C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Techron Ratio

First of all, I'm probably over-thinking the issue and being ****. Getting ready for a trip and thought it would be a good time to clean the fuel system with Techron. The car is a 2012 w/less than 10k miles. One large bottle of Techron (which is what I have) treats up to 20 gal. With the Vette having 2 tanks, so not sure which tank it will end up in and what tank runs 1st, I am hesitant to put the entire bottle in just 10 gal. So, it seems I have 2 options: 1. Pour the whole bottle in and let it mix with 10 gal. Then run the tank down to reserve to make sure I use the 10 gal. with Techron 2. Pour half the bottle in - going into one tank. Run the tank down to reserve and repeat the procedure. If I put the whole bottle in just 10 gal, I'm thinking no adverse effects. I'm sure someone will come up with the idea of buying a small bottle and then just dump it in and go with it.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (01-16-2018)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Over thinking...probably, I just get down to less than a quarter tank & add the entire bottle of Techron & filler up & drive away, have had zero problems, I think it also helps to use Top Tier whenever possible helps keep things clean..
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 AM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I've thrown two 20 gallon treatment bottles in together, no problems just wait till your about a 1/4 tank or under.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I try to use Chevron gas whenever possible.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
Over thinking...probably, I just get down to less than a quarter tank & add the entire bottle of Techron & filler up & drive away, have had zero problems, I think it also helps to use Top Tier whenever possible helps keep things clean..
I'd say this is the way to go. Chevron knows there are saddle tank cars like the Corvette. Just run the tank down, pour it in, fill it up and go.

Note: it used to be said that most of these pour-in treatments worked best when one did relatively short trips. I don't recall the exact reason but I thought it had to do with the fluid sinking into build-ups in an operating temp engine when turned off and then being burned off better on restart. Talk about thinking too much on the matter!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by demon340
I've thrown two 20 gallon treatment bottles in together, no problems just wait till your about a 1/4 tank or under.
That's too much, and if done too often, can result in more harm than good.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:45 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Two bottles too much, and you don't want to overdo Techron in super doses. There is no upside to it. Techron is an aggressive compound undiluted or in higher concentrations.

The best way to use techron is to fuel at a Chevron station as regularly as you can and just leave the bottles of Techron on the shelf.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
I try to use Chevron gas whenever possible.
I too and it is 99% of the time.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 140 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ystem-389.html

If I understand the operation of the fuel system correctly, it recirculates gas from the tanks into each other (via the venturi in the left tank), so it should get mixed on it's own from the recirculation. But if your worried about it, add half a bottle, fill the car to 1/2 or 3/4 full and then add the other half, and then finish filling.

I've noticed that Techron has a tendency to thin out the oil, I suspect it may wash past the rings and get into the crankcase. So I always try to schedule it with an oil change cycle, so I add the Techron and then after it has all run through I change out the oil.

Oh, and by the way, Texaco got bought out by Chevron, and they now add it to their gas as well.

Last edited by CSixDude; 10-06-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:05 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Techron is great stuff and I keep a bottle around for whenever I can't fill up at a Chevron/Texaco station. I'll also use Shell, Techron by itself will also build up in the system so it helps to use a couple of different fuels.

If adding Techron, I like to do it just before an oil change and run the engine to redline a couple of times to beat the carbon off the backs of the valves - then change the oil.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude

Oh, and by the way, Texaco got bought out by Chevron, and they now add it to their gas as well.
All Texaco gas pumps show Techron in the gas.

All the worry about ratios may be a bit **** though....

Last edited by cclive; 10-06-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

If I understand the operation of the fuel system correctly, it recirculates gas from the tanks into each other (via the venturi in the left tank), so it should get mixed on it's own from the recirculation. ...
You do. Whenever the fuel pump in the bottom of the left tank is running a large amount of fuel is constantly being pulled from the bottom of the right tank and sent over to the left tank where, if the left tank is full, it overflows back to the top of the right tank.

I would make sure the gauge read more than half a tank (left tank full), pour in the additive which would never be needed if you used Top Tier gas as recommended by GM, and then top off the tank. The reason I would have half a tank before putting the additive in is to make sure it isn't just sitting on the bottom of the left tank and sucked up undiluted to the engine when the car is first started. If the left tank is full, depending on density, it would get diluted before falling to the fuel pump on the bottom or it might go directly through the overflow to the right tank first. As I have just clearly demonstrated, it never hurts to over-think a simple issue.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Techron added periodically can prevent the sulfation that builds up on the sending units in the tank, and prevent failure of them. Since it's such a task to pull the tanks in this car to replace a faulty sending unit, it's worth the time and money to add a bottle once or twice a year, even if you run a top tier fuel. This E10 gas used now causes all kinds of problems due to the way it holds water in suspension, making it corrosive, so anything you can do to extend the life of your fuel system components is worthwhile in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:30 AM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I also use sta bil marine formula fuel stabilizer on most fill ups to help with the effects of alcohol in gas.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:35 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sea foam works better.
Topdown12 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by demon340
I also use sta bil marine formula fuel stabilizer on most fill ups to help with the effects of alcohol in gas.
What "effects" would that be?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,497 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by johnathon59
over thinking...probably, i just get down to less than a quarter tank & add the entire bottle of techron & filler up & drive away, have had zero problems, i think it also helps to use top tier whenever possible helps keep things clean..
+ 1

Get notified of new replies

To Techron Ratio

Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruze
What "effects" would that be?
E10 gas absorbs moisture out of the air and holds it in suspension. As a result, the gas now becomes corrosive to anything metal it comes in contact with. This causes all kinds of fuel system issues, and there really isn't anything you can do to get the moisture out once the E10 has drawn it in. I think the stabil products try to counteract the corrosive nature of the water mixture in the gas, but I don't know how effective it is. E10 gas also goes stale much faster than regular gas, and this is really what stabil tries to protect against. The best protection against E10 is not to let it sit in your tank for long periods, and just keep it flowing and keep it fresh. That's about the best you can hope for in this day and age. E10 is a scurge on the public, and the biggest hoax ever played on the American public. Thank the farm lobby for it.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

E10 gas absorbs moisture out of the air and holds it in suspension. As a result, the gas now becomes corrosive to anything metal it comes in contact with. This causes all kinds of fuel system issues, and there really isn't anything you can do to get the moisture out once the E10 has drawn it in. I think the stabil products try to counteract the corrosive nature of the water mixture in the gas, but I don't know how effective it is. E10 gas also goes stale much faster than regular gas, and this is really what stabil tries to protect against. The best protection against E10 is not to let it sit in your tank for long periods, and just keep it flowing and keep it fresh. That's about the best you can hope for in this day and age. E10 is a scurge on the public, and the biggest hoax ever played on the American public. Thank the farm lobby for it.
The biggest problem with ethanol is its effects on old rubber and plastic components, in vehicles made 20+ years ago before it was added to gas.

Aside from all that, I wouldn't blame the farm lobby. The problem is government. They are the ones pushing it by subsidizing it.

NOTE: In modern America, the reason for anything that goes wrong is always with corporations, CEOs, capitalism, free enterprise, and "too much liberty" -- it is never the fault of government.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruze
The biggest problem with ethanol is its effects on old rubber and plastic components, in vehicles made 20+ years ago before it was added to gas.
Actually that is only one of many problems of Ethanol.

It is corrosive to metal when it absorbs water.
It is hygroscopic.
It phase separates.
It has about a 3 week lifespan before it goes stale.
It burns hotter.
And yes, it is hard on plastic and rubber components.

Quick Reply: Techron Ratio