C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of Long Tube headers requires removal of front cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thx for all ur help
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
The E40 does not have an option to delete the startup test on the rear O2 sensors. So, what tuners usually do is just plug the sensor into the factory harness and tie up the sensor, plugged in to the harness, to some convenient place out of the way. Doesn't have to be in the pipe.

This is what I believe the "girl" from Kooks was alluding to. It is a tune trick to keep the CEL extinguished on the E40 (2005) only. As long as the rear sensor comes back with a startup/test reading verifying the sensor is there, the E40 goes on with its business. That can be done hanging the sensor out in the "breeze" so to speak. Then the typical P-Codes can be shut off in the E40.

E38s and E67s have more sophisticated Engine management options so the entire sensor can be eliminated via tune option choices. These ECMs do not use a startup check fixed into the startup routine unlike the E40.
In my 05, can I plug the rear o2 extensions into the off road x pipe or do I have to hang them out of the way?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynajim
I’m a retired computer systems engineer. Wonder if I bought one of the tuners I’ve seen advertised whether I’d b able to turn off that sensor?
if you are refering to a Diablo Intune or a SCT tuner ... no you cannot turn off the rear O2 sensors with them yourself and the can tunes are not good enough for headers and CAI .....

But you can purchase a custom tune from Diablow Lew that will adjust the tune for the headers and the CAI . This tune will turn off the rear O2 sensors

Is it as good as a Dyno Tune or someone who has a wideband sensor installed and HP Tuners software along with the knowledge to do the tune ... probably leaving a few HP on the table with the Diablo but not enough that you would feel with just the bolt on mods you have if you do several logs

I went this direction as I purchased a Diablo Intune cheap on these forums and then paid Diablo Lew $175.00 for the Header CAI tune . I sent him several logs files which he reads and then modifies the tune and emails back for you to upload . think of it as the equvelent of a good street tune

With HOXXOH help with my "Driver MOD", I feel my car runs pretty good for a "Bolt On Grocery Getter" running stock Michelin run flats

I also like the ability the Diablo gives me to make fine adjustments to my fuel and TCM tune safely as it will not let me do anything stupid to the tables as it Is almost idiot proof ... you can also adjust things like your fan percentages , tire size etc

But .... anything more than simple bolt on mods.like headers .. need to be tuned on a Dyno or someone that has HP Tuners software and the knowledge on what to change and why ....

Dave
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Dynajim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx Dave

Quick Reply: Installation of Long Tube headers requires removal of front cats