C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 with no fobs, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 08 with no fobs, what can I do?

Hi guys, I just bought another C6 Corvette to dismantle. I did an 05 a couple months ago and it came with a fob so I was able to run, drive, and test everything on the car before dismantling and selling the parts.
So I bought this 08 LS3 - 6MT on copart and the hauler just called me when he was picking it up to tell me they can’t find any fobs. I really like to run the cars I dismantle so I can be confident in what I’m selling.
I have tons of experience with Ferrari 355 and 360 immobilizers and keep an ignition with key and immobilizers with fobs for each of those cars so if they come without keys or fob I can put mine in real quick and get everything running.
I’m not too knowledgeable on the Corvette yet. I’m willing to buy whatever I need new or used to get it running and tested then will save those parts for any other CY Corvette I get without a fob just as I’ve done with Ferraris.
My question is what do I need? I search eBay and find what I think is the immobilizing unit but don’t see any being sold with matching fobs. Isn’t the unit pretty much junk if you don’t have a fob to go with it? On the Ferrari 355 or 360 if you don’t have the pin or a fob that is mated to the immobilizer then the immobilizer is worthless.
Also does the immobilizer pair with the engine ECUs? On the 355 it doesn’t pair and you can just swap in an immobilizer that you have a fob for and you are good but on a 360 the immobilizer pairs with the left side engine ECU so you have to swap in a clean unpaired ECU for your immobilizer to pair with.
Sorry for all the Ferrari analogies but those are what I know and usually deal with, I wasn’t planning on being faced with this on a Corvette. Any information you guys can provide on how the system works and what I need to buy and replace would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a good receiver/immobilizer with a fob for sale please PM me. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

All you need is a fob and an actual key that comes with the fob. Get them on ebay. You can get any fob from 05-13. It doesn't have to be for an 08. You will need to get the key cut at the dealer. Take proof of ownership and I.D. and they will cut a key according to the vin on the car. With that key you will be able to program the fob to match and start the car. You won't have to replace anything.

Last edited by EVRose; 11-08-2017 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DIABLOZ (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

LUCK
DIABLOZ (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:19 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe PM the OP of the salvage flood buy or ask in his thread?

He just did it with no physical key, something about tricking the ecm & using a spare (wife's) fob to program it.

DIABLOZ (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I haven't needed to program one but the Tech 2 has the option if you know somebody who has one or a clone.
DIABLOZ (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by HK770
Looks easy but he says you have to be able to flash the ECU and remove the VATS system. If I could do that I would have the problem in the first place. 😁 Thanks though.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
All you need is a fob and an actual key that comes with the fob. Get them on ebay. You can get any fob from 05-13. It doesn't have to be for an 08. You will need to get the key cut at the dealer. Take proof of ownership and I.D. and they will cut a key according to the vin on the car. With that key you will be able to program the fob to match and start the car. You won't have to replace anything.
My closest dealer is over 80 miles away but I’ll do whatever I need to to get this running and tested so I can guarantee it when I sell it. I’d like to have a system I can keep and use on another C6 if I happen to stumble into this again. I plan to dismantle a few more Corvettes keeping a few parts off each one for my own project and breaking even or making a few bucks while getting my project parts gathered up for only the cost of my labor dismantling.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:33 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by OregonMike
Maybe PM the OP of the salvage flood buy or ask in his thread?

He just did it with no physical key, something about tricking the ecm & using a spare (wife's) fob to program it.

Thanks, I just read through that entire thread. I’m going to order a fob off eBay and send him a pm. Funny, I sold the fobs from the 05 I just dismantled cheap as heck and now I’m probably going to have to pay double what I sold those for to get one. Oh well, just my luck. 😁
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I believe the 2008 uses a different fob then 05 to 07.
Originally Posted by DIABL
Thanks, I just read through that entire thread. I’m going to order a fob off eBay and send him a pm. Funny, I sold the fobs from the 05 I just dismantled cheap as heck and now I’m probably going to have to pay double what I sold those for to get one. Oh well, just my luck. 😁
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by GS057
I believe the 2008 uses a different fob then 05 to 07.
Different on the outside the same on the inside. Any C6 fob will work no matter what year it is.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It's a joke the way they have this setup about needing a key. If you have a fob new or used then you only need access to the inside the car. It could take less than a min, then watch someone drive off in your car.

Last edited by XX; 11-08-2017 at 06:23 PM.
DIABLOZ (11-18-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bad1968ss
It's a joke the way they have this setup about needing a key. If you have a fob new or used then you only need access to the inside the car. It could take less than a min, then watch someone drive off in your car.

Do explain...
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Not exactly. There are three 10 minute wait periods before the fob will program. You also need the key to put the car into program mode.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Not exactly. There are three 10 minute wait periods before the fob will program. You also need the key to put the car into program mode.
No key needed, and only three 10 minute wait periods -if all four fob's are taken. C6 Fob. Short Procedure 5 times, and a few secs done.

Last edited by XX; 11-08-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

It would be a cool trick to pull on someone you know with a c6. Tell em leave your car open, turn your back when you hear it fire up a min or less then wave good bye.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM
EVRose
Race Director

No key needed, and only three 10 minute wait periods -if all four fob's are taken. C6 Fob. Short Procedure 5 times, and a few secs done.
How did you get yours into program mode. Did you take the back carpet out and pull on the cable?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM
EVRose
Race Director

It would be a cool trick to pull on someone you know with a c6. Tell em leave your car open, turn your back when you hear it fire up a min or less then wave good bye.
If it's so easy why do we never hear of C6's being stolen?

Get notified of new replies

To 08 with no fobs, what can I do?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

How did you get yours into program mode. Did you take the back carpet out and pull on the cable?
Well this dumb coon was going to borrow the key cylinder on the wif'es to program her second to the salvage. As I am backing out the second bolt it hit me, like jimmying a door should work.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

If it's so easy why do we never hear of C6's being stolen?
Anyone else can try it, if someone is close to me I will prove it. Maybe cause they don't know, cars are locked, that's another story though and it doesn't take long that way either.

Last edited by XX; 11-08-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 PM
DIABLOZ
Instructor

Ok, here’s an up date. I unloaded the car this morning and started to mess with it.
I got ridiculously exited when I pulled out the floor mats and found a fob from the car. Unfortunately it was a cruel joke and turned out to be a broken case with no electronics inside.

So I put a battery charger on the car and got it juiced up. Nothing would work on the car. When I push the start or accessory button it just says no fob detected. I went through all the fuses in the under hood box and found 3 burnt. I find this is very common with the wrecks I get, they seem to burn fuses upon impact. I checked all the ones in the passenger footwell and found none blown.
Now, I can move the power seats, pop the hatch and gas door, the electric door latches are working intermittently. When I push down on the acc. Button the acc. Only stays on for a second. Like with the windshield wipers on I can push acc. And they will move a little bit, push it again and they move a bit more but the acc. Will not stay on. The stereo,ac controls etc stay dead.

I tried to make it go into program mode for the new fob but when you turn the key 5 times it does nothing. Nothing comes up on the display, all dark and dead.

Are there more hidden fuses somewhere that I might check? Anyone have any idea what’s going on with this thing?

Quick Reply: 08 with no fobs, what can I do?