C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Default *

My optima red top is 3 1/2 years old and still reads 12.6 volts...I will get another red top when I have to replace it...WW
Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My OEM Delco in my 2013 is still going strong.
I avoid Walmart like the plague. The words Walmart & Corvette don't belong in the same sentence together.

Last edited by Scuba Ghost; 10-20-2017 at 07:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
exracer28 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
My OEM Delco in my 2013 is still going strong.
I avoid Walmart like the plague. The words Walmart & Corvette don't belong in the same sentence together.
Even though Delco and Walmart batteries are both made by Johnson Control? Do you avoid saving money buying Mobil 1 oil at Walmart?
The following 4 users liked this post by EVRose:
Bruze (10-20-2017), FortMorganAl (10-21-2017), Welker1 (10-20-2017), WW7 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Even though Delco and Walmart batteries are both made by Johnson Control? Do you avoid saving money buying Mobil 1 oil at Walmart?
I avoid buying at Wally World too. But probably for different reasons. Lets face it, in most cases the battery that's bought at Wal-Mart today could have been sold at an Auto Zone...(or Sears....or Advanced...etc...etc)... several years earlier, but under a different name.....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I avoid buying at Wally World too. But probably for different reasons. Lets face it, in most cases the battery that's bought at Wal-Mart today could have been sold at an Auto Zone...(or Sears....or Advanced...etc...etc)... several years earlier, but under a different name.....
??? you are saying walmart sells second hand batteries??
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jshot00
The battery core yes. But the same should be said about EVERY battery retailer.

I went with an Autozone battery over Walmart simply because of the marginally better and quicker customer service.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by EVRose
We belong to Costco so I buy the Mobil1 there. Also AutoZone runs pretty good deals on Mobil1 that include an oil filter or they have the Mobil1 filter on sale at the same time.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:57 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jshot00
Sorry...I should have been more precise. I'm saying that all auto stores may/can/do carry second hand batteries. As Txrx stated, it may be just the cores....might be the housing....terminals...etc...etc. Thats why they always want your old batt as a core......
Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Alpinestarz07
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interstate all the way...30 month no prorate warranty and 6 year total..MTP-90 T5

Last edited by Alpinestarz07; 10-20-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:02 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Sorry...I should have been more precise. I'm saying that all auto stores may/can/do carry second hand batteries. As Txrx stated, it may be just the cores....might be the housing....terminals...etc...etc. Thats why they always want your old batt as a core......
I believe it's mandated by the government that all batteries sold must have a core returned, this is for recycling and to keep people from just tossing them in a field somewhere.... That's why they make you pay if no core is returned......WW
Old 10-20-2017, 05:07 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I believe it's mandated by the government that all batteries sold must have a core returned, this is for recycling and to keep people from just tossing them in a field somewhere.... That's why they make you pay if no core is returned......WW
Old 10-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Yes, it's all about the lead.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Same could be said for alternators, water pumps, almost any other part!!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:25 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The idea that you could remove the core of a battery and install it in a new case is ludicrous. As a battery discharges lead sulfate is formed and will, at times, flake off. Once it flakes off the plates it can not be restored so the battery will lose capacity. If the plates of a battery have deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to hold the charge of a new battery, taking them out and putting them in a new case is going to change nothing. The plates need to be removed, melted down, and cast into new plates. Do that and the battery is not much different from virgin lead. That's what a recycler does with old batteries, not somehow hide the old deteriorated plates in a shiny new case.

OP, there isn't a lot of difference between the models the few remaining manufacturers put on their batteries except the price. Optima and Walmart batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. People think Optima is better because it costs twice as much but the fact is the operational difference is minimal for like batteries. There is a difference between deep discharge batteries like an Optima Yellow Top that is designed for racing vehicles without a charging system. The plates are less prone to flaking but they also produce less starting power. There are other exotic designs that are also inappropriate for a standard passenger car like the C6.

The reason your batteries are only lasting 2 years is because you are abusing them by discharging them. ANY discharge of a lead acid battery even the self discharge sitting on a shelf causes lead sulfate to form with some flaking off. That is why Interstate Batteries rotates their stock every 30 days. If it sits on a shelf for 30 days Interstate melts it down and starts over. But even that is only worth a few dollars to me. Finally had to replace the factory battery in my 2007 a couple of years ago and went with Autozone because I don't plan on keeping the car for another 7 years and the few months of life lost due to sitting on the shelf wasn't worth the effort to me.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
Attachment 48337678
Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
The idea that you could remove the core of a battery and install it in a new case is ludicrous. As a battery discharges lead sulfate is formed and will, at times, flake off. Once it flakes off the plates it can not be restored so the battery will lose capacity. If the plates of a battery have deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to hold the charge of a new battery, taking them out and putting them in a new case is going to change nothing. The plates need to be removed, melted down, and cast into new plates. Do that and the battery is not much different from virgin lead. That's what a recycler does with old batteries, not somehow hide the old deteriorated plates in a shiny new case.

OP, there isn't a lot of difference between the models the few remaining manufacturers put on their batteries except the price. Optima and Walmart batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. People think Optima is better because it costs twice as much but the fact is the operational difference is minimal for like batteries. There is a difference between deep discharge batteries like an Optima Yellow Top that is designed for racing vehicles without a charging system. The plates are less prone to flaking but they also produce less starting power. There are other exotic designs that are also inappropriate for a standard passenger car like the C6.

The reason your batteries are only lasting 2 years is because you are abusing them by discharging them. ANY discharge of a lead acid battery even the self discharge sitting on a shelf causes lead sulfate to form with some flaking off. That is why Interstate Batteries rotates their stock every 30 days. If it sits on a shelf for 30 days Interstate melts it down and starts over. But even that is only worth a few dollars to me. Finally had to replace the factory battery in my 2007 a couple of years ago and went with Autozone because I don't plan on keeping the car for another 7 years and the few months of life lost due to sitting on the shelf wasn't worth the effort to me.
OK....I must be missing something here. If the core plates are melted down and then cast into new plates and put into a new case whether it be a new or recond case, then isn't the core being "re-used" or "re-cycled"........
Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

you guys ever here of using epsom salt to restore a battery?

Get notified of new replies

To Walmart Batteries

Old 10-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LowRyter
you guys ever here of using epsom salt to restore a battery?
No, but in recent years, I've read that there really isn't any way of bringing a battery back to life. Can anybody confirm or refute?

In an earlier life we used to drain the acid out and put new acid in thinking this would do it (or at least help) but apparently that old idea is bogus too.

However, when I was young and didn't have much money, I did a lot of things just to get by. At this age, I don't need to dick around with batteries, etc., -- when they're fading I just buy a new one.

Aside from my '51 tractor, various motorcycles, and boat, I have not had to buy a battery for any of my trucks in longer than I can remember (40+ years?). I trade them in when they have 30-40k miles but they are NEVER on a maintainer, and I make a lot of short (5 mile) trips.

My new 2017 truck has a lot of electronic crap on it, so maybe I won't get so lucky with this one.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:02 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Alpinestarz07
Interstate all the way...30 month no prorate warranty and 6 year total..MTP-90 T5
I personally have not had great luck with Interstate. True, they have the warranty, but it's still a pita when they fail.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Let's remember that Interstate is a brand and not a manufacturer. "Not that there's anything wrong with that"

Quick Reply: Walmart Batteries