C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Side Skirts Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's another tip I posted on my other thread. I have the Carbon Fiber splitter/side skirts, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that this will work on those of you who have black or factory finished dark-colored side skirts...

About 3 days after my install, I got a nasty rock chip on the front splitter. I was not pleased.

If you get any rock or road debris chips/gouges in the splitter or side skirts, get some Wood Finish Stain Marker (in 2718 Ebony) from Home Depot or Lowe's. Use the wood pen to dab a little stain on there. After it settles in, use a paper towel or similar to remove the excess. Works wonders- You can't even notice it unless you are looking for it.

The following users liked this post:
JRLedFoot (01-06-2018)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:23 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Looks good. I have a set of these in the living room. I'm scared to do it myself because I might mess it up. LoL Did you screw in or rivet in?
You can use 3M panel tape,don't have to drill holes and believe me this stuff will not fall off,I use it regularly and it hard to break the grip.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
You can use 3M panel tape,don't have to drill holes and believe me this stuff will not fall off,I use it regularly and it hard to break the grip.
Where did you purchase it?
Old 11-05-2017, 12:56 PM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Received my side skirts last Thursday morning by FedEx after ordering the previous Friday night. I ordered mine from Extreme...same product as WSA but the ebay listing showed WSA shipping from Extreme. I figured why not order directly from the source. Very satisfied with order, vendor communication, delivery, and quality. Now for another question...for those of you who've installed them, how did you fasten the fender extensions? I looked at a few at a Corvette event this weekend (mostly high dollar CF) and they has small screws similar to the stock GS splash guards (maybe 2 or 3) attached to the fender lip. Don't know if they need that much support or if double-sided tape would work just as well. What did you guys use? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by bill gsport
Received my side skirts last Thursday morning by FedEx after ordering the previous Friday night. I ordered mine from Extreme...same product as WSA but the ebay listing showed WSA shipping from Extreme. I figured why not order directly from the source. Very satisfied with order, vendor communication, delivery, and quality. Now for another question...for those of you who've installed them, how did you fasten the fender extensions? I looked at a few at a Corvette event this weekend (mostly high dollar CF) and they has small screws similar to the stock GS splash guards (maybe 2 or 3) attached to the fender lip. Don't know if they need that much support or if double-sided tape would work just as well. What did you guys use? Thanks.
See my post #72 this thread, they worked well for me and not too obtrusive
NSF
Old 11-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Exact1
I only received notification that my order was shipped, along with a tracking number. They took the full amount of payment. I'm going to expect an explanation on Monday.
After searching the master tracking number from FedEx, I see that another package shipped and is due to arrive Tuesday. So I'm hopeful it's the skirts.
I installed the front splitter today. Now I understand why they are less expensive than some other vendors. It took a lot of massaging with a heat gun to get it to conform with the bends of the front clip. Also, the ends need to be smoothed off with a Dremel tool. However, the end result is quite acceptable. I was going to paint the front spoiler and skirts but after handling the front splitter, I'm not sure paint would adhere very long to it. It's very flexible when not mounted. I'll probably just go with a black detail spray.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

After searching the master tracking number from FedEx, I see that another package shipped and is due to arrive Tuesday. So I'm hopeful it's the skirts.
I installed the front splitter today. Now I understand why they are less expensive than some other vendors. It took a lot of massaging with a heat gun to get it to conform with the bends of the front clip. Also, the ends need to be smoothed off with a Dremel tool. However, the end result is quite acceptable. I was going to paint the front spoiler and skirts but after handling the front splitter, I'm not sure paint would adhere very long to it. It's very flexible when not mounted. I'll probably just go with a black detail spray.
Here's a little something I did to stiffen up the splitter, I don't know if you have a base or GS or if it would make any difference at all but here's what I did
I put 2 stiffeners in the air slots that I made out of refrigerator water line hard plastic 1/4" flex tubing from Lowes, cut to length then shrink wrapped them in black. Use the 2 OEM screw clips that are there already but get longer screws and Viola, if you like it that is.
NSF

Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NSF. Thanks for the reply, but I was referring to the splash guards in the rear wheelwells, not the skirts themselves. May not have been clear in my previous post. I took your advice and have already purchased the self-tapping hardware for the majority of the installation. How did you install the splash guards? Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Here's a little something I did to stiffen up the splitter, I don't know if you have a base or GS or if it would make any difference at all but here's what I did
I put 2 stiffeners in the air slots that I made out of refrigerator water line hard plastic 1/4" flex tubing from Lowes, cut to length then shrink wrapped them in black. Use the 2 OEM screw clips that are there already but get longer screws and Viola, if you like it that is.
NSF

