C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default HUD adjustment

My HUD display seems to have shifted slight toward center of car. The right side of display is almost covered unless I lean left. Is there a way to adjust this?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Chances are that one of your pivot points has broken inside, so you would have to take it apart to fix. There are you tube videos to fix C6 HUD

Good luck
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Hud

I assume you have tried the adjustment on the Left side pod of your steering wheel ?

Last edited by 2008 Corvette; 11-12-2017 at 01:28 AM. Reason: ?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Chances are that one of your pivot points has broken inside, so you would have to take it apart to fix. There are you tube videos to fix C6 HUD

Good luck

Yep

Dave
Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

Good luck
100% Correct, but let me add. If you adjust the display up and down a several times it will fix itself. <maybe>

If you're lucky that will give you about a year more and then one day all the points will ALL break. I decided to pull mine out and fix it, after this:

It takes about 2 minutes to pull the HUD and fix it with stainless screws and washers.

If I still have your interest this far, this is what I recommend. Pulling the dash looks awful, but if you take lots of pictures and do a little web research it's just work. It is not too difficult, but a lot of work!!!

A new HUD is $250, a small price to pay for the hours you just spent and you know it will work. I fixed mine, but then bought new one from Cultrag a forum vendor since I didn't want to do this again.

(There is a cut the AC duct method <see the duct in my pic>, but I don't think it's easier and I don't want to hear whistling noises when the AC is on. )

This site is cited frequently for the details of this:
http://www.kawal.net/Dash%20Replacement.htm
Old 11-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dutch08
:
If I still have your interest this far, this is what I recommend. Pulling the dash looks awful, but if you take lots of pictures and do a little web research it's just work. It is not too difficult, but a lot of work!!!

(There is a cut the AC duct method <see the duct in my pic>, but I don't think it's easier and I don't want to hear whistling noises when the AC is on. )
Look you are welcome to chose whatever method you like but
PLEASE JOIN ME IN MY CRUSADE TO STOP INTERNET URBAN LEGENDS

Cutting the duct will NOT result in " WHISTLING " as noted above , there are literally hundreds of people who have used the cut the duct method over removing the dashboard and the world did not end as predicted ,

heck it is only the left side vent that we are talking about not hacking into something as important as the mixing doors or heater box etc

So removing the 4 MM screws to remove the speedometer , making a precision cut in a 1 inch duct with a flexible PVC saw that allows the duct to go back together exactly as it came out is not better than tearing the whole dash out because you are afraid of a whistle

So if I wanted to perpetuate the RUMORS I could say that after looking at that picture above where you have the dash totally torn apart that you are going to create a million rattles in the dash that I would chose not to deal with .....

but I did not

Dave
Old 11-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Cutting the duct will NOT result in " WHISTLING " as noted above , there are literally hundreds of people who have used the cut the duct method over removing the dashboard and the world did not end as predicted ,

heck it is only the left side vent that we are talking about not hacking into something as important as the mixing doors or heater box etc

So removing the 4 MM screws to remove the speedometer , making a precision cut in a 1 inch duct with a flexible PVC saw that allows the duct to go back together exactly as it came out is not better than tearing the whole dash out because you are afraid of a whistle

So if I wanted to perpetuate the RUMORS I could say that after looking at that picture above where you have the dash totally torn apart that you are going to create a million rattles in the dash that I would chose not to deal with .....

but I did not

Dave
, but I think that anyone that reads anything on the internet needs to understand all the information is not there. I was not trying to publish a how to. In fact I published the picture to scare people before they try this, which I why I said, "if you are still interested".

For the cut the duct method, I decided against it as I've "duct" taped things before only to have the tape come loose in places, hence the whistle. Further, I didn't think I could get my hands in that small space and do a good job much less get the HUD removed.

As for my dash rattles, yes and completely agree, and I was therefore very careful on reassembly. I reinstalled the dash and spent over an an hour on adjustments. I used electric fabric electrical tape to avoid tick and scratch noises and plastic tape over some of the hard to get to clips.

Both methods work, I chose mine because I don't like problems down the road and it was best for ME, not to kill an "urban legend". I'm trying to contribute information to this forum from personal DIY experience to help the next person with more options.

Hopefully, you're not SHOUTING about your conjecture and have actually done the "cut the duct" method yourself.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

as I've "duct" taped things before only to have the tape come loose in places, hence the whistle
Have you duct taped the left duct on a C6 and had it whistle as the way it is written it looks that way ....I merely just wanted to clear up the facts that it really would be impossible for that little tiny 1 inch duct to cause any problems if you took your time and made a clean cut .... and you have to admit it is way better than the alternative .....

As for my dash rattles, yes and completely agree, and I was therefore very careful on reassembly. I reinstalled the dash and spent over an an hour on adjustments.
I had my whole install done in an hour and was driving the car

I chose mine because I don't like problems down the road and it was best for ME, not to kill an "urban legend".
And as I stated above , you can chose to do it either way but just don't make a broad brush statement that cutting the duct is going to end up in a whistle.....

Hopefully, you're not SHOUTING about your conjecture and have actually done the "cut the duct" method yourself.
I have done many ......( and not one ended up with a whistle lol lol )

Dave
Old 11-15-2017, 03:43 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you duct taped the left duct on a C6 and had it whistle as the way it is written it looks that way ....I merely just wanted to clear up the facts that it really would be impossible for that little tiny 1 inch duct to cause any problems if you took your time and made a clean cut .... and you have to admit it is way better than the alternative .....

