C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to shift to neutral on auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Daniel C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to shift to neutral on auto

Greetings,

Asking for a friend... we believe his shifter cable is broken and he cannot shift out of park, is there an easy way to shift the transmission to neutral to assist with moving in/out of garage for towing?

thanks in advance,
Old 11-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Daniel C
Intermediate

i should have mentioned, his car is a 2007
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel C
Greetings,

Asking for a friend... we believe his shifter cable is broken and he cannot shift out of park, is there an easy way to shift the transmission to neutral to assist with moving in/out of garage for towing?

thanks in advance,
I'd jack the rear end and use a pair of Harbor Freight wheel dollies, no need to take it out of park, maybe. Also try pushing the shifter fwd before stepping on the brake and pushing the shifter button, some have weak switches in there that cause this issue. Mine has it too but it's minor and I haven't ripped it apart to fix it yet.

Last edited by TonyFaub; 11-09-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyFaub
I'd jack the rear end and use a pair of Harbor Freight wheel dollies, no need to take it out of park, maybe. Also try pushing the shifter fwd before stepping on the brake and pushing the shifter button, some have weak switches in there that cause this issue. Mine has it too but it's minor and I haven't ripped it apart to fix it yet.
I have this also. Just a little pressure to the front and you can hear the lock come off and the shifter can be moved.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You can also try putting it in ACC or Service Only Mode. This worked for me when my shift cable broke.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:06 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Shifter cable is not broken. If it was, the the shifter would move freely. It is locked in park. You need to remove the center console surround to fix it.
Here is a good link to read
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM
micmouse10
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Shifter cable is not broken. If it was, the the shifter would move freely. It is locked in park. You need to remove the center console surround to fix it.
Here is a good link to read
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html
Hello all! Daniel was asking for me. I am not very car literate so Daniel was trying to help me. The shifter does move freely but nothing happens. We have tried the above suggestions and so far no luck. Looks like we will have to get it towed. I do like the wheel Dolly suggestion. Thanks all! Any other suggestions are welcome!!!

Last edited by micmouse10; 11-10-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Addition of clarification
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Try this: Start stepping on the brake pedal- over and over until you hear the shifter start "clicking". Mine used to stick all the time until I put a shifter in it. The day I took it to the dealer to have the new shifter put in it, I had to step on the brake pedal exactly 200 times. It finally came out of park.

It'll come out of park. Just keep stepping on the brake pedal until it does. You'll hear the shifter start clicking when it's ready to come out.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

P.S. I did that for about four years. It would stick periodically. I finally got tired of messing with it.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

With shifter moving cable is broken! You can lift car and move shifter lever on trans its self.
This will be a hard move almost requires removing X pipe.

P R N D l .... not really, but you get idea
Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by micmouse10
Hello all! Daniel was asking for me. I am not very car literate so Daniel was trying to help me. The shifter does move freely but nothing happens. We have tried the above suggestions and so far no luck. Looks like we will have to get it towed. I do like the wheel Dolly suggestion. Thanks all! Any other suggestions are welcome!!!
I'm probably late to answer this for you, but for others that find this in a search, it might help.

If you have a way to lift and securely support the rear of your C7 (jack and jack stands), you could find the lever on the transmission end of the cable and twist/move that lever to the neutral position. Do not crawl or reach under a car supported only by a jack. If you don't have jack stands, don't try this.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by micmouse10
Ok, original said it would not shift out of Park, now you say it moves freely. That is a cable issue, but more then likely, it is the grommet on the shifter itself. There are two grommets. One on the shifter and one on the transmission. To check them the transmission is the easiest. jack the car up and look on the drivers side of the transmission and you will see the cable attachment. it it is connected, then you need to remove the center console surround to have access to the shifter connection. Once that is removed, remove the four nuts holding the shifter itself in place and you can check the cable there. Most likely if the grommet is broken the shifter will pull right out. If it is still attached there will be some resistance. Also if it is still attached, the cable is broken and then you either need to take it to a shop or the dealer, unless you have the ability to get the car raised up.
To replce the cable you need to drop the exhaust system and remove the tunnel plate to gain access to the cable. The cable is only around $50. Labor is the big item.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Daniel C
Intermediate

thank you all for the replies!

-Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To How to shift to neutral on auto

Quick Reply: How to shift to neutral on auto