C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 C6 battery always dies if I don’t drive often

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:29 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

No, they did not fix the battery drain issues in 2006. Maybe some cases yes but most, no. If people would do a search on this forum instead of starting a new post on "dead battery" they would find enough info about dead batteries on ALL years of C6's, clear up to 2013 to write a 300 page book.

My 75,000 mile 2005 C6 manual 6 speed has been great and it is the first year gen C6. I knew about all the supposed issues before I bought it as I read all I could find for an entire month before I started looking for one. Didn't scare me.

Doesn't mean I couldn't have a new problem tomorrow, I could and I'll just have to deal with it if it happens.

Later year C6's have their own problems too. None of these cars are perfect. Check the C7 forum, guys there are complaining too, all years.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Sounds like a work around because they couldn't figure out how to get the car to shutdown after it was parked. I guess they fixed the issue in 2006.

This is just another of unique issues with the 2005 model Corvette. Just another reason not to buy the first model year of a new generation of car.
on the 2005 MY, but understand, those who own one will defend the decision, so I try to stay clear of that debate.

Another unique item with the 2005 is the E40 ECM which GM switched to the E38 thereafter. This hardly ever makes anyones, "list" of items to consider when analyzing a buy, but the E40 is fastly becoming an antique with no one rebuilding or selling new.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 PM
DreilsC5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshlopez510
My 05 C6 battery always dies if I don’t drive often. It’s very annoying since I have a company work car I don’t drive the Vette much. If it sits for more than 1 week without starting, when I try to start its completely dead. I cannot find anything that is staying on or anything.

Anyone ever have or hear hear of this issue? Anything will help.

Thank you!
A lot of great suggestions here. I was having the same dead battery problem with my 2004 C5 Convertible and went thru 2 brand new Optima Red Tops in 3-1/2 years before figuring out on my own that I had a parasitic battery drain caused by a defective OEM 12-Disc CD changer (located in trunk). I found help in this forum and basically if you simply disconnect the neg battery cable and check the current draw with multi-tester, between the neg batt post and disconnected neg cable, a reading over about 80 miliamps (0.080 amps) indicates a battery drain caused by an open circuit. Some drain is normal as power is needed to preserve the clock, radio settings, seat and mirror settings, etc., and security system.

When I found it, my CD player was pulling almost 2 amps when car was off and sitting in the garage.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM
belsy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default on star fuse

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Could be a parasitic draw on the battery..2005-2007 had this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

For some it was a programing error, some it's mirror lights being on or something else. They even put out several Technical Service Bullitens on the problem for 2005-2006. Post # 2 talks about the problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-reflash.html

The extra amps running up to 20minute shut down enough to cause the battery problems. Everything should be shut down in 3 minutes or less. When it doesn't it draws to much on the batter and with little use or occasional use battery will fail. Also sometimes caused by On Star drawing amps after shutdown...can pull that Fuse under passenger front well and that solved it for some folks. GL
Can u tell us more on location of On Star fuse, please
Old 10-11-2017, 05:45 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Look at the Factory User's Manual for the 2005 MY, pp 2-22. See the Notice:

Stopping Your Engine
If your vehicle has an automatic transmission, move the
shift lever to PARK (P) and press the ACC button. If
the shifter is not in PARK (P), the vehicle will go
into accessory mode and the DIC will display SHIFT TO
PARK. Once the shifter is moved to PARK (P), the
vehicle will turn off.
If your vehicle has a manual transmission, move the
shift lever to REVERSE (R) and press the ACC button.
If the shifter is not in REVERSE (R), the vehicle will
go into accessory mode and the DIC will display
SHIFT TO REVERSE. Once the shifter is moved to
REVERSE (R), the vehicle will turn off.
If the keyless access transmitter is not detected while
going to off, the DIC will display NO FOB – OFF
OR RUN?.
See
DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-53
for
more information.
Notice:
If you do not put a manual transmission in
REVERSE (R) before exiting your vehicle, the
battery will drain and could be damaged. Always put
a manual transmission in REVERSE (R) before
shutting off the engine and exiting the vehicle.

This is about insane. Sounds like another good reason to say..."Thanks GM"
Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
This is about insane. Sounds like another good reason to say..."Thanks GM"
OK, I have a 05 M6, and I feel a bit different about this issue. How hard is it to put a car in reverse and set the parking brake. This is what you should anyway. I don't like nannies any more than the next "old school" guy or gal. But this is not a problem.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dutch08
OK, I have a 05 M6, and I feel a bit different about this issue. How hard is it to put a car in reverse and set the parking brake. This is what you should anyway. I don't like nannies any more than the next "old school" guy or gal. But this is not a problem.

not a biggie to put a manual in reverse each time and I do on my non-2005, which I still wouldn't personally own an 05, but, I can see where....

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-11-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 PM
McCall38
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 08 with auto and used to regularly park it for 5 weeks at a time when I went offshore and I had no issues. I stored it in a storage unit away from home. Try keeping the FOB well away from the car and see if that helps.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My 05 base F55 sits for weeks on end without battery going flat. All cars have parasitic draw to some degree.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:40 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dman302
My 05 base F55 sits for weeks on end without battery going flat. All cars have parasitic draw to some degree.
Not like the 05 which uses the dead ended E40 ECM. GM upgraded and switched all other MY C6s to either the E38 or E67 ECMs with far more sophisticated speed density capabilities along with numerous other tune function upgrades.

One of the many drawbacks of the E40 (besides several rudimentary tune drawbacks like VVE), is that this ECM keeps the system in ACC mode if the car is NOT shifted into reverse. It is really not ACC it is RUN.

