C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Cabin Heat Gain

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:59 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 150 Posts

Default C6 Cabin Heat Gain

C6 owners know that unwanted engine heat migrating to the passenger compartment is a major issue. It's no big deal if you drive primarily in winter months, but for most owners, it's a warm weather car. Here's what I did to my '11GS to cut down heat gain.

1) Insulated the exhaust tunnel with a 1/2" mat that has a reflective aluminum coating.
2) Clamped a aluminum heat shield to the top of the exh pipes (starting at the front flanges) back to the rear of the passenger compartment.
3) Wrapped, with header wrap, the short section of exh pipe from the cat converters to the front flanges.
4). Fashioned aluminum heat shields in between the cats and the frame section that connects with the center tunnel. This dramatically reduced the heat being convected into the tunnel as the cats can operate at 1500 degrees and they are only a couple inches from the frame.
5). Added insulation to the interior of the car.

This combination of 'additions' has dramatically reduced heat gain. It took time and patience, but not much cost. I hope others find it useful. -DJ
The following users liked this post:
6SpeedTA95 (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

All good advice. Thank You.

Quick Reply: C6 Cabin Heat Gain