C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd day car buying blues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:30 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tELL ME ABOUT IT REPLACED THE BATTERY AND ATTEMPTED A DRAIN TEST TODAY AND WELL NO DRAIN I HEARD THAT SOME OF THESE CARS CAME WITH INTERMITTEN DRAIN ISSUES
Old 12-05-2017, 06:00 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zrultima
...SOME OF THESE CARS CAME WITH INTERMITTEN DRAIN ISSUES
Perhaps OnStar...unless, of course, you've left something plugged in.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 PM
zrultima
Advanced

Unfortunately I dont have anything attached to the car since I have had this issue the 2nd day I bought it as far as the on star system what would be the fuse for it?? Did all cars come standard with onstar??? Thanks again guys for your replies I do want to enjoy this car as its been my dream car for a while
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It’s possible your battery was just going bad. All these cars have some draw if your battery was on its last legs it’s possible the normal minor draw was killing the failing battery in a day.

If you car is an 05 stick it needs to be put in reverse when parked.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
It €™s possible your battery was just going bad. All these cars have some draw if your battery was on its last legs it €™s possible the normal minor draw was killing the failing battery in a day.

Why is this?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Dead Battery Syndrome. AKA DBS. Only affecting '05 Manual. If you shut down the car when in any other gear than R, the car would not "time out" and continue to draw power until the battery was dead.

The OP, as an '07 owner should not be affected by this, although, there have been the rare reports that this occurs in later years, and can be halted by always putting it in R then shutting down.

Try it if nothing else seems to be working and report back. You have nothing to lose, as far as I can tell at this point.

Last edited by owc6; 12-05-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 AM
zrultima
Advanced

Originally Posted by NY09C6
It €™s possible your battery was just going bad. All these cars have some draw if your battery was on its last legs it €™s possible the normal minor draw was killing the failing battery in a day.

a 2.89 a draw is not a minor draw by any means just fyi that would cause a good battery to lose all its charge in half an hour.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:28 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I have read all of this thread and if I were you at this point I would take it to dealer or a very reputable garage

You should not have this much trouble with a vette
Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Dead Battery Syndrome. AKA DBS. Only affecting '05 Manual. If you shut down the car when in any other gear than R, the car would not "time out" and continue to draw power until the battery was dead.

The OP, as an '07 owner should not be affected by this, although, there have been the rare reports that this occurs in later years, and can be halted by always putting it in R then shutting down.

Try it if nothing else seems to be working and report back. You have nothing to lose, as far as I can tell at this point.

In my 08 manual on page 2-37, this is what it says about parking. It doesn't say it's mandatory, or a reason why, just do it!

"Parking Your Vehicle (Manual Transmission)
Before you get out of your vehicle, move the shift lever into REVERSE (R) and firmly apply the parking brake. Once the shift lever has been placed into REVERSE (R) with the clutch pedal pressed in, you can turn the ignition off and release the clutch."
Old 12-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
In my 08 manual on page 2-37, this is what it says about parking. It doesn't say it's mandatory, or a reason why, just do it!

"Parking Your Vehicle (Manual Transmission)
Before you get out of your vehicle, move the shift lever into REVERSE (R) and firmly apply the parking brake. Once the shift lever has been placed into REVERSE (R) with the clutch pedal pressed in, you can turn the ignition off and release the clutch."
It's for people who don't know how to drive a stick. Aside from the '05 issue with the battery drain, either reverse or first is fine for parking.

When I used to have sticks, I NEVER used the parking brake, except to exercise the cable once in a while so it didn't rust up.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruze
It's for people who don't know how to drive a stick. Aside from the '05 issue with the battery drain, either reverse or first is fine for parking.

When I used to have sticks, I NEVER used the parking brake, except to exercise the cable once in a while so it didn't rust up.

That's good to know. When I picked the car up from the previous owner, this is how he parked the car, and I read the manual later on saying the same thing. So I assumed that must be the correct way!

On the other hand, I most always parked my manual cars in neutral with the parking brake on. Of course this was on mostly level ground. I did this as a precaution so if the car got bumped, it wouldn't do damage to the transmission. Old habits die hard
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I was taught to put it in either R or 1st depending on which way the car was parked on a slope.

