C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are these things normal for corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 PM
mangahas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default are these things normal for corvettes?

usually when the car is cold everytime i put the shifter to D the car jerks forward a bit. also the car vibrates and is a little shaky on idle, pretty annoying
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:01 PM
mangahas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
No.
so idk whats wrong, im not getting any messages on dic and other than that car runs fine. and once the car is warmed up there is no jerk if i switch the shifter to D, only when i start the car cold
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I'm going to say yes.

Normally the idle is very low, so my LS2 shook just a little at idle. Didn't bother me.

When cold the idle may be a little higher, so that is the reason for a little lurch when you shift into D.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

No.

But a few more particulars may help us to guess better.

MY, miles, options, mods...
Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by mangahas
so idk whats wrong, im not getting any messages on dic and other than that car runs fine. and once the car is warmed up there is no jerk if i switch the shifter to D, only when i start the car cold
Is the car still running at "high idle" ? If you are starting a car in colder temps and immediately putting it into gear it will engage drive (or reverse) harder than in warmer temps. How cold (ambient) are you talking about ? Does the car do it if you let it warm up for a minute or two ? The LS engine will "lope" a little at idle, not like an old rat motor, but it is not as smooth as a Lexus either.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 PM
mangahas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Is the car still running at "high idle" ? If you are starting a car in colder temps and immediately putting it into gear it will engage drive (or reverse) harder than in warmer temps. How cold (ambient) are you talking about ? Does the car do it if you let it warm up for a minute or two ? The LS engine will "lope" a little at idle, not like an old rat motor, but it is not as smooth as a Lexus either.

based on that i guess its normal, sorry im comparing it to my mazda 3 which is quiet
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe that's the difference. If it was very cold outside, I let the car idle for 30 sec or so before putting it in gear. Also, my car is parked in a carport on the back of the house, so the first gear my car goes into is Reverse.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Maybe that's the difference. If it was very cold outside, I let the car idle for 30 sec or so before putting it in gear. Also, my car is parked in a carport on the back of the house, so the first gear my car goes into is Reverse.
I am really dating myself with this, but if I did not "kickdown" the idle on some of my cars before I put them in gear they would get up to 10~15 mph on their own. Technology has come so far, my new truck even has an elevated idle setting for colder temps.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I am really dating myself with this, but if I did not "kickdown" the idle on some of my cars before I put them in gear they would get up to 10~15 mph on their own. Technology has come so far, my new truck even has an elevated idle setting for colder temps.
I remember those days, Pat.

But as I recall, you couldn't "kick it down" until the thermostat thingy on the side of the carb warmed up a bit.

But whatever, the behavior of the OP's car does NOT seem normal to me. Mine idles smooth as silk, even if it's 30 degrees out, as should any vehicle -- new or old.

Dating things: The last car my late father has was probably an early-mid '90s model, and he commented once how easily it started in the winter. No "setting the choke," just turn the key and it fired right up.

He grew up wrenching on Model T-s and A-s, so it was a big thing to him.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bruze
I remember those days, Pat.

But as I recall, you couldn't "kick it down" until the thermostat thingy on the side of the carb warmed up a bit.

But whatever, the behavior of the OP's car does NOT seem normal to me. Mine idles smooth as silk, even if it's 30 degrees out, as should any vehicle -- new or old.

Dating things: The last car my late father has was probably an early-mid '90s model, and he commented once how easily it started in the winter. No "setting the choke," just turn the key and it fired right up.

He grew up wrenching on Model T-s and A-s, so it was a big thing to him.
I still have a hand choke on my 68 Caprice............
As far as the kickdown goes, you could take it off the fast idle cam on the carb, but it would probably not run very well that way until it warmed up. I remember my first FI car, it was great to be able to just hit the key and go. Thinking back on it now, I think I bought my 1st house before my 1st fuel injected car.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

usually when the car is cold everytime i put the shifter to D the car jerks forward a bit. also the car vibrates and is a little shaky on idle, pretty annoying
1. All cars w AT "jerk forward" a bit when, during cold idle, you engage D from P or N. Do you think this is exceptionally pronounced in your C6?

2. Do some CF searches on "irregular idle" and "rough idle" and select pertinent-looking C6 threads. You will see at hundreds of posts. This is common concern and sometimes a controversial issue. In a nutshell: LS3s seem to have a relatively low cold idle RPM (~500), and many owners feel an irregular slight shake. The controversy is that some owners opine that this is akin to a cam lope, and others (including myself) opine that this is nothing even remotely similar to a cam lope.

Last edited by 235265283...; 10-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
1. All cars w AT "jerk forward" a bit when, during cold idle, you engage D from P or N. Do you think this is exceptionally pronounced in your C6?

2. Do some CF searches on "irregular idle" and "rough idle" and select pertinent-looking C6 threads. You will see at hundreds of posts. This is common concern and sometimes a controversial issue. In a nutshell: LS3s seem to have a relatively low cold idle RPM (~500), and many owners feel an irregular slight shake. The controversy is that some owners opine that this is akin to a cam lope, and others (including myself) opine that this is nothing even remotely similar to a cam lope.
My buddy had a real radical cam in his Harley, and one time when we were gassing up some dummy on the next pump asked him what was "wrong" with his bike, it sounded bad. lol
Old 10-15-2017, 07:02 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Shaky at cold idle, I would check the plugs and wires.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:04 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yea I remember my 302 Camaro, it really kicked *** back in the day.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

my fully stock 07 A6 does not jerk at all, in fact, very smooth shifting into D at all times, idling is only rough when the car is fully warm (the computer drops the RPM down to 500 when in D)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine shook when the harmonic balancer was going bad. You might want to check the harmonic balancer.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ls1121
Yea I remember my 302 Camaro, it really kicked *** back in the day.
Bet you wish you still had that one.

Get notified of new replies

To are these things normal for corvettes?

Quick Reply: are these things normal for corvettes?