C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding NPP Option

Old 10-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding NPP Option

I'm looking to buy a 2013 C6 Grand Sport. One of my "must haves" while looking for the car is the NPP Exhaust Option. The car I'm looking at has all of my other "must haves" but this one.

I was wondering if the hardware for NPP is available in kit form and be installed on an existing car.

If so, is it a bolt on? How much wiring or vacuum line installation is required?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I would not let the lack of the NPP option stop you. I had the same choice, I bought the car. Glad I did...

Much discussion here about NPP, often can be had here used...
Not too difficult - just vacuum hose to activate actuators (and electrical valve to open/close).
Serch is your friend
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=66763087

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
I'm looking to buy a 2013 C6 Grand Sport. One of my "must haves" while looking for the car is the NPP Exhaust Option. The car I'm looking at has all of my other "must haves" but this one.

I was wondering if the hardware for NPP is available in kit form and be installed on an existing car.

If so, is it a bolt on? How much wiring or vacuum line installation is required?

Last edited by Chiselchst; 10-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaydubgt (10-11-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt

I spoke to Chuck Cow about doing this (super nice guy BTW) and it can for sure be done but I think it's close to 2K maybe more.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
I spoke to Chuck Cow about doing this (super nice guy BTW) and it can for sure be done but I think it's close to 2K maybe more.
You can usually find the exhaust used on here for <400. Then I believe all you have to do is add NPP in box. You could always go with an aftermarket NPP system, I believe those can be had for <1500.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

NPP in a box is right at about $200 but the NPP mufflers go from $400 to maybe $600 but just makes sure you get the right size for your car. If you have a Z06 make sure you get the Z06 mufflers. If you have a base/GS make sure you get the base/GS mufflers. Make sure you get the right years also. Base 05-08 same routing mid-pipe, Base/GS 09-13 same routing mid-pipe both those years is 2.5" at the connection from mid-pipe to muffler. The Z06/ZR1 is 3" at the connections from mid-pipe to muffler.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Two K ...... what are u smoking lol lol

bought my mufflers for 500.00 and my NPP in a box for 180.00 , 50 bucks at a local muffler shop to hang the mufflers and i installed the NPP

best of both worlds , loud when you want and quiet when it has to be

Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 12:17 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default NPPz............

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Two K ...... what are u smoking lol lol

bought my mufflers for 500.00 and my NPP in a box for 180.00 , 50 bucks at a local muffler shop to hang the mufflers and i installed the NPP

best of both worlds , loud when you want and quiet when it has to be

Dave
NPPz............ Start to finish, mufflers, shipping, NPP controller, installed..... (by a real registered shop that

charges labor and carries insurance ) will often be somewhere in the "teens" for a complete job start to finish.

Price always depends on what condition the mufflers are in and where they come from.

Not all years fit all cars.... The mufflers you get on e-bay..... May (or may not) match your x-pipe even if they are 2.5 inches

just because your originals are 2.5. With most installations we do, we also provide an x-pipe that matches, as it does not much of the time.

Many people bring us 3" ZO6 mufflers.... But they don't fit the automatic cars and even if it's a stick....they won't

match your x-pipe. Often, we provide a FULL 3" C6 ZO6 exhaust from the manifolds to the muffler tips....with a controller.....

Please people, before you trash someone's business, price, or products..... Please know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Most time we explain that a "from scratch" NPP install is usually about the price of a new BORLA STINGER install... Only

you can turn the sound on and off with NPPs.

Chuck CoW
Old 10-07-2017, 07:17 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I completely agree with you NOT considering ANY Vette without NPP

I have it on mine and would NEVER even look at another Vette without it, yes it can be added but gonna cost you a lot more money
Chuck CoW (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
NPPz............ Start to finish, mufflers, shipping, NPP controller, installed..... (by a real registered shop that

charges labor and carries insurance ) will often be somewhere in the "teens" for a complete job start to finish.

Price always depends on what condition the mufflers are in and where they come from.

Not all years fit all cars.... The mufflers you get on e-bay..... May (or may not) match your x-pipe even if they are 2.5 inches

just because your originals are 2.5. With most installations we do, we also provide an x-pipe that matches, as it does not much of the time.

Many people bring us 3" ZO6 mufflers.... But they don't fit the automatic cars and even if it's a stick....they won't

match your x-pipe. Often, we provide a FULL 3" C6 ZO6 exhaust from the manifolds to the muffler tips....with a controller.....

Please people, before you trash someone's business, price, or products..... Please know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Most time we explain that a "from scratch" NPP install is usually about the price of a new BORLA STINGER install... Only

you can turn the sound on and off with NPPs.

Chuck CoW
Chuck, the post was never meant to trash your business ...I am probably one of the few people that stick up for you ,all the time , there is a right way and a wrong way to correct my assumptions and once again you took the wrong way as always ......you would think as a business professional you would have learned that by now.....

it was assumed that the guy is buying a car without NPP and he wanted to add just NPP ....

one would assume again that the OP or you in this case would buy the correct set of mufflers that do not need a new X PIpe or bending to go around the transmisson.........

So with all that said, Yes $2,0000 is a crazy amount of money to spend to purchase and hang a set of axle back mufflers and add a NPP in a box .......
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-07-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I gave $400 for my NPP mufflers and a little over $200 including shipping for my NPP In a Box. I did have to drive from St. Louis to Indianapolis to pick the mufflers up so it cost me about $50 in gas and a day of driving. If you are even a little mechanically inclined it is pretty easy to remove the mufflers and install the NPPs. It took me between 2 and 3 hours to install the NPP In a Box; I took my time. I did get the adapter that allows you to tee off the MAP sensor rather than fight trying to tap into the vacuum port on the back of the intake.

