C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Glare w/ Top Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Dash Glare w/ Top Down

When I have the top down I get a significant glare from the sun on my dash to where I can not read the DIC or see the radio.

Sometimes the lighting on the dash changes and the DIC gets brighter but not always. Is there a setting somewhere that can be adjusted. I presume it has something to do with the auto headlights. Maybe the sensor is bad?

For the radio I have the AVIC NEX7200. Glare is even worse on that. How do you guys deal with that? My Iphone I can see it in any light. Maybe I need a stereo upgrade.

Any suggestions for either are appreciated.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Do you use a dressing on your dash like Armorall?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

I don't. Previous owner may have. I use a soapy damp rag and microfiber cloth to dry when it get to where the duster won't get it.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

In a convertible you need a head unit that has a capacitive touch screen to overcome the typical glare. Alternatively, there are screens you can add to some head units that block glare, or you can try tinting the screen. As far as the DIC goes, you might have a bad light sensor that is failing to increase the brightness during the day. I never have a problem seeing mine.
The following users liked this post:
jmeirhofer (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:30 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Thanks Ed. I was thinking the sensor could be the issue but was secretly hoping it was a setting I just had not figured out yet.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:23 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
When I have the top down I get a significant glare from the sun on my dash to where I can not read the DIC or see the radio.

Sometimes the lighting on the dash changes and the DIC gets brighter but not always. Is there a setting somewhere that can be adjusted. I presume it has something to do with the auto headlights. Maybe the sensor is bad?

For the radio I have the AVIC NEX7200. Glare is even worse on that. How do you guys deal with that? My Iphone I can see it in any light. Maybe I need a stereo upgrade.

Any suggestions for either are appreciated.
I have a coupe and have dash glare problems with the top on. I don't have any problem reading the HUD, but the glare was definitely there and bothersome today! Might have to check into tinting the windshield. I have never cared for the idea of having one of those carpeted dash covers.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 AM
331stroker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glare

I had the same problem. My solution; I put a dash mat on the dash. No more glare...
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 331stroker
I had the same problem. My solution; I put a dash mat on the dash. No more glare...
The OP isn't talking about glare on the windshield. He specifically indicated he was referring to the DIC and his radio. Did you read the thread?
The following users liked this post:
jmeirhofer (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 AM
331stroker
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glare

Yes I did read his question, and yes I will admit that my response might have not corrected his issue. I live in Arizona, so when my "top" is down I have the same problem as the OP does. There is only one solution to the problem, keep the top up! Adjusting the day or nite features on my Bose system does not change its ability to overcome the bright light of the sun. And for me the only time I need to look at fuel mileage or tire pressure is when I'm at the gas station and I reset my fuel mileage, or after I adjust the pressure in my tires at home in my garage. I was trying too be nice and not say, "the answer to the question should be obvious."
Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Like Ed Said; Nothing wrong with seeing the HUD display. It is the DIC and Radio, mostly with the top down. It is especially annoying if you are trying to use the Nav. Since posting this I have noticed that my DIC no longer changes brightness at all, even in direct sunlight. I am going to assume that the sensor in the dash has given up and replace it first. Been meaning to remove the center speaker anyway. That may help enough to make a difference. I honestly do not remember if the radio brightness is affected by it. If that does not cure the radio visibility, I may look for an alternative to the Pioneer I have.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
Like Ed Said; Nothing wrong with seeing the HUD display. It is the DIC and Radio, mostly with the top down. It is especially annoying if you are trying to use the Nav. Since posting this I have noticed that my DIC no longer changes brightness at all, even in direct sunlight. I am going to assume that the sensor in the dash has given up and replace it first. Been meaning to remove the center speaker anyway. That may help enough to make a difference. I honestly do not remember if the radio brightness is affected by it. If that does not cure the radio visibility, I may look for an alternative to the Pioneer I have.
It should affect the radio as well. It's tied to the sensor.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet but..polarized sunglasses. The dash glare is horrible in these cars to begin with - sun glasses are an eye saver.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:59 PM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ohshift
Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet but..polarized sunglasses. The dash glare is horrible in these cars to begin with - sun glasses are an eye saver.
I can't even drive mine with the top on without polarized sunglasses! You can also get an anti-glare screen cover for your radio/nav unit.

Last edited by HMannini; 10-02-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Thanks. I never thought of wearing sunglasses, especially polarized. Especially with the top down. LMBO

Thanks Ed. That is encouraging to know. Hopefully the new sensor clears up the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Glare w/ Top Down

Quick Reply: Dash Glare w/ Top Down