C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flats or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Run Flats or Not?

I'm sure the subject of whether to replace the tires with run flats or not has been brought up several times. However, I wasn't very successful in tracking down those threads with the search function. Which speak more to my search function skills...

At any rate, what are most people buying when it comes to replacement tires? Are you sticking with the run flats for the security or regular tires for cost savings and a bit of performance gains?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Definitely wouldn't stick with run flats, but that's just me.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around. Very happy with them.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 PM
groran
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Not me

When I replace my tires, is going to be regular tires. I chose to get the premium tire plug kit and a small compressor. The non run flats are much smoother from what I read. They also may be cheaper too. If you don't want to keep plug kit and compressor, there is this liquid stuff I run in all my motorcycles. Stuff is fantastic and stays liquid and balances your tires as the stuff flows where the imbalance is. It's called rideon, check out the reviews and utube vids on it. Safe for the tpms too as it stays in center of tire. I've been using it for years and I haven't had a flat in years.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

As you likely are aware, or not, this subject has been beat about in this forum too many times to count.

There are Plus and negatives to both RF and non RF tires.
I'll give you my opinion, then I'm sure it will open up the flood gates Pro and Con

1) The GY RF's are the worst tire one can have on a C6. They are expensive, terrible thread life, loud with road noise and when thread worn to to 50%, they become outright dangerous in any rain with 50% thread remaining.
That's when I removed my original GY RF tires.
2) Any other brand of RF tires will be a great improvement over the GY RF tires.
3) I replaced my GY RF tires with a non RF tire (Firestone WO Indy 500) and stayed with those tires for the past 3 tire changes. They no longer make the original Indy 500's
4) The Non RF tires have a better thread life, cheaper to buy, great in rainy conditions, smooth ride and no tire noise until amost worn out.
5) I never worry about a flat tire-How many times have you seen a car on the side of a road with a flat tire with the new tire designs.
I've got 90K miles on my car, many long road trips, and only once did I pick up a screw, that caused a slow leak. I have a compressor, a plug kit, side cutters, and a can of tire goop. At the hotel, on that road trip, I found the screw, pulled it out with the side cutter pliers, put a plug in it, and that plug stayed in that tire until I replaced the 4 tires with 4 new ones.
BTW, I removed the screw, plugged the hole while the rear tire was still on the car.
The TPMS did let me know that I had a small leak. I pumped it up to 36 psi at the next rest stop, and drove on it the rest of the day until I got to the hotel in the afternoon for the nightly stop over on that road trip.

It's all about risk. I never worry about a flat tire. If it happens that I get one that I can't fix, then I'll call a tow truck. That's a longshot at best that it would happen.

It's your decision.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
centauri (11-27-2019), ProCycle (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Definitely wouldn't stick with run flats, but that's just me.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around. Very happy with them.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Between 2 C5's and 2 C6's and 10's of thousands of miles traveled away from home with non-runflat tires this last week was the first time ever I needed a tire repaired while on a trip. Woke up to find I had 3 psi in my L/R, didn't look flat but alas it had a nail in it. Aired it up with my portable compressor drove to get breakfast then to find a tire shop that could fix it promptly. First guy was a dick and said, "maybe by 5pm" it was 10am. 2nd stop, Local Wally World didn't have an automotive department. Found a Firestone dealer who did it within the hour for under $30. Walked across the street and grabbed a cold beer while we waited.

I had a plug kit but didn't want to do that unless I was desperate.

get a GOOD portable compressor, pressure gage and repair kit and drive on
The following users liked this post:
OkieBikerDude (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

IMO it comes down to driving habits and personal choice. There is no doubt none run flats (normally) provide a quieter and smoother ride. However, I personally prefer the run flats due to frequently taking long road trips, often on some very desolate roads like the Terrestrial Highway. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm repairing a tire out in the middle of no where in 100 degree plus heat. This was exactly what would have happened a few years back during one of our trips; however, due to having run flats, I was able to drive a little over 50 miles and get the tire fixed while we had lunch in an air conditioned restaurant.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Its totally up to you whether you feel comfortable driving around with no spare on non-run flat tires. I would suggest looking into the Michelin run flats if you are not
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just replaced all 4 tires, with non run flats, found the ride nice and smooth, and I think better handling.
Just make sure you are AAA member, and have plug kit and compressor.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 10-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
IMO it comes down to driving habits and personal choice. There is no doubt none run flats (normally) provide a quieter and smoother ride. However, I personally prefer the run flats due to frequently taking long road trips, often on some very desolate roads like the Terrestrial Highway. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm repairing a tire out in the middle of no where in 100 degree plus heat. This was exactly what would have happened a few years back during one of our trips; however, due to having run flats, I was able to drive a little over 50 miles and get the tire fixed while we had lunch in an air conditioned restaurant.

with my luck it will go flat on me , if it does how to you put the plug in ?

Sure as heck can't get a jack under it if it goes all the way flat

Never had a flat in all the years I have been driving and this year I have had two on my Vette and one on my wife's car which also has run flats.. on my wife's car something caused the sidewall to blow on the front left tire with no warning while traveling 80 mph on a highway but because of the run flats we safely were able to slow down and get off at the next exit . All without wrecking her very expensive rims . I later learned that it was caused by a defect in the tire ....

