 but with more power and torque, upgraded brakes, 19" wheels, adjustable suspension, aftermarket radio, heated and ventilated seats dynamic cornering xeon headlights, hill assist (no roll back), roomier interior and an a second large trunk (frunk).

The s2000's smooth shifter can't be beat though.
Oh yeah. Rode in my friends (porsche fanatic) Panamera. GREAT interior, great power, everything was... german-ly precise, neat, and well placed.

Still an ugly car tho.

The cayman, in my opinion, is the best looking porsche of this decade. I'd bet if they threw in the GT3RS engine in there, it'd outsell the 911.

Also, it'd lose nothing to the corvette in terms of power, and probably outhandle it with wide/sticky enough tires because of its MR setup.

Quick Reply: Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?