C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have Two 17 Year Old Boys in my House Am I Going to Get Killed on Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:15 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
I think it's clear there is no "straight scoop" since we are all showing how different states and insurance companies operate in this regard. Only way for the OP to know for sure is to go talk to the insurance agent and see what they say.
57 posts for someone to state the obvious......
Old 10-07-2017, 08:31 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

Any tricks to lessen the pain?
Like the 3rd post, have them pay their own freight.

Parents are mollycoddling ridiculous, you should let the kids
work their own way in this world, you are doing them no favors.
They might choose to bike instead.
My parents never gave me anything, $100 Schwinn Varsity paid by my paper route, drum lessons, I had to pay half. I Understood how money works.
One Year, I was #1 in Central New Jersey Snare Drummer.

Because I PAID FOR IT, and worked hard. Maybe because I was paying?
Got a loan for a drumset from the Old Man, paid it off at $ 2 a week.
Old Man snarled "It's not a gift." I know I replied, and paid it off.
I have to hand it to my parents about these things!!

They never paid a cent for my Insurance or any car repair, I paid myself.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
If you can't see it something is wrong
Are you talking about the part that says Residence Address? If that is the case that means NOTHING. The part where it says your mailing address will be printed on your N.Y.S photo documents is the one that counts. That's what gets registered with the DMV. That's what's on your driver license.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Are you talking about the part that says Residence Address? If that is the case that means NOTHING. The part where it says your mailing address will be printed on your N.Y.S photo documents is the one that counts. That's what gets registered with the DMV. That's what's on your driver license.
I don't know who you are, but with every post, you seem more troll-like.

If you choose to commit fraud, that's on you, but what you are proposing others do is in fact, fraud.

I'm done on this particular point.

Best wishes and win the lottery to the OP. College costs make insurance costs pale in comparison. And as others have said, the only way to see your best options regarding your boys and insurance, once they become licensed, is to shop around and ask.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6

If you choose to commit fraud, that's on you, but what you are proposing others do is in fact, fraud.
I work for the DMV! So shut up and listen to what I'm telling you.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

The op asked for any tricks to lessen the pain. Consider me David Copperfield and he just got the ultimate illusion trick.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I work for the DMV! So shut up and listen to what I'm telling you.
Well that settles it beings you're an expert!!! Lol
Old 10-08-2017, 11:46 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

I'm done on this particular point.
I did a little investigating and found this-

https://www.carinsurance101.com/can-...car-insurance/

There's a lot of info out there but from everything I can read it is a type of fraud. And it seems like this guy is a troll at the very least. Unfortunately with the price of early-year entry level C6's dropping we are being infected with more and more of his (this) type, millennial know-it-alls who THINK they have life and the world figured out and can BS their way out of anything. Now all of a sudden he conveniently "works for the DMV", LOL, next he'll be working for the District Attorney's office! Have a nice day...
Old 10-08-2017, 11:55 AM
WKM
Racer

Maybe he will explain next how to do tax returns
Old 10-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobLo
I did a little investigating and found this-

https://www.carinsurance101.com/can-...car-insurance/

There's a lot of info out there but from everything I can read it is a type of fraud. And it seems like this guy is a troll at the very least. Unfortunately with the price of early-year entry level C6's dropping we are being infected with more and more of his (this) type, millennial know-it-alls who THINK they have life and the world figured out and can BS their way out of anything. Now all of a sudden he conveniently "works for the DMV", LOL, next he'll be working for the District Attorney's office! Have a nice day...
Hey the op asked for a trick, I gave it to him, and now your going to question where I work? Give whatever address you want on your license, nobody cares. And as far as your idiotic article you posted that's just what it is, yea the ins company has investigators trailing 17 year old kids to see where they live. Oooh..I'm so scared I better put my correct address on my drivers license or the insurance boogey man will come and get me. Give me a break! I have been doing this with friends, relatives for over 20 years, nobody can ever tell you where to live or don't live. I have changed my drivers license address 5 times in the last four years. Whenever my son buys or sells a new business and if the rates are cheaper where he is than that's where my drivers license is and my car is registered. All it takes is a click of the mouse on your DMV's online account.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 10-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:56 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
You can exclude drivers in almost every state. Whether or not the kids can be trusted is Dad's concern.

