C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 AM
jna10
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Backup Camera

I recently purchased a 2012 Corvette GS coupe with the paddle shift automatic. I want to install a backup camera that will integrate with the GPS navigation/AM/FM screen or the inside rearview mirror with auto dimming and compass. What are my options without having to disable any of the existing features. Any after market kit that would be compatible?
The following users liked this post:
Ballgame (11-10-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jna10
I recently purchased a 2012 Corvette GS coupe with the paddle shift automatic. I want to install a backup camera that will integrate with the GPS navigation/AM/FM screen or the inside rearview mirror with auto dimming and compass. What are my options without having to disable any of the existing features. Any after market kit that would be compatible?

http://www.navtool.com/

From what you want to achieve you are rather limited with interfacing with your OEM head unit and or auto dimming OnStar mirror.

I installed the mirror head type on 2 of our vehicles. I still don't have one on the Corvette though since I want to keep it as unmodified as possible so still looking for alternatives myself.

One of the units I installed has a 5" touch screen the other a 7". The installs look factory but they didn't replace an OnStar or auto-dimming mirror. The prices ranged from $180 to $240 from AliExpress.

The features of the mirror type heads included GPS, Blue Tooth, backup camera, Hi-def PVR dash cam and were a hard wired install so no visible wires or cigarette lighter adaptors.

Last edited by Icecap; 10-29-2017 at 12:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icecap:
corvette312 (11-06-2017), jna10 (10-31-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 04:34 PM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't mention how much you were willing to spend. You could always do as I did and have your OEM head unit modified internally to provide two video ports. I have been very happy with mine for more than a year. Here is the outfit that can do it: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-MOD01...ification.html Otherwise, there are a few people that have modified the sun visor on the driver's side to accomodate a video screen (do a search on the Forum).
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

I went with a wi-fi camera that reads/displays on my Iphone.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Lew Shaw
You didn't mention how much you were willing to spend. You could always do as I did and have your OEM head unit modified internally to provide two video ports. I have been very happy with mine for more than a year. Here is the outfit that can do it: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-MOD01...ification.html Otherwise, there are a few people that have modified the sun visor on the driver's side to accomodate a video screen (do a search on the Forum).
How is the resolution ? I always thought the stock HU screen was too low res to do this. Can you post up a pic ?
Nevermind, $1,100 is just crazy. You can get a full featured Pioneer/Alpine and still have plenty left over for new speakers for that money.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 10-29-2017 at 10:27 PM.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
How is the resolution ? I always thought the stock HU screen was too low res to do this. Can you post up a pic ?
Nevermind, $1,100 is just crazy. You can get a full featured Pioneer/Alpine and still have plenty left over for new speakers for that money.
I agree, you can get Pioneers top of the line system for that price which is what I did on mine. I bought the Pioneer AVIC-8201 NEX and have much more features than the stock unit, plus it also comes with the rear view camera. They say $1300 for the unit on Pioneers web site but I got mine at Best Buy on sale for $936. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...n/AVIC-8201NEX Here's a photo of my install

Last edited by madsonp; 10-30-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added photo
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Lew Shaw
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you can install an aftermarket system (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) but I understood the OP wants to avoid any visible non-OEM components and any loss of OEM functions. I have the Kenwood 893S in my Ram and I don’t find it significantly better in resolution nor do I find it’s Garmin based navigation markedly superior. As far as the cost of the modification goes, I have a friend who owns an audio store and he had my unit modified at his dealer cost which was much less than what “madsonp” paid for his Pioneer head unit. All that being said, even if the clarity and simplicity of an aftermarket unit was superior, I was NOT willing to give up the ability of my navigation to appear on the Heads-Up display. Now, let’s get off this subject and return to the OP’s question regarding the means of adding cameras without losing any OEM appearance or function.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 01:16 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lew Shaw
Yes, you can install an aftermarket system (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) but I understood the OP wants to avoid any visible non-OEM components and any loss of OEM functions. I have the Kenwood 893S in my Ram and I don’t find it significantly better in resolution nor do I find it’s Garmin based navigation markedly superior. As far as the cost of the modification goes, I have a friend who owns an audio store and he had my unit modified at his dealer cost which was much less than what “madsonp” paid for his Pioneer head unit. All that being said, even if the clarity and simplicity of an aftermarket unit was superior, I was NOT willing to give up the ability of my navigation to appear on the Heads-Up display. Now, let’s get off this subject and return to the OP’s question regarding the means of adding cameras without losing any OEM appearance or function.
I guess I should have paid attention to what year his car was, mine being a 2005, the stock navigation system is pretty lame ( low resolution no bluetooth, no iPod/iphone connection options no backup camera etc.) so it was very justifiable to me to swap mine out for a new system. His being 2012 navigation system I'm sure is better than my 2005 stock system and probably has these options with the exception of the camera of course.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-30-2017 at 01:17 PM.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:33 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I guess I should have paid attention to what year his car was, mine being a 2005, the stock navigation system is pretty lame ( low resolution no bluetooth, no iPod/iphone connection options no backup camera etc.) so it was very justifiable to me to swap mine out for a new system. His being 2012 navigation system I'm sure is better than my 2005 stock system and probably has these options with the exception of the camera of course.
Madsonp, you made the right decision. I have a 2012 with the Bose system, and it's almost the same thing that came in your 2005. It was embarrassingly bad especially by 2012 standards. I also went with the Pioneer 8200nex and it was a huge improvement. Far superior to the stock nav head unit in every possible way. Better sound quality, great graphics, features galore, and much improved usability.

