C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Date of Manufacture?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
GMVIS shows the build date.
That is the date the dealer receives it. It may have sat in the holding area for weeks before the truck picked it up to be transported to the dealer. A car sold new in Hawaii is going to have a VIS date long after when it actually came off the line.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I have a certificate of origin dated 10-30-2007 and the dealer rec'd the car on 10-31-2007. ... GM's system still shows 10-31 for any warranty work
Oops, forgot about the certificate of origin. That is probably the best actual date you can get because it is the date the car was released as "finished".

Originally Posted by roblaura2
... The month and year is close enough for my purpose. ...
As it normally is for everyone but the OCD sufferers like me. This subject used to come up almost weekly many years ago and there are hundreds of posts out there with totally incorrect answers. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in hoping the next person won't go running off tearing their car apart looking for a date that doesn't exist because some posts in the C6 forum where the date can be found on a C2.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
That is the date the dealer receives it. It may have sat in the holding area for weeks before the truck picked it up to be transported to the dealer. A car sold new in Hawaii is going to have a VIS date long after when it actually came off the line.
Wrong. I'm not sure where you're confused, but the "build date" is just that, the date it's built.

Do you really think GM chose to use that term for some random day a car arrives at a dealership, when they could have chosen any other words, or are you just caught up in a mistake and burying yourself?

Last edited by 919cw313; 10-12-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Wrong. I'm not sure where you're confused, but the "build date" is just that, the date it's built.
Where are you finding the "build date"? GMVIS? If so, please explain how my car arrived at the dealer on the same day, yet the C of O is dated the previous day.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Where are you finding the "build date"? GMVIS? If so, please explain how my car arrived at the dealer on the same day, yet the C of O is dated the previous day.
I don't have mine in front of me but it's one of the top two lines on the right side of a gmvis report.
EDIT--Top right side of Vehicle Build Information page thru GMVIS.

Without looking at your VIS I can't answer the other question. A guess would be you're mistaking build date with in-service date.
EDIT--Warranty "effective date", not "in-service" date, or maybe PDI claim date?
Can you post pictures of what you have? I doubt I'm wrong but will admit it if I am. I don't know a lot about MSO's so I can't make an educated comment on that.

Last edited by 919cw313; 10-12-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:06 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

I don't have mine in front of me but it's one of the top two lines on the right side of a gmvis report.
EDIT--Top right side of Vehicle Build Information page thru GMVIS.

Without looking at your VIS I can't answer the other question. A guess would be you're mistaking build date with in-service date.
EDIT--Warranty "effective date", not "in-service" date, or maybe PDI claim date?
attached is the VIS from my 2007 coupe I had prior to my current 427.................. you can see the Vehicle Build Date there

to try and stop confusion here, the vehicle build date is the date provided by GM after the vehicle has completed the manufacturing process.

Vehicle "in service date" is when the first owner / registered party / dealer initiates the vehicle from unsold to being in use.......... typically it also is the warranty start date for the GM systems............

the PDI claim would be paid by GM even if the vehicle is UNSOLD and NOT delivered to the first owner / operator and that claim usually shows up in some manufacturer warrant systems, not all OEM's provide that date................................ PDI is Pre-Delivery Inspection and is paid for by GM to the dealer

also, I attempted to get the information the OP requested but am currently awaiting the system I utilize to provide details, it will give not only vehicle build date, but original delivery date, and dates of any warranty service performed............................... ...........

Last edited by rkj427; 12-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rkj427

to try and stop confusion here, the vehicle build date is the date provided by GM after the vehicle has completed the manufacturing process.

Wow, imagine that...
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, imagine that...

posted what I did and highlighted the text to eliminate any confusion, or questions other members may have had................

not meant for it to be used sarcastically.....................

respect for other's means that it is usually "agreeable to be able to disagree" in a polite way.....................
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rkj427
attached is the VIS from my 2007 coupe I had prior to my current 427.................. you can see the Vehicle Build Date there

Vehicle "in service date" is when the first owner / registered party / dealer initiates the vehicle from unsold to being in use.......... typically it also is the warranty start date for the GM systems............

the PDI claim would be paid by GM even if the vehicle is UNSOLD and NOT delivered to the first owner / operator and that claim usually shows up in some manufacturer warrant systems, not all OEM's provide that date................................ PDI is Pre-Delivery Inspection and is paid for by GM to the dealer

also, I attempted to get the information the OP requested but am currently awaiting the system I utilize to provide details, it will give not only vehicle build date, but original delivery date, and dates of any warranty service performed............................... ...........
OK, so I thought I understood and went to the local dealer this morning. Now I'm more confused than before.