Last edited by BadAV; 10-07-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Assuming.....

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Chuck, the post was never meant to trash your business ...I am probably one of the few people that stick up for you ,all the time , there is a right way and a wrong way to correct my assumptions and once again you took the wrong way as always ......you would think as a business professional you would have learned that by now.....

it was assumed that the guy is buying a car without NPP and he wanted to add just NPP ....

one would assume again that the OP or you in this case would buy the correct set of mufflers that do not need a new X PIpe or bending to go around the transmisson.........

So with all that said, Yes $2,0000 is a crazy amount of money to spend to purchase and hang a set of axle back mufflers and add a NPP in a box .......
Dave

Dave.... Assuming you get the RIGHT MUFFLERS, AT THE RIGHT PRICE, INSTALL YOURSELF, and PAY NO SHIPPING.....

AND have no complications.... Sure, you can score an NPP job under a grand....... Most people should be sooo lucky.

While you might not have intended to trash my business, but your comment.....

Dave
.... directed at a customer I quoted in this thread....You can see how I might be put out as you're implying I'm way out of line.....

Yes, at HOME DO-IT-YOUR-SELF NPP installs can be under $1,000. I've seen a few.

If you're going to "tell the shop you want NPPs." and let them locate them, be sure they fit the car....provide an x-pipe that matches,

(good clean NPPs of the right year and size are often tricky to find and 3" don't fit most cars (with more mods), install them, install the

conversion box.....etc... All the while, like any REAL shop..... Provide the labor and misc parts.....

Don't expect the final cost to be same as you would pay if you did it at home with your buddy and a case of beer.

I think it's fair to say that....

No offense taken.
Chuck CoW
Old 10-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
No offense taken.
Chuck CoW
Awesome ... as I did not mean to offend you in any way !

So I guess the "miss" here is that that I assumed ... and the person that made the statement did not state that you were supplying everything

We also don't want to mislead those that might have the skills to do it in the garage with some beer and a friend like I did ....

Dave
Chuck CoW (10-10-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BadAV
I gave $400 for my NPP mufflers and a little over $200 including shipping for my NPP In a Box. I did have to drive from St. Louis to Indianapolis to pick the mufflers up so it cost me about $50 in gas and a day of driving. If you are even a little mechanically inclined it is pretty easy to remove the mufflers and install the NPPs. It took me between 2 and 3 hours to install the NPP In a Box; I took my time. I did get the adapter that allows you to tee off the MAP sensor rather than fight trying to tap into the vacuum port on the back of the intake.
I did the same thing except I did fight that little " TAP on the back "

If I realized how easy it was to just remove the manifold I would have skipped using all those nasty words which resulted in some really bad looks from my wife and getting the nasty cuts on my hands

Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I sold my NPP mufflers off of my 2011 GS with 12,000 miles to a local guy for $350.

He installed them himself on his Base C6 and then paid somewhere around $200 for a 'NPP in a Box'.

So, I guess his total price was aound $550

BTW ... The NPP was a $1,195 option on my GS.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jaybee924

... just makes sure you get the right size for your car:

If you have a Z06 make sure you get the Z06 mufflers

If you have a base/GS make sure you get the base/GS mufflers

Make sure you get the right years also ...
05-08 same routing
09-13 same routing
Good points !
Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I sold my NPP mufflers off of my 2011 GS with 12,000 miles to a local guy for $350.

He installed them himself on his Base C6 and then paid somewhere around $200 for a 'NPP in a Box'.

So, I guess his total price was aound $550

BTW ... The NPP was a $1,195 option on my GS.
yep that's what I paid to install ... but i had to pay shipping on the mufflers and I did not feel like wrestling the pipes in place when the muffler shop only charged me 50 to hang ...

best mod i have done on the car .....

Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I really liked the NPP on my GS ... but

After I installed a set of catted headers, the car was so damned loud when the NPP valves opened up at wide open throttle that I finally replaced the NPP with a set of Borla 'Touring' mufflers ... noise problem solved

The NPP was just fine with the headers during normal driving, but again, it was obnoxiously load at full throttle (valves open).

Get notified of new replies

To Adding NPP Option

Old 10-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The NPP was just fine with the headers during normal driving, but again, it was obnoxiously load at full throttle (valves open).
Is that not the reason for installing NPP in the first place ....

I love the sound with the headers and the gates open ....but when I am tired of it ... I just close them ...
Dave
Old 10-07-2017, 10:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

I am one who add NPP to his 09, was not a big deal, I added the ZR1 exhaust front to back so go for it.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I am one who add NPP to his 09, was not a big deal, I added the ZR1 exhaust front to back so go for it.

No your not. When I got my GS it had the stock exhuast on it. I was looking for a C6 with the NPP. So I didn't look long enough to see what would be required to make that happen if it could so I bought a Corsa extreme exhaust which was great. I knew I was going to go with headers and cam. So it is a great option. I picked up a set of NPP mufflers with muffler mod off here and installed the NPP in a box and never looked back. Sounds good just ready to get the headers (whenever they come in, ordered KooKs from a vendor got the headers but not the catted X-Pipe and Halltech) and cam installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding NPP Option