Leave your 05 in a gear other than reverse, store it, come back in a week and see what happens.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Dman302
Racer

Originally Posted by McCall38
I had an 08 with auto and used to regularly park it for 5 weeks at a time when I went offshore and I had no issues. I stored it in a storage unit away from home. Try keeping the FOB well away from the car and see if that helps.
Not like the 05 which uses the dead ended E40 ECM. GM upgraded and switched all other MY C6s to either the E38 or E67 ECMs with far more sophisticated speed density capabilities along with numerous other tune function upgrades.

One of the many drawbacks of the E40 (besides several rudimentary tune drawbacks like VVE), is that this ECM keeps the system in ACC mode if the car is NOT shifted into reverse. It is really not ACC it is RUN.

Leave your 05 in a gear other than reverse, store it, come back and see what happens.
its really no different than shifting an auto into park....mole hill meet mountain. Every year of automobile has idiosyncrasies.....05 has been a sturdy sob. Other years may be more conducive to heavy modifying to some degree but no real world ending roadblocks. The 05 can be modified and tuned all day long...blow a rear end, put in a c5 unit....there are no limits.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

its really no different than shifting an auto into park....mole hill meet mountain. Every year of automobile has idiosyncrasies.....05 has been a sturdy sob. Other years may be more conducive to heavy modifying to some degree but no real world ending roadblocks. The 05 can be modified and tuned all day long...blow a rear end, put in a c5 unit....there are no limits.

Ummm...OK....I promised myself not to match a technical discussion with an emotional one...by bad....over/out....
Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Dman302
Racer

Ummm...OK....I promised myself not to match a technical discussion with an emotional one...by bad....over/out....
good decision
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by belsy
Can u tell us more on location of On Star fuse, please
The fuse is in the passenger side fuse box. There is a door behind the carpet where it goes vertical in the back of foot well. Reach up and pull back the carpet and it will come back and there are the fuses etc. The back of the door has a picture with the fuse names etc. Find the one that says On Star and then look for that location on the fuse block. You can pull it with some needle nose pliers. There may be a little puller tool in there but I find the pliers easier. It's one of those little fuses.

You have to do the amp test to see if that did any good. Should not be any more than 0.50 milliamps and mine has gone down to 0.02 now which is good. You need one of those little volt meters from Harbor Freight for six bucks to test it. The courtesy lamp fuse is there too. You can pull it and see if that changes the reading too....If it does you may have a problem there. Check my original post for testing. Any electronics you add might change the amp draw even when off. GM listed some of the culprits in TSB I posted.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 10-12-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

And some are more than others if you have a problem. Must test it to find out. The people that say they don't have a problem, that's great, but some do. Specifically GM sent out the TSB for 05-07 for people that did have a problem and infrequent use or short trips did not charge up the battery. The problem killed good batteries over time much faster than normal. If you can't find the problem a charger is mandatory even for short periods I have found for good battery life.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 10-12-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Well this is all fine and dandy, but for GM to suggest that if one doesn't put their 2005 Corvette manual in reverse after every use they run the risk of loosing the battery is just in sane. This is not a knock on the 2005 model, this is a knock on the geniuses at GM. We should expect better from them on their flag ship performance car....
Old 10-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well this is all fine and dandy, but for GM to suggest that if one doesn't put their 2005 Corvette manual in reverse after every use they run the risk of loosing the battery is just in sane. This is not a knock on the 2005 model, this is a knock on the geniuses at GM. We should expect better from them on their flag ship performance car....
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Yes, you should put a manual in reverse w/the ebrake. Apparently some engineer or lawyer said, "Yeah let's make them do it!!!". They added the "nanny" and did not think about the side effects.

This is an example of poor engineering design by GM.

I just wish for cars that will exist for well beyond their normal life cycle, like the Corvette, the auto manufacturers would offer kits to fix some of these problems. They don't seem to realize that these enthusiast vehicles are rolling advertisements for future sales.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 C6 battery always dies if I don’t drive often

Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I don't ride my motorcycles that frequently, so I plug them into a quick connect plug from my battery tender after I pull into the garage. It's no big deal. If your vehicle is on a tender, you don't have to be concerned about the battery going dead or wondering if you left it in reverse and put the Flux Capacitor in standby mode.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by DreilsC5
I found help in this forum and basically if you simply disconnect the neg battery cable and check the current draw with multi-tester, between the neg batt post and disconnected neg cable, a reading over about 80 miliamps (0.080 amps) indicates a battery drain caused by an open circuit. Some drain is normal as power is needed to preserve the clock, radio settings, seat and mirror settings, etc., and security system.

When I found it, my CD player was pulling almost 2 amps when car was off and sitting in the garage.

Good luck!
OP - Do this^. Fix an adult beverage of your choice. Hook up the meter and watch the current level drop from Amps to Milliamps. Then get a battery tender.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Yes, you should put a manual in reverse w/the ebrake. Apparently some engineer or lawyer said, "Yeah let's make them do it!!!". They added the "nanny" and did not think about the side effects.

This is an example of poor engineering design by GM.

I just wish for cars that will exist for well beyond their normal life cycle, like the Corvette, the auto manufacturers would offer kits to fix some of these problems. They don't seem to realize that these enthusiast vehicles are rolling advertisements for future sales.
WOOOOAAAA there Dutch, you're making way to much sense there and are spot on. I think when it comes to these cars that have a cult following (if you will) the manufactures don't give a rats butt what kind of product they are putting out cause they know there will be a buyer regardless of how well that product is engineered.....really sad !!......

Quick Reply: 05 C6 battery always dies if I don’t drive often