Because the GMVIS report states "GMVIS is not the definitive source of GM vehicle RPO information and is intended for service reference only." How much faith can we expect that the dates are correct?

Case in point: My '08 GMVIS report has a build date of 10-30-2007, yet a PDI also on 10-30-2007, and a warranty effective date of 10-31-2007.

According to the general manager at the dealer today, the dealer forwards the "sold" information to GM, which starts the warranty clock. It's the same as the "in-service" date, except it apparently doesn't mean the customer took delivery. I'm guessing that when a car is delivered to the dealer, some sort of clock starts that means it's money out of the dealer's pocket for each day until it's sold. Since I had sent a deposit with my order, the dealer considered it a sold vehicle.

Now to demonstrate that dates/numbers can be, and are, manipulated, look at the following sheet and keep in mind that my Certificate of Origin is dated 10-30-2007.

At the top of the page is a delivery date. 10-31-2007. That's the same date that the PDI was done in the warranty history with 0 miles showing and the same date as the C of O, that according to the guide on the factory tour last year, doesn't get signed off until it passes final inspection to go out the door. Next, look at the warranty where it shows effective date is 10-31-2007 and 10 miles. The look back up at the history and see that an additional PDI was done on 11-1-2007 at 5 miles. The second page has 2 more "repairs" done on 11-3-2007 and still at 5 miles.

I makes you wonder how, according to the C of O and the GMVIS build sheet (I have but didn't attach) that you could finish the car and still deliver it 7+ hours driving time away the same day, yet the dealer managed to do the PDI before the service dept closed. Possible? Yes. Probable? Hell no.

Even worse is doing a PDI twice and 2 repairs (?) by the 5 mile mark, after claiming the warranty started several days earlier with 10 miles showing.

This all makes me think that my car was used as a demo, because they knew I was on a business trip and couldn't pick it up until 11-8-2007. I'm curious what those RO (repair order) numbers refer to and why the 11-20-2007 warranty claim doesn't show on the repair history.

OK rocketman, stop my confusion.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 10-12-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

OK rocketman, stop my confusion.

Hoxxy, glad you provided your VIN............... will send you PM too
Old 10-13-2017, 09:07 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Do you really think GM chose to use that term for some random day a car arrives at a dealership, when they could have chosen any other words, or are you just caught up in a mistake and burying yourself?
The GMVIS document is for service and indicates the car history for a dealership. The factory is on an entirely different system of scheduling. When a car is ordered the factory assigns a code to that order. The code changes as the order progresses through the plant.
Code Description
1000 Order On Hold at Dealership
1100 Order Placed at Dealership
1101 Order Entered into System
1102 Order Entered via Web
2000 Order Accepted by Chevrolet
2001 Order Generated to Dealer
2005 Order Replaced with Prospec Order
2030 Order Edited by Chevrolet
2050 Order Changed
2500 Order Preferenced (or "Picked Up" or "Imaged")
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control
3100 Order Available to be Sequenced
3300 Order Scheduled for Production
3400 Order Broadcast (Internal Plant Order Produced)
3800 Vehicle Produced
4000 Vehicle Available to Ship
4104 Bailment Invoice Created
4B00 Bayed
4106 Bailment Released
4150 Vehicle Invoiced
4200 Vehicle Shipped
4300 Intermediate Delivery
4V03 Estimated Delivery Date
4800 Rail Ramp Unload
5000 Vehicle at Dealer
6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer
9000 Order Cancelled
The "build date" everyone seems to be looking for is the date the car gets to code 3800 or 4000 (which is usually the dame day but may also be weeks apart due to last minute issues found). The GMVIS date would be when it gets to code 5000 and before code 6000.

Quick Reply: Date of Manufacture?