C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage

Old 10-16-2017, 07:59 AM
hfxfireman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter storage

Looking for pointers to store my new to me 2012 GS. I will be storing it in my heated garage, but looking for other ideas or thoughts. Do I take it off the ground etc? Rookie here and just want to look after my dream car
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Doesn't need much.

- Add some Stabil to the gas.
- Hook up battery maintainer/charger. Ctek is a good choice
- You are in a heated garage, but I would still add 4-5 pounds of pressure to each tire. They will lose some sitting. Lose more if it gets cold.
- Crack both windows.
- Put on car cover. '

That's it. No need to go crazy and no reason to take it off the ground. And do not cold start it periodically. Just let it sit and sleep until the spring.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
FatsWaller (10-16-2017), hfxfireman (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM
hfxfireman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Doesn't need much.

- You are in a heated garage, but I would still add 4-5 pounds of pressure to each tire. They will lose some sitting. Lose more if it gets cold.
- Crack both windows.
- Put on car cover. '

That's it. No need to go crazy and no reason to take it off the ground. And do not cold start it periodically. Just let it sit and sleep until the spring.
Do you remove the battery from the car?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by hfxfireman
Do you remove the battery from the car?
You can. But it isn't needed. Just hook up a CTEK charger with the battery in the car.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-158-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY
Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Take some precautions as mentioned, and drive it every chance you get when there is no snow or salt on the roads. It's surprising to some, but these really are cars that can stand up to the abuse of being driven between Nov and March, LOL. Plus it's fun! It's just a car. Be sensible and have fun.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Been winter storing cars for years. disconnect + battery terminal and cover.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:42 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

You might want to guard agaist little critters making nests

Clif
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Been storing mine since 2009 in a heated garage.
1) Fill Gas Tank and add stabil while filling.
2)Pump up the tires to 40 psi. You do not have to take the weight off the wheels. The new tires do not get flat spots.
3) Put Bounce dryer sheets in the car, one on the driver side and one on the passenger side, and one in the hatch area. Also put a few in the engine bay and steel wool in the exhast pipes. These keep the inside smelling fresh, and rodents also don't like the smell of them.
4) Hook it up to a Battery Tender (I use a Deltran Battery tender Plus) from Nov to April each year, and never an issue. It also keeps the battery fully charged, and will recharge it if you are inside the car doing stuff with the ACC on.
5) Put a Car cover on, and that's it!

I have a tightly sealed garage, and have never had any rodents in or around the car in those 8 years.

The following users liked this post:
Z06Shark (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Doesn't need much.

- Crack both windows.
- Put on car cover. '

Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

I do nothing different from November to March other than drive it less. I try to drive it at least once a month thru the winter months. Don't need to bother with fuel additives, covers, r&r battery or any special checklist.

My C6 sits in an unheated but attached garage to my house. Plug the tender in about every 10 days or so, no big deal. Same procedure with my 65, drive it once a month and keep battery on the same tender.

I've got nice covers for both and don't use either one.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:44 PM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know if it is a good idea to put extra air in the tires. I know they can change stagger in a race car with varied air pressure, since it changes the diameter slightly. If you increase the volume of the tire and it sits like that for a few months in the cold, the carcass may be slightly changed. Not a tire expert, just something to consider.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by HammerheadTed
Don't know if it is a good idea to put extra air in the tires. I know they can change stagger in a race car with varied air pressure, since it changes the diameter slightly. If you increase the volume of the tire and it sits like that for a few months in the cold, the carcass may be slightly changed. Not a tire expert, just something to consider.
It will not damage the tire or change the "carcass". The reason to overfill the tires 5-7psi or so is because as the ambient temperature drops the pressure in the tires will also drop. This is because temperature and pressure are directly related. For every 10 degree drop in temp expect about 1-2psi (approximate) drop in pressure. So you overfill the tires a bit to account for this drop in pressure that will occur with a drop in temp. If you do not do this, the pressure can drop too much and this is what will deform a tire (very low pressure sitting for a long time). Additionally, the relative humidity will impact it as well. This is a well known, well understood phenomena.

This is also why, when my car is on a race track, I set the cold starting psi much lower (~25psi). This is because as it is driven hard on a track the tire will get very hot. This heat will dramatically raise the psi. 25psi will go to 32-34psi in 5 laps, when they then reach optimal operating temperature. If I started them at 32psi, they would quickly overheat due to too much pressure (40+psi once warmed up).

So it will not harm your tires (and will in fact help them) by adding more air before putting the car away for a long winter hibernation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
HammerheadTed (10-16-2017), hfxfireman (10-18-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I store my 10'GS in my heated garage. I clean car inside and out, do my annual oil change,add a bottle of Sta-Bil (storage) and fill tank, I fill tires to 38lbs. connect battery tender, put the cover on. See you in the Spring!! I never start the car during winter either.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Doesn't need much.

- Crack both windows.
- Put on car cover. '

Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

A lot of you guys wayyy over think this.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My list usually consists of

*Wash / wax / detail of car
*Cover car
*Full tank of Gas with Stabil added
*Pull battery, Keep stored in house with tender. (My garage is detached and doesn't have electric)
*Inflate tires to 40psi
*Plug tailpipes
*Place 2 boxes of dryer sheets in and around car
*Being that my garage is detached and close to the woods I add mouse traps all around and also fill in any holes or crevices I can find

My biggest concern is rodents so I do what I can to protect my car from them.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

My sympathy to those who have to store their cars for the winter. I don't think I could take it. Can't you take it out once or twice a month when the roads are dry? Sorry for the question, but I just can't relate.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage

Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
My sympathy to those who have to store their cars for the winter. I don't think I could take it. Can't you take it out once or twice a month when the roads are dry? Sorry for the question, but I just can't relate.
So are you asking cause it never gets cold where you are at.....are do you drive yours in cold weather and wonder why some don't ??
Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Doesn't need much.

- Crack both windows.
- Put on car cover. '

& no need to lift the tires off the ground to avoid "flat" spots lol
Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Plug the tail pipes...
Are you thinking mice are gonna crawl up your tailpipe and what? Crap in the cat converter? Pee on your pistons? What?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter storage