If it's pointed downhill, put it in R. If you are pointed uphill put it in 1st. The reasoning I was told was you want the most resistance if the parking brake failed.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I guess this is like the "Which way do you point your wheels on a slope" conversation.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

That's good to know. When I picked the car up from the previous owner, this is how he parked the car, and I read the manual later on saying the same thing. So I assumed that must be the correct way!

On the other hand, I most always parked my manual cars in neutral with the parking brake on. Of course this was on mostly level ground. I did this as a precaution so if the car got bumped, it wouldn't do damage to the transmission. Old habits die hard
Neutral? I would never do that. Everything then depends on the e-brake.

FWIW: With a stick in gear, no brake, engine off, on a hill, gravity tends to pull the car downhill. What holds the car is the drive wheels putting pressure on the tranny, which puts pressure on the crank, which puts pressure on a piston that is coming up on a compression stroke.

If the rings or valves leak bad, the car could bump a few inches as that cylinder loses compression and the next one in line holds it. Until that one leaks . . .

The gearing works backwards in this instance, in other words, the lowest gears (1st or rev) will hold the tightest, high gear will hold the least.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 PM
whitenow
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP- I didn't catch your location.

With all the nasty weather we had earlier this year, I would want to know if maybe this car had been flooded? Electrical gremlins are enormous stress factors and when dirty water and electrical circuits get together, the gremlins come out full force.

Additionally, I do not see if there are any aftermarket modifications or your car is just stock, but my hunch would be that for you to be pulling that kind of current with the car off, you have a wire somewhere that is shorting out. My first inclination would be something that can make intermittent contact, allowing it to work fine for a bit, then short and drain the battery.

Any aroma of hot electronics? See any burn marks where a wire gets to touch the engine or exhaust?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:47 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruze
Neutral? I would never do that. Everything then depends on the e-brake.

FWIW: With a stick in gear, no brake, engine off, on a hill, gravity tends to pull the car downhill. What holds the car is the drive wheels putting pressure on the tranny, which puts pressure on the crank, which puts pressure on a piston that is coming up on a compression stroke.

If the rings or valves leak bad, the car could bump a few inches as that cylinder loses compression and the next one in line holds it. Until that one leaks . . .

The gearing works backwards in this instance, in other words, the lowest gears (1st or rev) will hold the tightest, high gear will hold the least.

Back in the late 60's> early 70's when I lived on Long Island, there were very few shopping Malls with large parking lots. Most of my shopping was done in the local downtown 2 lane, 2 way Main street small merchant stores, where everyone had to parallel park. I'd rather have someone push my car a couple of inches with the car in neutral, parking brake on, rather than destroy my bumpers, grill or do damage to the transmission trying to make a parking space for themselves!
LI was mostly level, but if I had to park on an incline/decline, would put the car in gear with the parking brake on, and have the front wheels turned in the appropriate direction!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Back in the late 60's> early 70's when I lived on Long Island, there were very few shopping Malls with large parking lots. Most of my shopping was done in the local downtown 2 lane, 2 way Main street small merchant stores, where everyone had to parallel park. I'd rather have someone push my car a couple of inches with the car in neutral, parking brake on, rather than destroy my bumpers, grill or do damage to the transmission trying to make a parking space for themselves!
LI was mostly level, but if I had to park on an incline/decline, would put the car in gear with the parking brake on, and have the front wheels turned in the appropriate direction!
LOL, it won't damage the transmission. How do you think people bump-start cars?

Instead of the engine driving the wheels, by parking on a hill in gear, bump starting, or rolling down a hill and popping the clutch to start, now the wheels are driving the engine. It's irrelevant.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd day car buying blues

Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Back to the issue at hand...have you pulled the fuse for the OnStar to see if that eliminates drain?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:42 PM
zrultima
Advanced

I don't see a fuse for OnStar and issue goes in and out car is from Miami so nothing bad here
Old 12-11-2017, 01:53 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zrultima
I don't see a fuse for OnStar and issue goes in and out car is from Miami so nothing bad here
There should be a 10A fuse in the panel in the passenger side kickboard. Pull it and see if you still have the draw.

Quick Reply: 2nd day car buying blues