C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Audio Swap

What am I going to need to do a radio swap on my 2011 GS? Harness control box etc. I was talking to a guy at a audio shop today and he was saying that I can't retain my OEM XM antenna I think he's wrong.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks. I'm thinking of going to the aftermarket one and trying to find a location for it that will work better.
The following 2 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
GRCTampa (10-22-2017), TheDEfan (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM
TheDEfan
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks. I'm thinking of going to the aftermarket one and trying to find a location for it that will work better.
Awesome Thanks
Old 10-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Fred just a comment on the reception issue ,I dont think its the ANT position as my reception stinks also

Not just in the Corvette but also my company car which has a shark fin and are both XM but it's way better in my wife's car which is Sirius.[not sure where the ANT is on this one ]

Just like Sat. TV you need a direct line of sight and here in North GA with all the trees etc that can be tough . I think I remember reading that the Sirrus SAT. was in a better position overhead than the XM ....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-22-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:28 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Fred just a comment on the reception issue ,I dont think its the ANT position as my reception stinks also

Not just in the Corvette but also my company car which has a shark fin and are both XM but it's way better in my wife's car which is Sirius.[not sure where the ANT is on this one ]

Just like Sat. TV you need a direct line of sight and here in North GA with all the trees etc that can be tough . I think I remember reading that the Sirrus SAT. was in a better position overhead than the XM ....

Dave
Thanks Dave, I agree with you. But I have seen a recent thread where guys say they have eliminated drops by running the antenna to certain locations like the steel rear bumper behind the taillights. They say attaching it to something metal helps reception. I don't know if it will work but it may be worth a try if I ever get around to it.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Thanks Dave, I agree with you. But I have seen a recent thread where guys say they have eliminated drops by running the antenna to certain locations like the steel rear bumper behind the taillights. They say attaching it to something metal helps reception. I don't know if it will work but it may be worth a try if I ever get around to it.
Fred If you ever get it done ... let me know how it works

Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Fred If you ever get it done ... let me know how it works

Dave
Will do. I've noticed also that my Sirius cars or trucks always perform better too. I have new speakers coming for the rear. When I get around to installing them I may try to run the Xm antenna also. I'll let you know the results.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Here is the thread I mentioned,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-solved.html
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (10-22-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:31 PM
TheDEfan
Pro

Got everything I need but do I connect the ground, acc, and hot to the car or to the harness?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 PM
custompainter99
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default audio swap

subscribed..going to do mine eventually
Old 10-26-2017, 09:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheDEfan
Got everything I need but do I connect the ground, acc, and hot to the car or to the harness?
Hook up everything via the harness. There’s no cutting into the cars wiring.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:39 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I dug up this old thread for you. Should help you or anyone else with an install. It was done by Dennis when he was still a vender here. It was meant for his paying customers but here it is anyway.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 10-28-2017, 09:34 AM
TheDEfan
Pro

I dug up this old thread for you. Should help you or anyone else with an install. It was done by Dennis when he was still a vender here. It was meant for his paying customers but here it is anyway.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Awesome Thanks. I got it all installed works great. I still need to hook up the XM to the antenna and I'll do the cameras later. Pretty much a plug play.

Get notified of new replies

To Audio Swap

Quick Reply: Audio Swap