C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd day car buying blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:48 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Some thoughts about what has been posted so far, given that we don't know if you have an auto or manual, and no idea when the battery was manufactured.

Is sounds like the car battery to me. Even if load testing shows OK, the battery may not be strong enough for a C6. It may be strong enough for a lot of other cars, but the C6 is a special beast. The dash going dark is a big clue for a weak battery. Replace it if your connections are good (bad connections are a big possibility, IMO).

A bad clutch position sensor should give a CEL, not make the dash go black. However, if it is bad, you may be able to put your foot behind the clutch pedal and pull it up as far as possible before depressing it to start.

Good luck, and post back your progress. Believe it or not, once you solve this problem, you will love the car, as the rest of us do.

Last edited by owc6; 10-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:23 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Jerr
Column lock caused similar problems on my 2005 until I bypassed it
Welcome to the Forum. Yes, that's an unfortunately common problem with 05's. But that's the only year with the column lock.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I had the battery load tested and it came up as a good battery I tried charging it overnight and still nothing this is a 6 speed automatic sorry seems like the website was down all day I will try to replace the starter see if its any good does anyone have a how to o I can do it correctly. Any other things I should try before going further
Old 10-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by zrultima
Well I had the battery load tested and it came up as a good battery I tried charging it overnight and still nothing this is a 6 speed automatic sorry seems like the website was down all day I will try to replace the starter see if its any good does anyone have a how to o I can do it correctly. Any other things I should try before going further
Okay great. But before you go out and buy a new starter (which probably isn't your problem),

1) Battery is good. It goes off the list for now.

2) Are both ends of both battery cables in good condition, clean and tight? (we don't know yet). But I do know that ground connections are every bit as important as hot connections and for some reason, are more often at fault, so make sure they are secure.

3) Does the solenoid and its terminal (that the hot battery lower side is hooked to) look normal?

If all checks out good, does it still not crank over? What happens when you push the "Start" button? (The resident electronic geniuses will probably have to take over at this point )
The following users liked this post:
zrultima (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Battery and terminals are nice and clean also the terminals are secured to the battery and the cables are not messed up of frayed. As far as what happens when I try to start as soon as I pressed the button all lights turn off I hear a few clicks and everything stays off for a few seconds. Lights and everything come back on and the car welcomes you and all the accessories stay on AC radio etc
Old 10-07-2017, 10:32 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

My advice, take it to a local dealer and let them check it out.

It might be the starter.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I can't offer you much in the way of technical advice, but I can offer you sincere empathy. I really hope the situation gets resolved quickly. As others have said, once you get clear of this initial hiccup, you will grow to love the car. Good luck.
zrultima (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Well I would like to figure it out myself once I am out of options the dealer will have to do but hopefully it something stupid I do hope worse case scenario its the starter not a wiring issue
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM
zrultima
Advanced

I tried bumping the starter with a hammer it didnt work so at this point I think I will just replace the starter anyone ever used a 6.2 denali/yukon starter for these cars
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Make sure you unplug and cell phone or gps chargers from the cig lighter. My car would not start if my old Tom Tom gps was plugged in. Some type of noise interfering with the fob system I suppose. Never got a fob message though.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:28 AM
ZimC6
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

about where are you located?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

If you do replace your starter, don’t take them the original as a core return. If it’s not the starter you will never have as good a starter as the original. Is the battery connection to the solenoid good? Still sounds like battery or poor grounds or cables.

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 10-08-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

If it was an "old" car you could simply start it by hot-wiring, bypassing all the circuits and eliminate them as the problem.

Not possible to jump the ignition circuit on these flying computers, I don't think.

You might be able to jump the starting circuit (to rule it in or out) but I'd be afraid of blowing the whole car up or something -- unless one of the geniuses here recommended it.

They probably have better/safer ways of diagnosing this on a modern car than my ancient, dated methods (which used to work).

GURUS . . . ???
Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Since you stated that you just took ownership, I'd reach out to the previous owner/dealer and see what they know, or will do to help.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I saw you got your battery load tested. Next thing I'd look at is the starter solenoid. The actual starter is probably fine. Mine went on my last C6 and it caused intermittent starting issues. Took nearly twenty attempts to start it successfully on the final drive over to the shop. It's common especially if you have headers (I didn't on my last C6). The heat causes the cheap Bakelite housing to crack. You can buy just the solenoid on eBay for super cheap (<$20). I'd check that next. Good luck!

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I saw you got your battery load tested. Next thing I'd look at is the starter solenoid. The actual starter is probably fine. Mine went on my last C6 and it caused intermittent starting issues. Took nearly twenty attempts to start it successfully on the final drive over to the shop. It's common especially if you have headers (I didn't on my last C6). The heat causes the cheap Bakelite housing to crack. You can buy just the solenoid on eBay for super cheap (<$20). I'd check that next. Good luck!
Yeah it got fixed I was reluctant but I want to ahead and did the starter what a pain in the *** and the worst thing was not even taking out the starter was take out the exhaust manifold and putting it back on because it didn't want to line up with the block I don't know how people do it but I couldn't get it to line up to the block and line up with the exhaust it whats a pain I have to jack it up and I'll try different angles it was difficult and then when it finally went in it was a little snug so hopefully I don't cross threaded anything
Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Good! Thanks for the update!

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd day car buying blues

Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Good! Thanks for the update!
Of course im glad i wasable to resolve it
Old 10-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Glad you got it resolved! I know it sucks to have something happen soon after buying a car no matter how minor it is. This will be a lone hiccup you won't even think about a few months down the line. Enjoy your C6!
zrultima (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 PM
zrultima
Advanced

SOrry to Revive !!!!!!!Guys replaced the starter it worked for a week and the problem came up again battery went dead i left the hatch open I did notice the starter is the same as a yukon denali is it the same thing????

Quick Reply: 2nd day car buying blues