If the OP wants to stay with the stock system, no problem but it's good to know that there are other options out there. If you buy the right wiring harness interface it's basically a plug and play upgrade and you can always hold on to the stock head unit if you ever want to put it pack in. Or sell it to offset some of the cost of the new unit.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 10:20 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Madsonp, you made the right decision. I have a 2012 with the Bose system, and it's almost the same thing that came in your 2005. It was embarrassingly bad especially by 2012 standards. I also went with the Pioneer 8200nex and it was a huge improvement. Far superior to the stock nav head unit in every possible way. Better sound quality, great graphics, features galore, and much improved usability.

If the OP wants to stay with the stock system, no problem but it's good to know that there are other options out there. If you buy the right wiring harness interface it's basically a plug and play upgrade and you can always hold on to the stock head unit if you ever want to put it pack in. Or sell it to offset some of the cost of the new unit.
Yep, I kept the stock system from mine and if I ever sell the car, I'll pull the stock system back in and keep the Pioneer for my next vette.
jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
http://www.navtool.com/

From what you want to achieve you are rather limited with interfacing with your OEM head unit and or auto dimming OnStar mirror.

I installed the mirror head type on 2 of our vehicles. I still don't have one on the Corvette though since I want to keep it as unmodified as possible so still looking for alternatives myself.

One of the units I installed has a 5" touch screen the other a 7". The installs look factory but they didn't replace an OnStar or auto-dimming mirror. The prices ranged from $180 to $240 from AliExpress.

The features of the mirror type heads included GPS, Blue Tooth, backup camera, Hi-def PVR dash cam and were a hard wired install so no visible wires or cigarette lighter adaptors.
You need to read up on all the negative feedback that NAVTOOL has received (here and other forums) and why they are no longer a vendor here before you recommend them to anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by RC4G:
exracer28 (11-01-2017), jna10 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 AM
jna10
Heel & Toe

Default Backup Camera

I agree, you can get Pioneers top of the line system for that price which is what I did on mine. I bought the Pioneer AVIC-8201 NEX and have much more features than the stock unit, plus it also comes with the rear view camera. They say $1300 for the unit on Pioneers web site but I got mine at Best Buy on sale for $936. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...n/AVIC-8201NEX Here's a photo of my install

This seems to be the best option. A little pricy with the installation but I want it to look right.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 AM
jna10
Heel & Toe

Yep, I kept the stock system from mine and if I ever sell the car, I'll pull the stock system back in and keep the Pioneer for my next vette.
This is the option I'm leaning toward. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jna10
This is the option I'm leaning toward. Thanks for the reply.

Believe me, you won't regret it. In addition to the Pioneer system you'll also need one of these to interface the Pioneer with your car https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP5...e.html?tp=3486 and one of these mounting kits https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120953...t.html?tp=3121 Do some shopping around and you can save money on everything you need. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by madsonp; 11-01-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks.

Also, check out this DIY thread on head unit install for C6,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-01-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Also, Pioneer 8201 is on Amazon for $854. Or the 8200 for $800. They are both the same head unit, just the 8201 comes with the Pioneer backup camera in the box.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with Navtool, a used C7 rear camera and an ebay front camera, total cost was less than $300 and it kept the factory appearance.

Originally Posted by RC4G
You need to read up on all the negative feedback that NAVTOOL has received (here and other forums) and why they are no longer a vendor here before you recommend them to anyone.
I went the NAVTOOL route, purchased the $200 kit, received it very quickly. I had a few questions and they were also answered promptly. I have no complaints (this was 4 months ago)
Attached Images     

Last edited by ZEEEE 06; 11-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 AM
sboblett
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Back up camera

I also went with the Navtool mod on my 05 C6 and a nice inexpensive license plate camera and am well pleased. (http://www.navtool.com/chevrolet-cor...-category.aspx) There are zillions of posts on here about this system but everything went well for me. The install of the board in the existing Nav/Radio was straight forward and no problem if you have basic experience with this type of thing. I had a friend in the electronics business do mine the first time but had to move things myself to make it fit neatly during the re install. It works great but the resolution of the stock radio and screen is not as sharp as the newer radios but this is not a problem for me. It does the job perfectly backing into my garage or parking anywhere. All totaled the cost including camera was less than $250.00. If I can help anyone, give me a shout.

Get notified of new replies

To Backup Camera

Quick Reply: Backup Camera