C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Run Flats, What inflator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have a Green Slime kit in the back. I've used the pump on my Z28 but never the slime, so far. So far putting air in the tire gets me to the tire shop, and if the tire loses air so quickly that the pump doesn't help I will call for a flat bed. I just Hate the terrible ride that run craps give me on a Corvette.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Vi Air reminds of the $39 Harbor Freight compressor. It works well. I keep one in my truck for hauling my travel trailer. Not exactly compact and seems way overpriced compared to the Harbor Freight.
I bought a Harbor Freight compressor first, it looked good and worked well exactly once, never ran again. The ViAir has been working well for several years. Harbor Freight is very hit & miss. Some of it breaks right off the bat, sometimes it holds up. I bought a generator there a few years back that cost less than 20% what a Honda would have and has started first pull every time and never missed a beat. I really had a long discussion with myself before I bought it, finally decided it only needed to last 1 year to be worth it.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Slime kit and I can verify that it does indeed work since I had to use it on my wife's car.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
I've carried the Slime pump and the Stop n Go plugging kit on my motorcycle for years. Great products. I experimented on my C5 coupe and learned that looking for a nail/screw/etc. on a flat Corvette tire is tough so I bought a small scissor jack so I could rotate the flat tire. This worked but I couldn't get the jack under the body so I then added a 2" piece of dense styrofoam to drive onto, this way I could jack up the car, find the problem, make the repair and reinflate the tire. Or call AAA. When is enough, enough?
Hey Tulsa rider, are you going to Brookside show on Sunday?

I am heading up there from Edmond. It's right in town for you. I'll be on a green Guzzi Sport.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I bought a Harbor Freight compressor first, it looked good and worked well exactly once, never ran again. The ViAir has been working well for several years. Harbor Freight is very hit & miss. Some of it breaks right off the bat, sometimes it holds up. I bought a generator there a few years back that cost less than 20% what a Honda would have and has started first pull every time and never missed a beat. I really had a long discussion with myself before I bought it, finally decided it only needed to last 1 year to be worth it.
My used my HF compressor plenty and it's never failed. I burned a lot of fuses until I read the instructions.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
IF getting one plugging into lighter, do yourself a favor and have spare lighter fuses handy. I learned.
Pump blew lighter fuse, wasn't a big deal since I was in the garage.
Had I been on a highway/parking lot relying on this thing I'd have been mightily pissed.
I've blown at least 5 20 amp fuses for the lighter,i don't understand why because the pump has a 5 amp fuse in it,anyway I've have been using the plug in the console and never have blown a fuse?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I've blown at least 5 20 amp fuses for the lighter,i don't understand why because the pump has a 5 amp fuse in it,anyway I've have been using the plug in the console and never have blown a fuse?
Do you turn on the air pump before you screw it into the tire valve stem?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I have a ViAir, but it's a different, and more expensive, model than the one shown above. I've only used it to test it, but it fits nicely in the cubby. I got it from Amazon for about $80. It inflates very fast, The speed of inflation appears to be a function of price.

I don't have a tire repair kit. I figure if the issue is so bad that I can't inflate the tire and drive for a while, repeating if necessary, then I don't want to fool with it and will call AAA. A Corvette with a flat tire will almost be sitting on the ground and getting to the problem to fix it would be a challenge.
Have you ever called AAA out in the middle of no where like TX and AZ at night and many miles from the nearest small town? well i can say you will have to sleep in your vette and wait for hours before someone to show then it will cost you$$$$..AAA sucks.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Do you turn on the air pump before you screw it into the tire valve stem?
No never! I always screw on to the valve stem first then turn it on and it reads the pressure in my tire and i push the + button to the pressure i want then it pumps to 32 lbs.Could you explain why it would make a different?.I dont like using the lighter socket because the damm door does not close easy.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 10-20-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one, was wondering.
Interesting, no idea why one 12VDC port blows, while other doesn't.

12VDC units are fine, but blowing fuses a real possibility.
Since I use RFs a portable 12VDC pump really isn't needed, anymore
Bought a compact pump made by GY, plugs into any 120VAC in garage.
Tires get filled w/ no blown fuse, problem solved.

Still those relying on a 12VDC pump better heed my advise, have spare fuses available.

Last edited by Landru; 10-20-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

No never! I always screw on to the valve stem first then turn it on and it reads the pressure in my tire and i push the + button to the pressure i want then it pumps to 32 lbs.Could you explain why it would make a different?.I dont like using the lighter socket because the damm door does not close easy.
That's the problem. You're popping fuses due to power surge. The air pump never has a chance to establish momentum.

Turn the power on BEFORE you screw it onto the valve stem!

It's in the instructions too. Also mentioned it in my earlier posts. Don't blame Harbor Freight.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I've got one of those in my truck (might be a slightly diff model, IDK) and it works really well. However, it's too big to fit in the cubby under the hatch. I've got an old compressor I carried in my 350Z that just fits in the cubby along with a plug kit and a pressure gauge.

What "cubby" is everyone referring to? Is it one of the aftermarket pieces that has storage compartments and fits in the hatch area?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

yes
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
What "cubby" is everyone referring to? Is it one of the aftermarket pieces that has storage compartments and fits in the hatch area?
I'm assuming the rear storage compartments, which are AKA cubbies.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Tulsa rider, are you going to Brookside show on Sunday?

I am heading up there from Edmond. It's right in town for you. I'll be on a green Guzzi Sport.
PM sent
Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

That's the problem. You're popping fuses due to power surge. The air pump never has a chance to establish momentum.

Turn the power on BEFORE you screw it onto the valve stem!

It's in the instructions too. Also mentioned it in my earlier posts. Don't blame Harbor Freight.
I'm not blaming Harbor Freight because i did not buy it at Harbor Freight and i did not say i did...O'Relly's..And i have never read about this in your posts.I prefer to use the console plug....

Quick Reply: Non-Run Flats, What inflator