C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade/customize or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Upgrade/customize or trade?

Not wanting to start a C6/C7 flame thread or another competitive urination discussion, but comparing the pros and cons of customizing a C6 or trading for a C7...

Situation- Have an '09 2LT M6 convertible that is relatively low miles at 23k. To date, it has been very reliable other than a couple of low-level nits. The option is to either upgrade and customize the '09 or trade for a new 2LT Z06 convertible. The trade option puts me coming out of pocket for about $55k after all is said and done for a new (albeit A8 vice M6) car with huge differences in performance, interior and with a full warranty. My thoughts are conflicted (plus having trouble convincing SWMBO to trade) hence the post here...

End goal is a great performing, comfortable driver with no track plans. Given just half of the delta is roughly $25k, that seems to me like a LOT of cheddar to spend to update the trusted and proven C6. $4k for stereo and interior upgrades, $14k for forced induction and performance upgrades, $3k for brakes and another $4k for suspension tweaks.

Posing the question to those that have actually updated their C6 and those that may have instead jumped to the C7. Has it been worth it? Are my guesses for upgrades out of line?

I love the looks of the C6 but drawn to the performance, comfort and gadget factor of the C7. Not encouraged by the heat and reported transmission issues reported by some C7 owners though. Seems like the C6 is a better builder platform with less things (computers) to fail and possibly better in the long run...

Lot of debate points, posting here to listen to those that have possibly been down both roads.

Thoughts??

Allen
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

This is a tough question to ask. I know I personally cannot keep a car bone stock whether it comes to performance or looks so I know even if I paid the extra 55k for a C7 I would end up throwing another 25k into it. If you are alright with driving a stock Z06 I would go for it. The C7 is a beautiful car but rather small for me (6'3).
Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

IMO of course: C6 Z06 (because of looks) > C7 Z06 >>> Base C6.

I had a base C6 before upgrading to my C6 Z06 a couple months ago. I knew I could have bolted on a S/C and outperform both the C6 Z06 and the C7 Z06. I did want the added performance, but I also wanted the looks of the Z06. The wide body makes such a huge difference in person. It looks fantastic. I was always jealous every time I saw a wide body C6 pass me by. I was never really interested in the GS because I knew I would regret not getting the Z06. I know I wouldn't be happy with the base C6 over the long haul so I decided to make the jump to the Z06. Best decision I ever made.

In your situation, I would definitely go with the C7 Z06 over the base C6. Like aforementioned, you could outperform the C7 Z06 VERY easily by bolting on an A&A or ECS S/C kit on your C6 and it would cost you around $6,000 (last time I checked). It would be much cheaper than the C7 Z06. I would much rather have the wide body of the C7 Z06 and the improved interior over the base C6 though.

What do you want more? If ALL you care about is performance, it would be MUCH cheaper to upgrade your C6. Everything else is better about the C7 Z06 if you can swing the cost.

Last edited by Frankie15; 11-07-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie15
<Snip>...I did want the added performance, but I also wanted the looks of the Z06. The wide body makes such a huge difference in person...
The odd draw to me (counter to many) is the sleeper look of the "narrow" C6. Not discounting the looks of the wide-body C6 but oddly prefer the other.

My biggest concern is ride quality. The C7 Z06 with fully adjustable suspension is actually the biggest draw for me. My "base" C6 rides nice as a touring package but the option to shift from long-distance tourer to canyon carver is a huge draw.

On the flip side is the ability to build an incredible sleeper- a C6 that could pack 700+ HP reliably for pennies compared to a new ride...

Another question to confuse things- anyone shift from a "base" C6 to a C7 and can speak to comfort on the long haul?? Asking because the intent would be to be a daily driver, city duties but the occasional touring rig...

Allen
Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

I would definitely go with the C7 Z06. You could outperform the C7 Z06 VERY easily by bolting on an A&A or ECS S/C kit on your C6. It would be much cheaper than the C7 Z06. I would much rather have the wide body of the C7 Z06 and the improved interior over the base C6 though.
Upgrade got my vote!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Allen_B
The odd draw to me (counter to many) is the sleeper look of the "narrow" C6. Not discounting the looks of the wide-body C6 but oddly prefer the other.

My biggest concern is ride quality. The C7 Z06 with fully adjustable suspension is actually the biggest draw for me. My "base" C6 rides nice as a touring package but the option to shift from long-distance tourer to canyon carver is a huge draw.