Mine is a Base Coupe. The other thing that I noticed is there is about a 3/4 inch gap from the end of each side of the splitter to the front fender well. At first I thought I had the splitter too far forward, but it is aligned plumb to the front seam. There's no way to make the radius of the splitter stretch enough to align with the fender well. The radius is what it is, and I couldn't push the splitter back to align it. I'm thinking of cutting and forming something in rubber to take up some of the gap.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Mine is a Base Coupe. The other thing that I noticed is there is about a 3/4 inch gap from the end of each side of the splitter to the front fender well. At first I thought I had the splitter too far forward, but it is aligned plumb to the front seam. There's no way to make the radius of the splitter stretch enough to align with the fender well. The radius is what it is, and I couldn't push the splitter back to align it. I'm thinking of cutting and forming something in rubber to take up some of the gap.
Can you post a pic of the whole front of the car? Mine isn't from the same vendor but when I installed it I lined up and mounted the ends flush with the wheel well openings first then raised the center part up started screwing it into place on each side.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVRose
Can you post a pic of the whole front of the car? Mine isn't from the same vendor but when I installed it I lined up and mounted the ends flush with the wheel well openings first then raised the center part up started screwing it into place on each side.
Poor picture, it's in the garage and the lighting is poor. The entire front looks aligned correctly, at least to me. I installed it from the center out, measuring several times to center it. I don't think that the radius of the splitter would allow me to attach both ends first and then raise the middle.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Poor picture, it's in the garage and the lighting is poor. The entire front looks aligned correctly, at least to me. I installed it from the center out, measuring several times to center it. I don't think that the radius of the splitter would allow me to attach both ends first and then raise the middle.
It looks like you may have it a bit farther forward/higher on the front than I do which in turn pulls it away from the edges at the fender well. I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVRose
It looks like you may have it a bit farther forward/higher on the front than I do which in turn pulls it away from the edges at the fender well. I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Yes, yours looks further back. I'll take mine off tomorrow and try reinstalling it from the ends first.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bill gsport
NSF. Thanks for the reply, but I was referring to the splash guards in the rear wheelwells, not the skirts themselves. May not have been clear in my previous post. I took your advice and have already purchased the self-tapping hardware for the majority of the installation. How did you install the splash guards? Thanks again.
I used the same truss head self tapping #8's that I photo'd, painted them black, only used 2 plus the OEM screw and washer that's there already and of course what ever you use to attach to the splash guard to the skirt
Seems very secure.
NSF
Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Yes, yours looks further back. I'll take mine off tomorrow and try reinstalling it from the ends first.
I bet that takes care of your fitment problem You could still use the stiffeners if you desire but that's your call, good luck whatever you choose
NSF
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I bet that takes care of your fitment problem You could still use the stiffeners if you desire but that's your call, good luck whatever you choose
NSF

Many thanks to EVRose and NSF for the guidance.
I swear I'm as smart as a box of Cheerios at times

I removed the splitter and reinstalled it starting from each end and working my way to the middle. It aligned nicely, looks much better. And yes, it sits further back where it should. I like the stiffener idea, I'm going to use it.
Skirts are due in tomorrow I'll take pics of
everything once installed.

Last edited by Exact1; 11-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (11-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New Side Skirts Installed

Old 11-06-2017, 12:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I removed the splitter and reinstalled it starting from each end and working my way to the middle. It aligned nicely, looks much better. And yes, it sits further back where it should. I like the stiffener idea, I'm going to use it.
Cool! Let's see some outside pics this time.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:57 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

A lot of good info in this post. As I have stated in an earlier reply, I ordered all three pieces, Front splitter, side skirts and rear spoiler. I received the rear spoiler, but the splitter and skirts were cancelled and my money returned. I got the spoiler, but it only came with the 4 small attachment bolts that are on the standard small spoiler. It did not come with the outer attachment hardware. If anyone had the same issue what did you end up using? I believe there are three attachment points on each side of the spoiler besides the 4 original.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:44 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since your's is a base. How'd you mount it? I see the GS guys use original holes of theirs. I don't think our bases share any of the same mounting points.

And yes.. photos!

Quick Reply: New Side Skirts Installed