I bought Michlen Pilot Super Sports run flats for the Vette and in the year I have owned them I have picked up a large nail in the rear tire and a few weeks later a self tapping screw in the front tire , what are the chances .... both times the TPMS lit up to let me know and I slowed down and proceeded to the nearest Discount Tire

With my luck I am sticking with Run flats.....the Michelins on the Vette and the Brigstones on my wife's car are quiet enough for me and handle well in any kind of weather

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

I recently bought 4 new Hankook Ventus V12 evo K120’s for my 2012 Grand Sport. These are non runflats. I love the smooth ride! I paid $853 after a $100 online rebate. FYI, I don’t track my car so these work well for me.
Joe
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Jaydubgt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I do have a question about what to carry. I get the compressor, the can of Fix-A-Flat, but how do the patch kits work?

Can you apply a patch to the tire while it's still on the car? The patch kits I'm aware of you need to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Obviously, can't do that on the side of the road.

BTW, I put the Michelin Super Sports on the Shelby that I sold to get the new to me 2013 GS, and those tires are great. A bit pricey, but worth it IMHO.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole

with my luck it will go flat on me , if it does how to you put the plug in ?

Sure as heck can't get a jack under it if it goes all the way flat

Never had a flat in all the years I have been driving and this year I have had two on my Vette and one on my wife's car which also has run flats.. on my wife's car something caused the sidewall to blow on the front left tire with no warning while traveling 80 mph on a highway but because of the run flats we safely were able to slow down and get off at the next exit . All without wrecking her very expensive rims . I later learned that it was caused by a defect in the tire ....

I bought Michlen Pilot Super Sports run flats for the Vette and in the year I have owned them I have picked up a large nail in the rear tire and a few weeks later a self tapping screw in the front tire , what are the chances .... both times the TPMS lit up to let me know and I slowed down and proceeded to the nearest Discount Tire

With my luck I am sticking with Run flats.....the Michelins on the Vette and the Brigstones on my wife's car are quiet enough for me and handle well in any kind of weather

Dave
I agree. In the past 10 years I've had several flats on my trucks, either from screws that dropped off someone's truck or sharp stones that worked their way through. Last time was two years ago on the x-way in the afternoon. Pulled over as far as I could, but cars were whizzing by me a few feet away at 70 MPH or more. Was not fun.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I do have a question about what to carry. I get the compressor, the can of Fix-A-Flat, but how do the patch kits work?

Can you apply a patch to the tire while it's still on the car? The patch kits I'm aware of you need to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Obviously, can't do that on the side of the road.

BTW, I put the Michelin Super Sports on the Shelby that I sold to get the new to me 2013 GS, and those tires are great. A bit pricey, but worth it IMHO.
I'm assuming they're talking about plugs, not patches. With the plugs, you clean the hole out with a tool, then insert a plug with a special glue that bonds instantly. As others have said, they can last as long as the tire does.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I have no experience with the run flats on a Corvette but I had them on my Cadillac ATS and absolutely hated the ride they produced .

In all fairness I never had anything else on that car as the lease expired before they did but they were my first experience with run flats and very well may be my last.

When I bought my 2010 GS back in July the dealer had just put brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on and again, without having anything to compare them to, I am very happy with them and would have to be persuaded to change to another brand when the time comes to replace them, but one thing for sure, whatever the brand they will not be run flats.

Last edited by danzio56; 10-18-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jaydubgt
I do have a question about what to carry. I get the compressor, the can of Fix-A-Flat
Don't use Fix a Flat ...ruins the TPMS sensor and makes a mess on the rim that is almost impossible to clean up and most tire repair places will not "patch" a tire that has it in it

it's a temporary repair that makes a mess

Dave
Jaydubgt (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by danzio56
I have no experience with the run flats on a Corvette but I had them on my Cadillac ATS and absolutely hated the ride they produced
What brand tire was on your ATS ?
My wife's AMG had Continental's and because they were so quiet and handled so well I was hard pressed to tell that they were runflats . I only found out that they were when I asked were the spare was lol .....
I replaced them with Brigstones Runflats at the recommendation of my Discount Tire manager, he said that they were a better tire and if I did not like them he would exchange them for what ever tire I wanted .... he was right, these tires are much more quieter and handle fantastic

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats or Not?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

3 cars, none with spares, none with runflats (Carmax replaced all 4 on the C6 before I bought it). Had a valve stem pop on rr of 911 making a left turn, pulled over immediately but bead had unseated and the OEM compressor wasn't powerful enough to reseat it so I had to call a flatbed. Those little 12V compressors have limitations.

I never go over 100 miles from home in our cars. Prefer to rent for longer trips as whatever happens the rental company will send out a replacement vehicle with little interruption to the trip.

I run all-seasons on all my cars, I don't do track and it rains a ton here. I'm more concerned with safety than high performance.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
What brand tire was on your ATS ?
My wife's AMG had Continental's and because they were so quiet and handled so well I was hard pressed to tell that they were runflats . I only found out that they were when I asked were the spare was lol .....
I replaced them with Brigstones Runflats at the recommendation of my Discount Tire manager, he said that they were a better tire and if I did not like them he would exchange them for what ever tire I wanted .... he was right, these tires are much more quieter and handle fantastic

Dave
I'm not positive but I think they were Pirelli's. It was a company leased vehicle and I hardly touched it, other than pushing the start button .
Dcasole (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I went with non run flats for my 3rd set and would never go back.

Quick Reply: Run Flats or Not?