C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd day car buying blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:58 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd day car buying blues

Hi guys I just took owner ship of a 2007 Chevrolet corvette a few days ago so i went ahead and took it on a ride to get accustomed to the car. Anyways i drove the car 60 miles to my gf house stayed the night and drove the car back home and stopped at a gas station to fuel up. I fueled up the car and went to start her up and nothing,... car wouldnt start just the lights kept coming off and would come back to Welcome to Chevrolet but it would not start. I towed the car home and charged the battery and its doing the same exact thing anyone know what I can do??? I cant believe this is happening
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Try replacing the battery. I know how you feel. I had to replace the battery in my Z06 only a few days after purchasing it. It had the original one in there. Couldn't believe it. No issues since and its been over a month.

Congrats on the C6 purchase!

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-06-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:11 PM
zrultima
Advanced

I charged the battery all the way up and i got locked out of the car twice today and i dont have an actually spare key i had to pick the lock or should i say the lever to get in its ben an awful day. everything is bright inside the car now that i charged it and it still wont start

Last edited by zrultima; 10-06-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Realize you charged the battery but how old is it? Chances are you need a new one. Worth the expense.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Are you sure the battery doesn't need to be replaced? Just because you charged it doesn't mean it's ok.
The following users liked this post:
eerforce1 (12-10-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Well i can go ahead and buy a new one tommorow and see if that helps just dont want to have the extra expense since i tried jumping it this morning but i will try that and let you guys know
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by zrultima
I charged the battery all the way up and i got locked out of the car twice today and i dont have an actually spare key i had to pick the lock or should i say the lever to get in its ben an awful day. everything is bright inside the car now that i charged it and it still wont start
If the battery is at or near the end of its lifespan, you can't bring it back to life by charging it (or by any other method). You may charge it enough to light the dash up, but there won't be enough current/capacity to crank the engine over.

Take the battery out, take it to your local auto parts store and have them load test it -- then you will know what kind of shape the battery is in and if it needs to be replaced.

Otherwise, we're just guessing.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Battery is about 2 years old but Bruze I will see if I can buy one tomorrow i really hope its that simple but it usually never is I will stay positive i will keep you guys updated
Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Also look up indexing the windows...once you remove the battery.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It is your clutch switch mine has been doing this for years and i could never figure out why everything worked but the car wouldn't start my lights came on gauges swept, but no turn over, i replaced the starter, column lock eliminator, battery cables, and all it was.. WAS THE DAMN CLUTCH SWITCH, over time using the clutch it shimmies down a little bit, i guarantee if you reach under and behind the clutch pedal and try to move the clutch switch around it will start right up. i can't tell you how many posts i did on this issue (you can check my page and all the "please help" posts. take my word it is worth checking this because its the easiest thing to check and very likely given your situation
K7MXE (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by zrultima
Battery is about 2 years old but Bruze I will see if I can buy one tomorrow i really hope its that simple but it usually never is I will stay positive i will keep you guys updated
Here's what I would do:

1) Loosen and wiggle both battery terminals sideways, retighten and try to start it.

2) If there's no change, and you have some way to get under the car, check the OTHER ends of BOTH battery cables. Make sure they look in good shape, and are clean and tight. The solenoid (that the hot end fastens to) seems to go bad and disintegrate more than it should, according to what other posters here have said -- especially if you have headers.

If you don't have any way of getting under the car, skip #2.

3) If that all checks out okay, take the battery out and have it load tested. If it's bad, you'll know what the problem was. If it tests good, then you don't have to spring for a new one, although you still have some other problem (which could be in step #2).

Damn it, I just missed a whole episode of "That 70s Show."
Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Also look up indexing the windows...once you remove the battery.

Technically, it's after you reconnect a live battery.

With the engine running and the window down, close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done. Don't forget the other window.

This will need to be done to both windows every time the car battery is disconnected, then reconnected.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I agree, I don't think it's your battery. If you tried jumping it, whatever you were jumping it from should have put out enough juice to crank it. I would suspect something more like the clutch switch.

Does the proximity key work for locking and unlocking the door? Sounds like that was an issue so you may have a weak battery in that, or a dead fob, or something like that.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Take key b out of your pocket. I've found sometimes my cell phone blocks the key fob from allowing the car to start. There is also a key fob slot in the glove compartment and it would show if your key fob battery is old.

The slot is closest to the driver when you open the glove box...take the top of the key fob off and slide into the little slot.

I also found that I buy a new battery every 3 years. The cars computer run system checks even when off. C6 corvettes need fresh battery's...change as it's a cheap easy shot that often resolves the issue.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:59 AM
zrultima
Advanced

my keyfob does not look like what i usually see on youtube the square box mine looks like an old fashion firebird alarm key does it still work the same way since i dont see a slot in the glove box or am i completely missing it
Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The fob slot is on the left side when the glove box door is opened. It is not inside the box but outside on the front partition. You may have to lower your head to see it.
Does the display say "No Fob Detected"? Is it a manual or auto transmission?

Last edited by weathermaker; 10-07-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Fob box in glove box is not easy to see. Do above and bend down a little to see it.

It may not be the batt., but in more than half the cases of no-start, it is the culprit---that's for new batts., 6 mos. old, 1 yr. old, etc.

When/if you disconnect or loosen the batt. cables, be very careful NOT to lose the nuts on the ends of the cable/clamp. They are slightly conical (the nuts) and push in the clamp to the batt. terminal. If you lose it, and use a flat nut, it will not sufficiently tighten the clamp on the terminal. Note: when you loosen clamps at batt., check to see if terminal and inside clamp portion are clean. If not, clean them with baking soda and water before re-clamping/tightening.

The suggestion to get the batt. load tested is a good one; it's free at just about any chain auto parts store.

The thoughts on jump start/car works and trickle/maintainer charge and car lights up but won't start, are also correct. Enough juice to turn on lights is minimal compared to the draw of juice to start a car. And jumping a car is using the other vehicle's batt. and engine.

Do you have an owner's manual? Is your key fob really not stock? There should be an internal, removable key in its base that pulls out (with difficulty). It will open the rear hatch/trunk. There is a pull cord on the left side inside the trunk/hatch. Pull it and it will open the driver's door. But those instructions are all in the owner's manual.

I can't speak for the clutch position switch since it doesn't seem to go out very frequently and am not sure you have a manual or automatic car.

Good luck. Come back and tell us what you find out.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd day car buying blues

Old 10-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

AORoads ....

Great info for the OP !
AORoads (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You would never get anything except "No FOBs Detected" if the FOB weren't working. You say the lights go out so that eliminates any issue with the FOB.

The clutch switch seems to be a possibility but it appears to be rare. If you have an automatic you would get a Press Brake To Start Engine message and again nothing would happen with the lights. But I see no such warning for a manual if the clutch is not pressed.

As a lot of people have said, your problem is that the starter motor isn't getting enough power. That could be a bad battery OR it could be a bad terminal on the starter which seems to be a common problem. I would certainly check both ends of the battery cables before buying a new battery.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 10-07-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Jerr
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Column lock caused similar problems on my 2005 until I bypassed it

Quick Reply: 2nd day car buying blues