I had my whole install done in an hour and was driving the car

And as I stated above , you can chose to do it either way but just don't make a broad brush statement that cutting the duct is going to end up in a whistle.....

I have done many ......( and not one ended up with a whistle lol lol )

Dave
Do you have a link to "cut method?"
Old 11-15-2017, 05:44 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

but I did not

Dave
WHAT ??!!!....stop internet legends (AKA BS) !!!.....it ain't happnun.....LOL. Theres threads out there right now with internet "Professionals" giving their expertise and theres people out there thanking them for their expertise and they have no clue on if the expert knows what they are talking about or not.....
Old 11-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
WHAT ??!!!....stop internet legends (AKA BS) !!!.....it ain't happnun.....LOL. Theres threads out there right now with internet "Professionals" giving their expertise and theres people out there thanking them for their expertise and they have no clue on if the expert knows what they are talking about or not.....

Dave
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zzjakect
Do you have a link to "cut method?"
I am traveling this week but will try and post when I get home ....

Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windyC6
I cut the duct on my c6 06 after reading the post on cf and did not have any problems and don't have any whistling or noise just a simple job took me about three hours.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:24 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Just did mine last week using the "cut the duct" method and no whistles or any noticeable affects from cutting the duct at all!
everything works exactly as it did before cutting.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Pull the Dash Method:

The purpose of my post was to contribute to this forum that has given me so much information over the years.

I pulled the dash as I wanted to fix several problems including my broken HUD. I was surprised at how easy it is pull the dash and decided to post the results.

I don't mind people saying they used the cut the duct method with excellent results or that my comment on "whistling" sounded like I meant the method always produces that problem. (That was not my intent but I admit it does sound that way. ) If I had to do it all over I would still pull the dash now that know how easy it is, it doesn't mod the car, and should be a permanent long term fix. (That is not to say the cut method will or won't either!!!!!)

I do object to PEOPLE HAVING TO SHOUT for no other reason than to complain. Please say something useful like the last posters that report they had no problem with the "cut the duct" method. That is what makes this forum great and helps other down the road.

Last edited by Dutch08; 11-16-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:32 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Pull the Dash Method:

The purpose of my post was to contribute to this forum that has given me so much information over the years.

I pulled the dash as I wanted to fix several problems including my broken HUD. I was surprised at how easy it is pull the dash and decided to post the results.

I don't mind people saying they used the cut the duct method with excellent results or that my comment on "whistling" sounded like I meant the method always produces that problem. (That was not my intent but I admit it does sound that way. ) If I had to do it all over I would still pull the dash now that know how easy it is, it doesn't mod the car, and should be a permanent long term fix. (That is not to say the cut method will or won't either!!!!!)

I do object to PEOPLE HAVING TO SHOUT for no other reason than to complain. Please say something useful like the last posters that report they had no problem with the "cut the duct" method. That is what makes this forum great and helps other down the road.

I wasn't "complaining".. you made a statement saying that cutting the duct WOULD result in "whistling". (go back and read how you wrote it)
and I replied that cutting the duct in MY car didn't produce ANY whistle.

I'm no stranger to removing the dash pad, as I installed HUD on my '98 Pace Car and had the dash pad out MANY times before.
But by removing the instrument cluster and cutting the duct on the C6 I was able to repair the HUD and reinstall it back into the car in about 1 1/2 hrs total time start to finish!

so no disrespect was meant in my comment.

Last edited by RPOZ4Z; 11-16-2017 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dutch08 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
I wasn't "complaining".. you made a statement saying that cutting the duct WOULD result in "whistling". (go back and read how you wrote it)
so no disrespect was meant in my comment.
None taken.

I said about your post, "Please say something useful like the last posters that report they had no problem". And yes, my initial post was worded poorly. I was actually thinking long term, that the duct tape might come loose and there could be a whistle.

I just get a bit upset when people SHOUT at you, say you're creating myths, and quote you with .

Again I was just trying to contribute and welcome any all intelligent criticism. I appreciate your post and I thank you for both of them.
I'm done with this thread, others can take it down the rat hole if they wish.

I would have liked for this thread to be a useful discussion of the HUD problem which seems to be growing.

Last edited by Dutch08; 11-16-2017 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RPOZ4Z (11-16-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To HUD adjustment

Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am traveling this week but will try and post when I get home ....

Dave
Any chance your traveling to West Virginia this week would like to get you up here to help me change my steering wheel could put you up for the night save you a motel bill
Old 11-16-2017, 02:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
Just did mine last week using the "cut the duct" method and no whistles or any noticeable affects from cutting the duct at all!
everything works exactly as it did before cutting.
Heck...even if someone was worried about "Whistling" or such, seems like a few wraps of one of mans best friends (duct tape) would keep it from making noise ??.......
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jack Forbes
Any chance your traveling to West Virginia this week would like to get you up here to help me change my steering wheel could put you up for the night save you a motel bill
Jack , not traveling till after thanksgiving .... I can walk you through it over the phone , give me a call , I am home next week

Dave

Quick Reply: HUD adjustment