C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer with my C6, having trouble finding replacement headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

the aftermarket is your friend, folks. Even if the dealer had them available, the price would give you a heart attack.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i went through this a year ago after a hit-and-run. I will tell you that the "let insurance handle it" advice is misinformed. My insurance handled the repair through local Chevy dealer--after getting run around for over a month; I found a suitable replacement through Corvette Recycling. I had to order and pay for up front; reimbursement was worked out through insurance/dealer. Good luck!!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampa
i went through this a year ago after a hit-and-run. I will tell you that the "let insurance handle it" advice is misinformed. My insurance handled the repair through local Chevy dealer--after getting run around for over a month; I found a suitable replacement through Corvette Recycling. I had to order and pay for up front; reimbursement was worked out through insurance/dealer. Good luck!!

"Let the insurance handle it", and the car will be sitting in a corner of the body shop (hopefully inside) for months.

Like there is someone at the insurance company who will drop everything and hunt high and low for some used C6 headlight assemblies. Bet the body shop too, has someone who can't wait to get right on this one.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Not debating whether this looks good or not but it is an option....

Old 11-01-2017, 09:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by rkj427
I can add that FCA (Chrysler) does NOT follow the "old traditional" parts available for 7 years after production of a particular vehicle platform ends either, although the parts for a Dodge, Ram, or Chrysler should be more readily available than a Corvette...............
I thought it was seven years, too.

But I guess when I think about it, as said by Blind Spot, the actual number of painted headlights that GM would have to carry would be too high. Maybe primered, unsealed, ready-to-paint but even that's a stretch.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 510C6
Hi all,

I hit a deer doing about 60mph in my 2005 Magnetic Red (86U) C6 the other day. The car is in the body shop now being repaired, but we are having trouble locating replacement headlights. Some of the mounting points are apparently broken and the whole assemblies need to be replaced.

I was told over the phone (GM Parts Direct) that the headlight assembly has been discontinued.

How does someone go about getting a replacement for these? Are we expected to scrap the whole 'vette and get a new one if we break a part which is no longer produced? I have an inquiry in with CorvetteRecycling, but I'm not sure how far that will go.

Maybe a good motivator to upgrade to the C7...

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
I had this issue with my C6 in July when it was hit...took 1.5 months to get an OEM replacement headlight assembly. GM has a sub-contractor that still makes them but they only turn on the production line after they get enough orders which is about once a month. My body shop hated it because they were all set after about 12 days to assemble the car but couldn't due to the headlight assembly.

It was a painful wait.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I called a dealer here Tuesday and the parts guy said he could get them shipped over night..$1250 plus tax each complete unit including the wiring harness.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

My issue was color. They could find black and red but my car is white and there were none left so we had to wait.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:00 PM
510C6
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I was able to find a pair used in good condition.

Amazingly, the car wasn't damaged as much as you'd think. The deer pretty much exploded at that speed, so it only contacted the bumper, hood, and lights. It's well insured, and I trust the shop who's working on it a lot, so I'm looking forward to my brand new shiny front end. Initial estimate was around $4k.

This happened on a two-lane divided freeway at 3am, it was pitch black and I only saw about 1 frame of deer-in-front-of-me before the impact. It was surprisingly loud.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:21 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I was able to find a pair used in good condition.

Amazingly, the car wasn't damaged as much as you'd think. The deer pretty much exploded at that speed, so it only contacted the bumper, hood, and lights. It's well insured, and I trust the shop who's working on it a lot, so I'm looking forward to my brand new shiny front end. Initial estimate was around $4k.

This happened on a two-lane divided freeway at 3am, it was pitch black and I only saw about 1 frame of deer-in-front-of-me before the impact. It was surprisingly loud.
Nice..... not to rain on your parade but check them over really good before you take possession of the car from the body shop to be sure they are not glazing or all scratched up. make sure you inspect them with the headlights on and off.

I've seen used ones look okay until the headlights were on and then they didn't look so good.

Last edited by IDSRVIT; 11-01-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi all,

I hit a deer doing about 60mph in my 2005 Magnetic Red (86U) C6 the other day. The car is in the body shop now being repaired, but we are having trouble locating replacement headlights. Some of the mounting points are apparently broken and the whole assemblies need to be replaced.

I was told over the phone (GM Parts Direct) that the headlight assembly has been discontinued.

How does someone go about getting a replacement for these? Are we expected to scrap the whole 'vette and get a new one if we break a part which is no longer produced? I have an inquiry in with CorvetteRecycling, but I'm not sure how far that will go.

Maybe a good motivator to upgrade to the C7...

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
I have a set of white ones I'll sell you,lol
Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I called a dealer here Tuesday and the parts guy said he could get them shipped over night..$1250 plus tax each complete unit including the wiring harness.
Most of them will tell you that until the order is placed then they find out how rare these headlights are.

Some dealers may have a better "in" than others also...
Old 11-02-2017, 02:12 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Most of them will tell you that until the order is placed then they find out how rare these headlights are.

Some dealers may have a better "in" than others also...
I was told color matters too.... Red & black are pretty readily available...........yellow, white, jet stream blue and sunset orange are pretty sparse.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
I was told color matters too.... Red & black are pretty readily available...........yellow, white, jet stream blue and sunset orange are pretty sparse.
My vette is black and he said 'One' of the warehouses had a few sets of them.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer with my C6, having trouble finding replacement headlights