On the flip side is the ability to build an incredible sleeper- a C6 that could pack 700+ HP reliably for pennies compared to a new ride...

Another question to confuse things- anyone shift from a "base" C6 to a C7 and can speak to comfort on the long haul?? Asking because the intent would be to be a daily driver, city duties but the occasional touring rig...

Allen
Can't comment on the suspension as I have never driven a C7 Z06.

If you prefer the looks of the narrow body C6 to a C7 Z06 then I personally think it's a no brainer. It also definitely seems like your leaning more towards that so I would go with your gut. You would be able to outperform the C7 Z06 at a fraction of the cost and have a better looking car in your eyes.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision!

Last edited by Frankie15; 11-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,439 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Magnetic ride control isn't like switching from a canyon carver to a Bentley. It's a really quite minor difference.

At the end of the day, C7Zs aren't holding value well. I'd buy a used C7Z if its what you decided on. That said, there's nothing the C7Z can do on the street the C6 can't, even in base form.
The following users liked this post:
Allen_B (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Magnetic ride control isn't like switching from a canyon carver to a Bentley. It's a really quite minor difference.

At the end of the day, C7Zs aren't holding value well. I'd buy a used C7Z if its what you decided on. That said, there's nothing the C7Z can do on the street the C6 can't, even in base form.
I love the look of the c6,better looking as a whole over the c7. BUT.....if you have never driven a C7 Z06....you REALLY need to,to be able to judge one. My buddy has one he let me drive. My supercharged coupe will run with him from a roll and possibly roadcourse (im on coilovers,aftermarket swaybars,ect)......but from a dig or on the street......not a chance!!! Car shifts ridiculously fast (A8) and HARD...stays in th power til you let off
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I love the look of the c6,better looking as a whole over the c7. BUT.....if you have never driven a C7 Z06....you REALLY need to,to be able to judge one. My buddy has one he let me drive. My supercharged coupe will run with him from a roll and possibly roadcourse (im on coilovers,aftermarket swaybars,ect)......but from a dig or on the street......not a chance!!! Car shifts ridiculously fast (A8) and HARD...stays in th power til you let off
I have driven a Z06 coupe (shopping a 'vert though) which is why I'm even considering trading. I have to admit, it was a big improvement but not as "visceral" as I expected. The ride quality in the Z06 was rougher (as expected) but it also was tested switching between sport and track for the test drive.

Your setup is close to where I want to go- Heartbeat blower along with other engine and M6 transmission (clutch) upgrades, likely coil-overs and upgrade the brakes. All in a narrow-body 'vert package to maintain low-key appearance. With what I would like to do performance wise, pretty confident it would easily surpass a stock Z06 but the other side of the coin is drivability. Again, either way the car will be a daily driver, not tracked or raced especially since both (old or new) would be 'verts...

Allen
Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

You'll chase your tail trying to "mod" your car into what you really want, ultimately give in anyway, and find all the money recently put into your C6 worthless at resale/trade.

Not knocking the C6, it just sounds like you have the C7 bug.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:26 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I've driven them, they are insanely fast. My point was more than to actually use what the C7Z can do, you can't be on the street. If you don't completely crap on the law, there's nothing the C7Z can do that a C6 can't.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

total street car?

keep what you have and don't mess with it. Or get a new one if you are tired of it.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LowRyter
total street car?

keep what you have and don't mess with it. Or get a new one if you are tired of it.
Unsure why a Z06 (especially a rag-top) can't be a street car?

I guess I may have mis-communicated that I may be tired of my '09. The biggest "complaint" I've had with the '09 is the comfort and performance level. I bought it used (in 2012) so have no options on how it was outfitted and the 2LT package in '09 was not even close to the 2LZ package on the current models. In the years since, I have determined I really love the car but want more performance and more creature comforts.

That brings me personally to this decision point and back to the original question. Update, or I guess more accurately customize the C6 or start with a different canvass in the Z06? If I shift to the C7, zero room for upgrades but can't really say what the hell I'd update other than tinting the windows. The upgrades to the C6 are countless and $50k for the difference is a lot of upgrades...

Allen
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

I guess I may have mis-communicated that I may be tired of my '09. The biggest "complaint" I've had with the '09 is the comfort and performance level. I bought it used (in 2012) so have no options on how it was outfitted and the 2LT package in '09 was not even close to the 2LZ package on the current models. In the years since, I have determined I really love the car but want more performance and more creature comforts.

