C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on upgrading suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 PM
ojand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on upgrading suspension

does anyone know what I can upgrade to? im looking to track the car in the future and looking for a better stiffer suspension. mine right now is non z51 (stock suspension)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

How many track days do you have under your belt and what is your budget?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You could put Z06 sway bars on...coil over shocks. That would tighten it up quite a bit and put a dent in your wallet.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:15 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

http://pfadtracing.com/Pfadt_categor...uspension.html

http://pfadtracing.com/products_corvette_swaybars.html
Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

As stated in the first reply, "how many track days do you have under your belt"?

If you are just getting started, you may want to learn how the car handles with the bone stock suspension. Trust me it can handle a lot more then you can give it at first. If you have experience, then try Van Steel http://www.vansteel.com/
Old 10-01-2017, 02:39 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

Starting hpde with a base C6...

There is a good sticky, maybe in the C5 suctioning, outlining the steps someone took for their hpde efforts with lots of suggestions for beginners to advanced.

One of the biggest contributors to traction is tires. If you have OEM tires for The base cars, you'll want something that sticks better but remain on street tires. Track tires hide too many mistakes and only make those mistakes noticible at higher speeds making recovery more difficult. I suggest Michelin PSS's. It's a non RF tire, but has good track manners and long tread life.

A minor suspension upgrade over stock is afe's HOC package - shocks and sway bars..

Suspension alignment - past street tires for track use.

Change the brake fluid to a dot 4 high performance. I've been using motul 600.

Be sure to check the brake hoses for softness and not be concerned with changing to Stainless braided lines yet.

Have at least 50% brake pad. If any doubt, replace with stock pads for novice use.

Make sure you install a quart of oil, you'll overkill the crankcase, it won't hurt the motor, and will help keep oil pressure in the motor during sweeping turns. Staying on street tires will also help.

Take a torque wrench and check those lug nuts frequently,
and take a good tire gauge. You'll have to bleed off air as the heat builds in the tires, then you'll have to add air for the ride home.

I would look at a catch can too, but that seems more of a personal choice for the debates. Personally I use Elite Eengineering catch cans.

This will get you started and enough to get you through the novice and low intermediate run groups.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeCsix:
HOXXOH (10-01-2017), TomdaToolman (10-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 02:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Starting hpde with a base C6...

There is a good sticky, maybe in the C5 suctioning, outlining the steps someone took for their hpde efforts with lots of suggestions for beginners to advanced.

One of the biggest contributors to traction is tires. If you have OEM tires for The base cars, you'll want something that sticks better but remain on street tires. Track tires hide too many mistakes and only make those mistakes noticible at higher speeds making recovery more difficult. I suggest Michelin PSS's. It's a non RF tire, but has good track manners and long tread life.

A minor suspension upgrade over stock is afe's HOC package - shocks and sway bars..

Suspension alignment - past street tires for track use.

Change the brake fluid to a dot 4 high performance. I've been using motul 600.

Be sure to check the brake hoses for softness and not be concerned with changing to Stainless braided lines yet.

Have at least 50% brake pad. If any doubt, replace with stock pads for novice use.

Make sure you install a quart of oil, you'll overkill the crankcase, it won't hurt the motor, and will help keep oil pressure in the motor during sweeping turns. Staying on street tires will also help.

Take a torque wrench and check those lug nuts frequently,
and take a good tire gauge. You'll have to bleed off air as the heat builds in the tires, then you'll have to add air for the ride home.

I would look at a catch can too, but that seems more of a personal choice for the debates. Personally I use Elite Eengineering catch cans.

This will get you started and enough to get you through the novice and low intermediate run groups.
That's a lot of really good info/advice for a novice. Hopefully they accept it rather than learn the hard way.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice on upgrading suspension

Quick Reply: need advice on upgrading suspension