For some reason when I read this the first thing I think about is the movie Risky Business

"Joel my car will be fine, YOU are not on the insurance on My vehicle . Take your Moms if you need to go any where"

"Who is the U boat Captain "
Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Hey the op asked for a trick, I gave it to him, and now your going to question where I work? Give whatever address you want on your license, nobody cares. And as far as your idiotic article you posted that's just what it is, yea the ins company has investigators trailing 17 year old kids to see where they live. Oooh..I'm so scared I better put my correct address on my drivers license or the insurance boogey man will come and get me. Give me a break! I have been doing this with friends, relatives for over 20 years, nobody can ever tell you where to live or don't live. I have changed my drivers license address 5 times in the last four years. Whenever my son buys or sells a new business and if the rates are cheaper where he is than that's where my drivers license is and my car is registered. All it takes is a click of the mouse on your DMV's online account.
Your Forum profile shows you to be 35 years old, birth date Oct. 16, 1981 but you have a son who buys and sells new businesses? It gets better and better...early Happy Birthday by the way, LOL!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobLo
Your Forum profile shows you to be 35 years old, birth date Oct. 16, 1981 but you have a son who buys and sells new businesses? It gets better and better...early Happy Birthday by the way, LOL!
Oh and BTW every body puts their correct info on their personal profile. (lol) Long Island N.Y now that explains your gullibility. You should hang out with my sister in West Islip.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 10-08-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:58 PM
WKM
Racer

Oh and BTW every body puts their correct info on their personal profile. (lol) Long Island N.Y now that explains your gullibility. You should hang out with my sister in West Islip.
So you've lied about that too, man you're an honest dude.

Last edited by WKM; 10-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:03 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You can designate which cars the boys have permission to drive and which ones they don't. Your rates will only change for the ones they drive. If you don't already have a PLUP, get one now. Not very pricey and can save your butt in a catastrophe.
That will NOT work with State Farm in Tennessee!

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 10-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

No it's not, it's the ins co concern. They are the ones who pay. Just the fact that the kids have access to the cars is what concerns the ins company. They cannot babysit who drives what car and when so they charge you for having "irresponsible and inexperienced" drivers under your roof.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about!!!!! You can exclude them as drivers of the vette! If they did drive the car with or without consent of the owner, and had an accident, the insurance company would have no liability!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SnakeQ
You obviously don't know what you are talking about!!!!! You can exclude them as drivers of the vette! If they did drive the car with or without consent of the owner, and had an accident, the insurance company would have no liability!!!
LOL That kid takes a car from the household and hits somebody and hurts them you can rest assured whether he is on the policy or not and that car is insured they are PAYING. What are you going to tell the person you hit, "my son didn't have permission to drive this car so my ins company is not paying" lol lol lol lol

Last edited by Oh Boy; 10-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I Have Two 17 Year Old Boys in my House Am I Going to Get Killed on Insurance?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL That kid takes a car from the household and hits somebody and hurts them you can rest assured whether he is on the policy or not and that car is insured they are PAYING. What are you going to tell the person you hit, "my son didn't have permission to drive this car so my ins company is not paying" lol lol lol lol
If the daughter somehow took one of our cars without asking and got into trouble with it, I'm positive the insurance company would not pay one penny because she was excluded from the policy.

*I*, on the other hand would likely be sued and pay the injured party as much as I possibly could!

The whole point of excluding her was to keep our rates down. It was my and my wife's responsibility to keep the keys away from her. Since that's what happened, we saved a ton of money.

SnakeQ is right - the insurance company specifically has no liability due to the exclusion. I end up with *all* the liability. I'm the one who pays, not the insurance company.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You could do what my parents did to me, make them get their own polices and pay for it themselves.
Thats what I did. Never felt the pain.

Clif
Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM
WKM
Racer

Would that enable them to drive your car? If not you're back to square one if they were to wreck

Quick Reply: I Have Two 17 Year Old Boys in my House Am I Going to Get Killed on Insurance?