C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my clutch going out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Jerr
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my clutch going out?

2005 manual with 60k, I installed a CAI and full Z06 exhaust and a canned tune from Diabl recently so I've been driving more aggressively every now and then. This week notice a squeal or chirp as I'm engaging the clutch when it's cold. A couple times with hard acceleration or shifting I've smelled a burned smell which I think is the clutch because it doesn't linger. It doesn't seem to slip. Is my clutch on it's last legs or is there anything else I need to do? I'm nervous about getting on it now afraid I may burn it up. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If you beat the car, clutch longevity takes a hit. Moreso if/when flogging's done when cold.
Clutches stink when slipping FWIW, but this might've been on you disengaging prematurely causing slippage & disc burning.
Happened to me, once.

To assess clutch health get engine/tranny to operating temps, THEN hard acceleration through 1-2-3.
IF worn it'll slip starting out, can see RPM surge on tach.
If it's slipping it's shot & needs replacement.

If no slip, get car up to temps before clowning around.
Might even get 10-20K more outa it.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

4th gear- 1500 rpms and floor it... if the car moves forward you are fine
The following users liked this post:
6SpeedTA95 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Thundar
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI: Chevy has issued one of those "soft recalls" on the clutch assembly. It is one of "If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above...contact a Chevrolet dealer...". So, I had that issue where I went to start my 2008 and the clutch went to the floor. I could manually pull it back up, but as soon as I touched it, back it fell.

I contacted a dealership and had the vehicle towed there. Chevy paid for the replacement of the clutch assembly, with a redesigned (heavier) clutch. I also contacted customer service and they picked up the tow as well, because I obviously could not drive the vehicle to the dealership.

If you are experience clutch issues, check your documentation. You can go to my.gm.com/recalls and enter your VIN. If not, contact Chevy customer service at 800-833-2438.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:27 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I have also been told if you engage the parking brake and put tranny in 1st gear, no gas and slowly release the clutch the engine should stall if the clutch has life left in it.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Jerr
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. It seems to have stopped. Maybe I left a rough spot or uneven area on the clutch face when I dumped the clutch. I guess time will tell
Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

4th gear- 1500 rpms and floor it... if the car moves forward you are fine
This is a good a test as any. The chirping is the throw-out bearing, hopefully because it was cold.
The following users liked this post:
6SpeedTA95 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:30 AM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Chirping is most likely the throwout bearing not the clutch. As mentioned above use the 4th gear test. It's always been my go to.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundar
FYI: Chevy has issued one of those "soft recalls" on the clutch assembly. It is one of "If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above...contact a Chevrolet dealer...". So, I had that issue where I went to start my 2008 and the clutch went to the floor. I could manually pull it back up, but as soon as I touched it, back it fell.

I contacted a dealership and had the vehicle towed there. Chevy paid for the replacement of the clutch assembly, with a redesigned (heavier) clutch. I also contacted customer service and they picked up the tow as well, because I obviously could not drive the vehicle to the dealership.

If you are experience clutch issues, check your documentation. You can go to my.gm.com/recalls and enter your VIN. If not, contact Chevy customer service at 800-833-2438.

Hope this helps!
Explain please. The only clutch recall I'm aware of replaces the clutch master cylinder only. It doesn't replace the clutch itself. The scenario you described is exactly what the master cylinder replacement is supposed to fix. Do you have a service bulletin reference number?
Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Thundar
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Explain please. The only clutch recall I'm aware of replaces the clutch master cylinder only. It doesn't replace the clutch itself. The scenario you described is exactly what the master cylinder replacement is supposed to fix. Do you have a service bulletin reference number?
Sorry, went back and read the issue again. Yes, my issue was isolated to the master cylinder clutch assembly. I had this done last year. I don't have a service bulletin or ref number. I think they kept the notice with the paperwork.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my clutch going out?

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going out?