That brings me personally to this decision point and back to the original question. Update, or I guess more accurately customize the C6 or start with a different canvass in the Z06? If I shift to the C7, zero room for upgrades but can't really say what the hell I'd update other than tinting the windows. The upgrades to the C6 are countless and $50k for the difference is a lot of upgrades...

Allen
Honestly, the decision ultimately is up to you. Do you really want to make a decision like this based on the opinion of others? It's definitely going to be mixed. I for one don't care for the sleeper look and love the aggressiveness of the wide body so the C7 Z06 is a no brainer to me in your situation. Someone else might agree with you and love the sleeper look so they will suggest that. At the end of the day, you need to decide what is more important to you.

Will you be happy with your C6 after pumping a substantial amount of money it it to make it faster or do you yearn for the C7 Z06 to have a newer car with a modernized interior?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

So Allen, what is the "VERDICT" ?????
Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I love my '08!!! k It's not a Z06 or a ZR1 but it has enough horsepower for me. The new C7's feel confining to me. Love the front end but don't like the back end at all. C6 for me.
Allen_B (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Allen
they made a C6 convertible that would suit your needs at a lot less money than the C7 Z06.........

427 Convertible, with the 1SC option as most of them have, they were in the 90K range new, and you should be able to find one now with low miles and comparable creature comfort options to the C7 Z06 for somewhere in the 50K range.............. not your car and 50K.....

there are some available, as many wanted the "latest and greatest" C7 even if they made a backwards move.................

just my opinion...............

Last edited by rkj427; 11-08-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Allen_B (11-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade/customize or trade?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:52 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

One thing to note about the above idea with the 427 Vert... That one will almost certainly be a collector item in the not so distant future. The C7Z06, not so much. Heck, resale on the C7Z06 just dropped by thousands of dollars today with the announcement of the C7ZR1

Last edited by FAUEE; 11-08-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

I know 2 owners who have dumped their C7 and gone back to C6, this is a decision only you can make. Leave the emotional thoughts behind.
Allen_B (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette312
So Allen, what is the "VERDICT" ?????
LOL!

Ran the numbers with the War Department. Very long story short, could afford the new Z06 but would either be tight financially or involve using a CD to pay in cash. I'm 30 months from retirement so she is pretty cautious (ok, vehemently opposed) regarding use of a CD...

Yes, I openly admit the financial considerations are in play even with an arguably great price on the new car. Just tough in real dollars to pay for the upgrade to new compared to customizing the existing C6. Also looking at a $1400 per year increase in insurance- yes this will drop when my youngest flies the coop in 18 months but still a decision point. Some may poo-poo these points but is real in my humble abode...

The truth is, I love the look of the C6 but can't argue the improvements with the C7, especially the interiors which is my BIGGEST deciding factor for any vehicle- look at a car all you want, you spend time inside the damn thing. The inarguable reliable HP and performance gains along with daily drivability (crap-load of traffic makes upgrading to an auto a big deal) is also in play. This would be an easier decision if GM hadn't whacked the butt of the C7 with an ugly bat.

Haven't dismissed the C7 but have to say as of today, it is 80/20 in favor of keeping the M6 C6 convertible. I really like the idea of a new C7 but have to wonder if that's due to shiny newness and question the livability day to day, especially with SWMBO not supporting the idea...

The Boss-Lady begrudgingly offers a salient point- I am always distracted by the "next great thing" especially with vehicles. I "settled" with the C6 we have mainly because it was a great opportunity but didn't have what I wanted equipment (interior or performance) wise and understood the downsides of the platform. Yes, that seems confusing but the car we bought was an amazing deal but at the time, a "less than perfect" Corvette was MUCH better than no Corvette and I took advantage of the opportunity when presented.

Today, I see the new Z06 as the pinnacle for "me" with equipment, options and performance but not without detractors especially the cost of entry. Yes, I'm always curious about the new and next great thing, which drives SWMBO nuts. We have gone through a lot of cars and motorcycles but I see them as evolutionary to an ideal. The Z06 to me seems like the 2010 truck we have- Have also looked at new trucks but the one we have is ideal, satisfied with where it is. It's what I like and wanted and this translates to the C7 Z06- have a really tough time seeing the C8 (or C9) exceeding it.

Allen

Quick Reply: Upgrade/customize or trade?